Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > I was so fed up with Windows and Microsoft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

ur20v wrote:
My 2pence.... Linux has a place, it’s just a very small place and very specific. Windows is better supported and runs more applications than anything else by a massive margin so unless you have some specific software, coding or hardware requirements that need Linux you are better off using windows.

I do agree windows has its problems, Microsoft is a beast of a company which means it is blinkered and not as flexible or supportive as it could be. My complaints centre around its vulnerability otherwise from my business prospective and personal Windows is the go to but with IOS for surfing and phone.

Dropping windows is very much tipping the baby out with the bath water.

Pity this thread has got personal and a bit of a pi**ing contest.

One of the best & level headed posts on this thread.

Maybe we should concern ourselves more with what software autonomous vehicles of the future will be using & the consequences of failure ? 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #526237 27th Aug 2019 1:56pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Let’s hope Linux or propriety that is unhackable!! I would hate to see the aftermath of a Russian or chineesium cyber attack on a load of autonomous vehicles at the same time on the M6!

Post #526246 27th Aug 2019 2:52pm
Joe90

England 

@ ur20v

"Linux has a place, it’s just a very small place and very specific. Windows is better supported and runs more applications than anything else by a massive margin so unless you have some specific software, coding or hardware requirements that need Linux you are better off using windows."

Just so not true on all three counts, you clearly didn't read the link I posted (just on smartphones alone linux more or less outscores everything!)

@ AJGalaxy

Good response Very Happy no offence meant or taken Thumbs Up

You are still wrong though Laughing

Just did my quarterly update on machines, my main desktop PC (a beast!). Booted to Windows for the first time since June 7th and started updating. At the same time I started updating, consecutively, my collection of 5 linux laptops, all with full desktop distros on board. Updating all of the laptops took 95 minutes, and no restarts were required. The one Windows machine finally finished updating after 135 minutes, and with 6 restarts along the way - and an awful lot of "Getting Things Ready..."

Back to my dual boot desktop. Both Windows and Linux were fresh installed @ 6 years ago. Gparted tells me Windows is now using 103GB, Linux is using 57GB (all user files saved elsewhere on both).

Solidworks/Autocad ? - https://itsfoss.com/cad-software-linux/
Laser Cutter ? - Laserweb/LaserGRBL/LightBurn
3D Printing ? - https://all3dp.com/1/best-free-3d-printing...r-program/

Keep baiting, I will always take it Smile
(or should I go back to hiding under a bridge, and wait for goats Laughing ) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Last edited by Joe90 on 27th Aug 2019 7:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #526264 27th Aug 2019 6:31pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

O good lots of experts......

Windows 10 has been driving me bonkers, yes updates.

I’m not sure there aren’t other updates going on as well, computer not to hand, so can't name them. Includes the virus protector which also goes on for ever. Apple also updates fairly frequently & is a big update. I switch computer on an hour before I want to use it... not an everyday item anymore.

I found a Microsoft forum, which showed u how to stop the updates, but chickened out. Far to techie for me.

Then I found, that there is a major update of Microsoft ten due around now, so thought with all these complaints they might just sort it out.

Is there an easy way to turn some of this stuff off? With a new iPhone Xs had to update the computer, two hours, then the phone /Apple nonsense, another hour, so all backed up only to find the two phones talked to each other anyway ... I even remembered the encrypted iTunes password on the 6th attempt which is non remindable! Bingo all done........... except the mutual back up tween old and new phone somehow missed the last 6 months & the banks & other tetchie iPhone apps all had to be reloaded ... together with new passwords as old ones long forgotten , anyway I digress.....

Anyway to reduce my start up & turn some of these computer updates off... easily ? Only really use email now and then.. occasionally old files. Most now done on iPad and iPhone

Bill

I should add Superfast internet connections. 100mbs , so that isn’t the issue Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #526268 27th Aug 2019 7:03pm
Joe90

England 

forgot to mention, while waiting for windows to finish updating, I had time to prepare a roast dinner for the family, so +1 for Windows there Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #526273 27th Aug 2019 7:17pm
Joe90

England 

@ Bill

You probably don't want to turn off updates, unless you are going to isolate your Windows PC from the internet. Many of the updates are to patch the security vulnerabilities built in to the underlying software by incompetent Microsoft engineers Wink (Linux has its fair share of security updates too Laughing )

Many people just leave their machines on overnight, for days, or all the time, updates happen quietly in the background, until a restart is required....in which case just get into the habit of rebooting every once in a while. .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #526275 27th Aug 2019 7:23pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Ok Joe... I guess that’s the difference since stopping work , I now turn off the computer...whereas I never did before.

Let’s hope the new update in the autumn does something spectacular!

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #526282 27th Aug 2019 8:26pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

I tend to leave my Windoze10 PC's running 24/7 so most of the updates are done overnight. As a matter of course I do a "hard reset" every week or so.
I have 1 EPoS that still runs XP Pro but that is never connected to the internet so no problems there. In fact many large (& I mean large) retailers EPoS systems are still running ZP with support from independent companies.
What the Linux fans overlook when they tell us how many of the Windoze updates are to target nefariousness activities is that one of the reasons than Linux is not targeted is because the actions of the miscreants will have less overall effect targeting a less popular system.**
I do find it a bit odd that a self proclaimed expert cannot use quotes on a forum properly though.
** A little like the Crapple fans a few years ago. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #526284 27th Aug 2019 8:35pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Agreed, I should have remained more professional. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #526290 27th Aug 2019 9:19pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

"Crapple"??? Did someone say "more professional" Geoff

Post #526298 27th Aug 2019 10:58pm