Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > MOST fibre optic connectors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green
MOST fibre optic connectors

Can someone tell me where I can get a new MOST fibre optic connector ?? Someone thought is was smart to cut the FO connector of my Bluetooth module off, so now the Bluetooth is not working !!

Thanks,

Eugene

Post #56368 24th Mar 2011 9:45am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: MOST fibre optic connectors

ebajema wrote:
Can someone tell me where I can get a new MOST fibre optic connector ?? Someone thought is was smart to cut the FO connector of my Bluetooth module off, so now the Bluetooth is not working !!

Thanks,

Eugene

You can't just buy the connector, as the "cable" is fibre ie glass, so unless you have a cable splicing tool, you can't attach a new connector - you'll need to buy a complete cable assembly I'm afraid!

Post #56390 24th Mar 2011 10:46am
ebajema

Hi Alan, I was afraid of that, although they were able to "loop" the cable (joined both ends) to keep the system going (I think). So I have someone looking for a connector with two bits of cable still on it and see if I can repeat the trick. Otherwise I need a hand splicing tool as well (in Nigeria you can almost find everything) from Europe.
Cheers,
Eugene

Post #56420 24th Mar 2011 12:20pm
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

alanm_3 wrote:

You can't just buy the connector, as the "cable" is fibre ie glass, so unless you have a cable splicing tool, you can't attach a new connector - you'll need to buy a complete cable assembly I'm afraid!

Sorry Alan, thats not strictly speaking true, the problem is finding someone who will sell you just the black connector Shocked You can "take apart" each connector removing the two fibre optic cables - I have done this to extend the MOST circuit on my Wife's D3.

Click image to enlarge

Eugene - Are you looking for a male or female black connector? - Should be male! Also, are the two fibre optic cables with their black end sections that locate into the connector still in place?

If so I may be able to help Thumbs Up

Andy.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #56424 24th Mar 2011 12:59pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ajay(UK) wrote:
alanm_3 wrote:

Sorry Alan, thats not strictly speaking true, the problem is finding someone who will sell you just the black connector Shocked You can "take apart" each connector removing the two fibre optic cables - I have done this to extend the MOST circuit on my Wife's D3.

Click image to enlarge

Eugene - Are you looking for a male or female black connector? - Should be male! Also, are the two fibre optic cables with their black end sections that locate into the connector still in place?

If so I may be able to help Thumbs Up

Andy.

Hi Andy, I agree that you can take the connector apart and use the little black "junction box" to extend the length, but I was sure you had to have the ends on the cable(s) to allow for them to line up inside it? I'm also pretty sure when I did this, each cable on either side of the box clicked into place (using the cable end plug) so it was lined up with the cable plugged into the other side of the box. I can't see how you can line them up if the cables have no plugs on the end of them, but I'm open to be corrected! :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #56426 24th Mar 2011 1:31pm
ebajema

Hi Andy,

It looks like they only cut the connector off, so the wire length is almost all there. Therefore I would normally only need the male connector. However if you can sell me the connector/cable assembly in your picture, I would be very happy as well !!!

Cheers,

Eugene

Post #56446 24th Mar 2011 4:01pm
Ajay(UK)

Hi Eugene,

My first picture may have been slightly misleading as its of a lead designed to extend the MOST circuit to add an extra module, hence 2 x male and 1 x female connector - You would then remove the male connector from an existing module and plug it into the female connector of this new lead, then connect one of the male connectors back into the existing module and the second male connector then plugs into the the new additional module being fitted, in my case the RSE module.

As Alan has already mentioned you need to make sure the plastic end section is still attached to your two loose fibre optic MOST cables that "use to" plug into your bluetooth module - If this is the case then a replacement Male connector will be fine - If either is damaged it will not locate securly in the connector. The pair of cables are held in the connector with a blue plastic locking pin:

Click image to enlarge

You also need to make sure the data "flows" in the correct direction, there are two small arrows on the side of the connector showing data in and out and you should be able to work out which is which by tracing the cable from either of the modules that connect before or after the bluetooth module. Thumbs Up

Andy.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #56451 24th Mar 2011 4:50pm
Ajay(UK)

This may help understand the MOST circuit but its from a D3/RRS Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Post #56453 24th Mar 2011 5:03pm
ebajema

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the info. I am not sure but the end sections on the wire are probably gone, I haven't taken the tape off yet to check but the "joint" seems quite thin. I have found a supplier in Holland that says he has a number of different types of MOST/FO connectors in stock. So hopefully he can supply the replacement male connector.

Andy, the connector assembly you showed could work on my car as I do have a second male connector close to the bluetooth module. I think it is the SDARS module. Now I think about it, can I use the connector from the SDARS unit and leave the SDARS to its own devices since I don't use that anyway......... What do you think ??

Cheers,

Eugene

Post #56462 24th Mar 2011 5:35pm
Ajay(UK)

ebajema wrote:
Now I think about it, can I use the connector from the SDARS unit and leave the SDARS to its own devices since I don't use that anyway......... What do you think ??

Cheers,

Eugene

Yep that should be fine Thumbs Up Unplug the MOST connector from the SDARS module and plug it into the Bluetooth module if the cable is long enough Rolling Eyes

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.

Post #56469 24th Mar 2011 6:34pm
ebajema

Hi Andy,

Thanks, going to try that. Also just checked but the cable end sections are still on, so I just need the connector itself.

Cheers,

Eugene MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #56472 24th Mar 2011 6:42pm
Ajay(UK)

PM your address and I am sure we can sort something out Thumbs Up 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.

Post #56475 24th Mar 2011 6:46pm
ebajema

Just realized I never closed this out but Andy helped me getting a connector that made the whole system work fine again (once the new BT module from Wiggs was installed) !! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #271555 18th Jul 2014 9:10am
jonlewis

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

As an aside to this, the TMC unit only seems to have a single connector where everything else is two.... is that normal ? 2011 Stornaway Grey 5.0SC Autobiography

Post #271563 18th Jul 2014 10:30am
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

alanm_3 wrote:
ebajema wrote:

Thanks,

Eugene

It's actually plastic, cheaper and generally more robust - important for automotive certification procedures. Glass fibres can be seriously expensive and generally automotive stuff gets even more expensive.

It's usually more difficult to certify a system for use in an automotive environment than a military. Certain electrical systems are not only not supposed to survive a 120V spike from a load-dump but also continue working through them!

Hence why using POF would be preferable because once you've gone through the automotive certification it'll have at least tripled in cost. Besides - I know that FFRR's are big but I don't think you need the ~10km range of normal fibre optics... Thumbs Up

Post #271679 18th Jul 2014 7:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>