Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > How to measure oil dilution
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jase71

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black
How to measure oil dilution

Anybody know how to read the level of oil dilution? One of my colleagues Disco 5 has just had an engine failure on his Td6 after 25,000 miles from new Shocked

My Td6 Vogue only goes on long journeys so I am hoping DPF regeneration cycles are unhindered but it did get me wondering if there is a way to check oil dilution on the car so that I can decide if an interim oil change is required?

I have covered 53,000 miles in my 2017 Td6 Vogue and have therefore had short calendar based intervals on the servicing but have of course done the miles..

Assume the Disco 5 Td6 is the same as the Vogue's in 2017?

Thanks in advance! 2017 Range Rover Vogue V6 Diesel
2006 Range Rover Vogue V8 Diesel - gone

Post #527007 4th Sep 2019 9:23am
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I understand that the software for the service indicator measures the oil dilution and will indicate that a service is required if the dilution level is outside the acceptable range

Post #527034 4th Sep 2019 1:30pm
ianmacd

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Epsom Green

I am not convinced it measures it rather than calculating the likely value. Having an issue on the wifes disco sport having the service interval for the 4th time in just over a year :O. Current: RR L322 2010
Past: RR L405 2017, RR L322 2012, 2008 & 2004, 2018 D5, 2016 Defender, 2011 D4, a few Disco2s, P38, RR Classic, couple of Disco1's, SIII SWB

Post #527051 4th Sep 2019 3:39pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Do you use Shell oil ?
The reason I ask.... Shell UK offer an oil testing process , where by sending in a sample of the used oil they will analyse it and report back by email the test results.

Click image to enlarge

I have no idea how much they charge, but you could enquire about the service ??

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #527054 4th Sep 2019 4:26pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

ianmacd wrote:
I am not convinced it measures it rather than calculating the likely value. Having an issue on the wifes disco sport having the service interval for the 4th time in just over a year :O.

Absolutely. If you want the dilution figure, you’ll need to get a sample of oil analysed. All the car does is count the number of times that the engine’s stopped mid regen and then guess the level of dilution from there.

There seems to be no connection between oil change frequency and crank failure on V6’s (this subject has been done to death on Disco 3/4), it just seems down to chance Sad

Post #527057 4th Sep 2019 5:08pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

My understanding is that a software upgrade last year was responsible for increased frequency of services being indicated because it increased the sensitivity of the system to oil dilution.. Certainly this is what I was told by Land Rover customer services.
When mine indicated that it needed a service the dealer checked the oil dilution percentage to confirm this. I am not sure how the percentage was checked but that is what they said they did.

Post #527059 4th Sep 2019 5:22pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

The condition of the oil as regards dilution is not actually measured on the car.
The dilution level is determined using an algorithm which takes into account various inputs from the car.
As far as I can determine the dilution rate is at best a calculated or educated guess and may or may not reflect the true condition of the oil.

How on earth manufactures now produce cars with engines that dilute engine oil with diesel fuel if they are not driven in a certain manner is beyond me. The fact it now seems acceptable to drive a car with diesel contaminated engine oil seems bizarre to me, given the effort that goes into producing quality oils.

Even more bizarre is the fact that LR have now issued guidance to sales staff to determine the driving styles of new customers in order to allow them to decide if the potential customer should really be allowed to buy a particular car ie a diesel car with a dpf.

Personally I hope not to have to buy a diesel engined car in the future probably going to petrol, but even petrol cars are likely to have to be fitted with dpf's in the near future.

It never ends.

For info,

Post #527061 4th Sep 2019 5:27pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I get "Service Required" when I start up but the car was fully serviced only in January this year and has done only about 8k miles since then. Given the uncertainty (there doesn't seem to be a reliable way of knowing if the oil is compromised) is it simply best just to get the oil changed or am I missing something.

Or should I just ignore the message? Cool Geoff

Post #527086 4th Sep 2019 7:09pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

In the last 5 years I have run 2 x RRS L494, 1 FFRR TDV6 3.0, and now a FFRR 4.4. All have been back to the dealers with service required messages on average every 3k miles and all have been under warranty. Bar the 4.4 all the other vehicles have had, under request, the oil dilution levels checked and apparently each time they were within tolerance under 6.1pc. Various software updates were carried out to reduce the dpf sensor sensitivity (to no avail) and no oil changes were carried out.
Only the 4.4 which was purchased from a different dealer, received an oil change without any request. Their service dept said they carry out oil changes automatically when the service message comes on prematurely.

Post #527152 5th Sep 2019 1:31pm
ianmacd

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Epsom Green

supershuttle wrote:
I get "Service Required" when I start up but the car was fully serviced only in January this year and has done only about 8k miles since then. Given the uncertainty (there doesn't seem to be a reliable way of knowing if the oil is compromised) is it simply best just to get the oil changed or am I missing something.

Or should I just ignore the message? Cool

I would take it to the dealers but guessing if your profile is correct you shouldn't be affected as thought it was only the newer engines with the adblue that had this issue? Current: RR L322 2010
Past: RR L405 2017, RR L322 2012, 2008 & 2004, 2018 D5, 2016 Defender, 2011 D4, a few Disco2s, P38, RR Classic, couple of Disco1's, SIII SWB

Post #527153 5th Sep 2019 2:03pm
supershuttle

Sods law in a good way - just ordered 10L of oil and a filter - message gone! Geoff

Post #527437 9th Sep 2019 10:28am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

the message is probably still there , its just decided to keep it quiet for a while
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #527466 9th Sep 2019 4:51pm
supershuttle

Yep it came back!!! Geoff

Post #527482 9th Sep 2019 7:22pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I get the service required message on my SDV8 4.4 around every 3k miles since I retired and don't do many long journeys any more. The dealer said it was due to the lack of prolonged higher speeds over distance which I try to do if I can, as I don't want a DPF failure. I used to do 15k miles a year, now do around 5k. When they checked my oil it was at 8% saturation so had to be changed as over the recommended limit. I does seem stupid that now I do a 3rd of my old yearly mileage I now have to change the oil once or twice a year between services, all so an engine can meet emission regulations. True what they say though, I'm pretty sure my next car is going to be a petrol engine, but I don't want an SVR gas guzzler and as I like to buy my cars around a year old , I'll have to wait for a 2nd hand 4L petrol FFRR as they've only just come out. This will at least avoid the DPF, diesel in oil and not enough long runs scenarios relating to diesel engines. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #527999 14th Sep 2019 4:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1