Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Suspension & Drivetrain Gurus - talk me off the ledge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pherplexed

United States 
Suspension & Drivetrain Gurus - talk me off the ledge

So I started with this post a few days after I got my new-to-me 2016 SCV8 back in June. Now that I’ve had it for a couple of months, I can't decide if I have legitimate problems or if I'm obsessing over nothing.

Basically three things with the suspension and one thing on the drivetrain (more on that at the very end) have been bothering me since I got it in June and hoping for some feedback.

1) I keep hearing a short, loud hum/goan/rubbing sound from the rear when turning right...but only when going over an uneven dip (like pulling out of a parking lot).

2) I have not driven any other L405's so I can't decide if the front suspension noise is loud or normal. It definitely pops pretty loudly when riding over bad roads and the ride in general feels more rough than I would have expected.

3) The front suspension raises up a noticeable amount every time I crank the car. Makes me think it's loosing air up front. I know some movement is pretty typical as the suspension system levels out, but my LR4 only made minor adjustments...this is quite noticeable.

I took it into the dealer for issues 1 & 2 and they claimed they couldn't reproduce either issue. I went back a second time and they had the master tech ride with me. I was able to reproduce both concerns and he confirmed he heard them both. Regardless, they kept the car for 3 days and said they didn't see anything so they just ran a bunch of software updates and gave it back saying it was fixed - but I can still reproduce both.

Now a new one has popped up since getting it back: I hear a grinding sound from the middle of the car when accelerating from a stop and turning. Assuming their software updates have caused something else to behave strangely they didn't intend.

So - am I obsessing or should I keep pestering the dealer to look deeper? It's a CPO purchase so I know it couldn't have passed inspection if there was something majorly wrong. But man...these things are going to drive me nuts until I know ether a) it's normal or b) they can be fixed.

ps: despite these little niggles, I’m absolutely in love with this car. Just ready to stop obsessing 😄 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #524727 14th Aug 2019 12:45am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I would push for an oil change then re-calibration for both the rear diff and the transfer case, along with an inspection of the drained oils. Calibration of each only takes a few seconds but can only be done with a suitable diagnostic device which the dealer will have.

Post #524728 14th Aug 2019 2:44am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Exactly what Graeme says above sir... Thumbs Up

Post #524740 14th Aug 2019 8:11am
pherplexed

United States 

Thank you both for the advice. Was digging through TOPIx and found a TSB that references the exact clunking sound when accelerating & turning that can possibly be addressed via software update (LTB01076NAS3):

Quote:

SITUATION:
A 'clonk' noise from underneath the vehicle may be evident when driving at low vehicle speed. The noise is most prominent while accelerating/decelerating and when turning the steering wheel, such as when performing a U-turn and applying the throttle.

CAUSE:
This may be caused by a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software error causing incorrect torque application of the powertrain.

Then again, this only started after they ran software updates for the suspension last time...not sure if the PCM was part of their process or not. Should I bring this up or just push for what GraemeS recommends? 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #524778 14th Aug 2019 1:20pm
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I think i have that clonk noise with my late 2015 SC AB, when setting off from a junction it feels like Im dragging a wheel or something, strangely doesnt do it every set off but sounds really scary at times. Thought maybe a duff tyre but surely I’d feel that when driving at speed.

I dont think its grinding like yours pherplexed but the update could explain it. I was told mines 100% up to date last service in July and I trust the lads that do the work at Land Rover Leyburn.

May still query the cost of the diff recalibration though Thumbs Up

Post #526032 24th Aug 2019 9:23pm
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

I’ve had problems with the transfer box which produces a grinding noise when applying a lot of lock at low speed.

It’s the subject of a Technical Bulletin, something like LTB 00609.

Early models (mine’s a 2014) had their boxes filled with the wrong type of oil at the factory....... Rolling Eyes

Mine’s now had an oil change (LTB Phase 1, made no difference) and LTB Phase 2, new transfer box internals (made it worse).

After the new internals, it developed a massive oil leak on holiday in France. Lots of smoke as the oil got onto the exhaust pipes, fear of a fire, etc and two and a half weeks to recover it.

Going back to Hunters, Guildford again soon, more in hope than expectation to be honest.

Post #526441 29th Aug 2019 11:57am
pherplexed

United States 

Update / Recap:
The dealer kept my car for over a week and were finally able to locate a place that would replicate the noises for them consistently.

They determined it was the front ACE valve block and anti-roll bar bushings that needed replacing. So far, the groaning and popping noises seem to be gone. The suspension popping is still a bit louder than I would expect for a Range Rover but it's much, much better now, so I'll call it a win. 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #527110 4th Sep 2019 9:14pm
Triarii

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Mine was bumping a bit too much over speed bumps and potholes. Took a look at the 4x4i screen whilst fiddling about and it shows restricted movement of the two offside suspension dampers - so off to the stealers. This could also be your issue. 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #527164 5th Sep 2019 4:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1