Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > NavTool - Carplay, HDMI mirroring, video in etc. 2008 L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 12 <123 ... 789 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Djbonsu

United States 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I removed the lower b pillar trim around the drivers side (US spec) seat which gave me some play in the carpet. Since I ran all the wires on that same side, I loosened the rear of the console and used a long pile to fish the wires to the rear of the console. In hindsight I could have removed the drivers seat (I recommend doing that or loosing the rear drivers seat bolts as my method was pretty challenging trying to get the wiring over the tunnel) to allow more slack in the carpet. Hope that helps/makes sense. Also when you have it all connected, be sure
To test the system with the truck off and on to check for possible ground loop/humming in the signal. Good luck!

Post #567549 20th Sep 2020 5:59pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Well, a lot of wires, soldering and :censored:ing about and it’s in and working. Great bit of kit, but a couple of points to note.

1. As mentioned above, the mic cable isn’t really long enough - you need an extension. The mic doesn’t seem all that either so I may look for a better one.

2. Make sure your 3.5 aux cable is long enough, I used an extension and it was obviously not good enough quality as it added loads of interference. It’s in, albeit temporarily with a bit of gaffa tape until I can get a longer cable.

3. The long USB cable I bought wasn’t good enough, it charged but car play wouldn’t recognise my phone, it was fine when I connected directly with a lightning in the boot so I’m going to get a long lightning cable and run it to the cubby.

All in all, not too painful, connect it up, check it works, go back and solder the connections and insulate, fix the unit and the connections then run your various cables. I had to turn it on and off a few times and cycle through the various screens a couple of times, but now it works fine.

Not the best pic I’m afraid, but you get the idea.

Post #567564 20th Sep 2020 9:24pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Djbonsu wrote:
I removed the lower b pillar trim around the drivers side (US spec) seat which gave me some play in the carpet. Since I ran all the wires on that same side, I loosened the rear of the console and used a long pile to fish the wires to the rear of the console. In hindsight I could have removed the drivers seat (I recommend doing that or loosing the rear drivers seat bolts as my method was pretty challenging trying to get the wiring over the tunnel) to allow more slack in the carpet. Hope that helps/makes sense. Also when you have it all connected, be sure
To test the system with the truck off and on to check for possible ground loop/humming in the signal. Good luck!

Just seen this, thanks, im going to revisit the auxiliary wiring, the mic was fairly easy and I think I’ve figured out a route beneath the back seats to the centre console - we’ll see from there.

Completely agree, connect, test, then finalise the connections. It’s a bit fiddly but the Navtool video is quite good. I do seem to have a connector left over but seeing as everything seems to work, I’ll not worry too much about it Thumbs Up

Post #567565 20th Sep 2020 9:30pm
L_G_D

Poland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

My unit after a year stopped working. It displays a black screen all the time but reacts to touch.
It started with a flashing screen and now it's dead. I must send the device to navtool.

Post #568863 4th Oct 2020 11:44am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Is it working on the original screen setup? Have you switched from NavTool to Land Rover on the screen? John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #568864 4th Oct 2020 11:51am
L_G_D

Yeap, everything works except navtool. Navtool is responding, after U press NAV button the screen is black, U can click on the screen, U hear the bleep noise and nothing else.
I checked the cables, connections, nothing is disconnected.

Post #568924 4th Oct 2020 7:51pm
Weegie

Looks as if it may have to go back to them. They did replace my original unit which was giving disorted audio from the outset.

Have you tried using an HDMI cable to see if that works? John
GAP iiD BT

Post #568964 5th Oct 2020 1:44pm
L_G_D

It's not like that. I hold the NAV button, the system switches to Navtool but the screen is black. It responds to the touch because you can hear a bleep. But you can't see anything.

Post #568992 5th Oct 2020 8:11pm
Weegie

I understand that. Have you contacted NavTool? John
GAP iiD BT

Post #569009 6th Oct 2020 7:45am
L_G_D

Yes, the told to send it for inspection.

Post #569525 11th Oct 2020 6:48pm
abalanos

France 

Hello,

I am trying to decide if I would go pure Android or the NavTool option and this tread has been extremely helpful.
Albeit it's price, I think that NavTool is a very cool gadget that combines both worlds.
So I have some questions for the NavTool users here.

1. When you turn the ignition off, does the intrerface remembers your last choice, i.e. does it goes automatically to the NavTool display next time you turn it back on, or you have to select it every time?

2. For Android users:
--What is the difference between the HDMI and the USB connection? If I understand correctly, USB is for Android Auto and HDMI is for phone mirror?
--When in mirror, does the touch screen work?

3. They say you can connect a USB key and scroll songs etc through the screen. Any confirmation?
Can one connect a USB key and a phone at the same time?

4. Aux connection...
For the cars that have RES things are simple and easy as the Aux plug is already there and active.
For the cars that don't there are two possibilities:
--A MOST interface to plug in to the MOST system directly, but doesn't this mean you will not be able to have sound from the original head unit anymore?
-- The second option is it connect directly to the rear of the unit, effectively adding the Aux input.
This of course entails enabling the Aux function, but can be done with the IID tool or SDD.
Any preference sound quality wise?

Any pros and cons besides the obvious?

Thank you all, Aristides.
2006 Range Rover 4.4 V8

Post #570374 20th Oct 2020 10:24am
jkmmrs

United States 2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

On the first question: I have to push the Navigation button each time to activate CarPlay with my NavTool. It’s a wired connection so it gets plugged in when entering the truck and disconnected upon exit. The only item that is retained from previous use is the “AUX” for the sound source.

Post #570703 23rd Oct 2020 12:29am
jkmmrs

To be clear, it’s my iPhone that gets plugged in each time I enter the truck

Post #570704 23rd Oct 2020 12:31am
abalanos

France 

Thanks JK.
That's what I thought. Aristides.
2006 Range Rover 4.4 V8

Post #570706 23rd Oct 2020 6:51am
jkmmrs

Related to the second question: my system is not Android (it's Apple CarPlay), but one nice feature of NavTool is that it has both an HDMI and a USB connection. So I have two cables running from the left rear of the truck up to the center console. When pressing the HDMI option, I connect my Roku stick to that cable and can then stream TV (YouTube TV) or movies (Netflix) on the front screen for the passenger to enjoy. When pressing the CarPlay option, I connect my iPhone to the USB/lightning cord for that. The touch screen works for the CarPlay but when using Roku I need to use its remote control, not the touch screen. Since installing it a few months ag, the NavTool has worked flawlessly and really makes my 2007 FFRR seem like a newer vehicle.

Post #570724 23rd Oct 2020 12:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 12 <123 ... 789 101112>