Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > NavTool - Carplay, HDMI mirroring, video in etc. 2008 L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 12 <123 ... 89 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
jkmmrs

United States 2007 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Few other points:
1. I tried a smart phone mirroring device but returned it. It just displays the iPhone on the front screen but it was a low quality image and pretty useless
2. I really wanted to tap into the MOST system for sound, using my CD player connection (I removed the CD player and put in a MOST loop to keep the system intact). I bought and then returned a NavTV audio interface unit - it needs a toggle switch to work and I didn't want to add yet another step to the process. If anyone can figure this out I'd be really interested - there must be a way.
3. Having said that, the sound from the AUX is fine and quality-wise I can't distinguish it from the MOST sound quality. However, there typically is a volume difference - so if you switch from AUX to MOST you will need to turn down the volume and vice versa.

Post #570725 23rd Oct 2020 12:57pm
jkmmrs

It's probably all MOST - but the sound volume differential in my case is between the AUX and the RADIO buttons

Post #570726 23rd Oct 2020 1:03pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Which Roku do you use and any particular reason for Roku as opposed to other sticks? John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #570727 23rd Oct 2020 1:29pm
jkmmrs

I use the basic Roku Express (costs about $25-30 in the U.S.) because I already had it prior to buying a Smart TV. To use when driving, it's necessary to add an AC/DC power inverter as well as a plug-in WiFi device (I use a Verizon WiFi Jetpack)

Post #570729 23rd Oct 2020 1:46pm
Weegie

Thank you. Thumbs Up John
GAP iiD BT

Post #570732 23rd Oct 2020 2:12pm
abalanos

France 

jkmmrs wrote:
Few other points:
1. I tried a smart phone mirroring device but returned it. It just displays the iPhone on the front screen but it was a low quality image and pretty useless
2. I really wanted to tap into the MOST system for sound, using my CD player connection (I removed the CD player and put in a MOST loop to keep the system intact). I bought and then returned a NavTV audio interface unit - it needs a toggle switch to work and I didn't want to add yet another step to the process. If anyone can figure this out I'd be really interested - there must be a way.
3. Having said that, the sound from the AUX is fine and quality-wise I can't distinguish it from the MOST sound quality. However, there typically is a volume difference - so if you switch from AUX to MOST you will need to turn down the volume and vice versa.

Thanks again for all the info, really appreciated.
What was happening to the CD screen when you had the CD disconnected?

I think Aux volume difference must be because the NavTool audio output is not a stable pre-amp output but direct from the connected phone's audio/headphones.

My plan is to have a phone always connected, which I think will make a less fiddly system.
Of course, this set-up presents another question, if it would be possible, while having one phone permanently connected and playing through NavTool (music or maps) to have my normal phone connected to the car's Bluetooth and receiving calls as it would normally ?

All the best,
Aristides Aristides.
2006 Range Rover 4.4 V8

Post #570736 23rd Oct 2020 2:47pm
Weegie

I cannot see why not. You would need to have the NavTool connected phone unpaired and the other phone the one that is paired. Curious to know why you would use two phones?

My own setup is the Navtool and my car also has the Land Rover VPLME system. I have an iPod4 permanently connected to the VPLME. I use an iPhone 11 for Spotify, Waze etc. My phone will pair with the cars bluetooth for calls which means it is using the LR system rather than the NavTool for calls.

As said before, to access CarPlay with the phone connected to Navtool it is merely a question of holding the NAV buttom to access the system.

With AUX selected the system works with the Navtool. The advantage is that I can switch to the iPod by selecting CD instead of AUX. To switch between the two systems only needs toggling between AUX and CD.

If I don't connect the phone, selecting CD gives me the iPod as the Navtool is bypassed in favour of the original LR system

Don't know if that helps. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #570739 23rd Oct 2020 3:47pm
abalanos

France 

<>

Good to know, thanks.

The VPLME is another option I am considering. It definitely, and very elegantly, solves the music problem. Aristides.
2006 Range Rover 4.4 V8

Post #570747 23rd Oct 2020 4:36pm
jkmmrs

Don't recall what the CD display was showing when I pulled out the CD player - hadn't used it in 8 years or so and didn't think that I ever would - so I pulled it out, with the objective of finding other uses for the power and MOST connections there. Have installed a USB charger to the available CD power connection. Currently, the CD MOST connection is in a passive loop. Ideally, I'd like to find a way to have the NavTook CarPlay system plays its audio via the CD MOST connection via the CD button instead of the AUX button - just haven't figured out how to accomplish that yet.

Post #570842 24th Oct 2020 6:54pm
Weegie

Not sure about that but I would think you would have to find some way of feeding the audio from the NavTool to the vehicle amp? John
GAP iiD BT

Post #570843 24th Oct 2020 6:59pm
abalanos

France 

It's doable, you would need a Fiber-Optic Decoder.

Something like this, available from many sources:
https://xtrons.com/fibre-optic-decoder-fobb05

Still wonder what the CD display would show in this case.
I think that using the Aux connection is a more elegant solution, unless of course there is a difference in audio quality. Aristides.
2006 Range Rover 4.4 V8

Post #570857 25th Oct 2020 6:34am
jkmmrs

Yes, thanks for the link. That was what I was trying to achieve with the audio interface from NavTV. Agree it's only worth it if the sound quality is better, which may be doubtful. Otherwise, my thought was that using the CD MOST connection would avoid having a cable always plugged into the AUX input - but certainly not worth spending almost the cost of the NavTool product all over again to get there (which would be the case with the NavTV unit).

Post #570875 25th Oct 2020 11:26am
abalanos

France 

From what I know you can connect at the back of the unit directly, at the Aux input plug and run a line to where ever you want.
This even works for cars without the RES, but in this case the Aux input must be activated with IIDtool or SSD.
There is a good video on youtube about this.

If you already have the Aux plug you could also tap an input from behind the console and again run it in the front somewhere. Aristides.
2006 Range Rover 4.4 V8

Post #570896 25th Oct 2020 4:28pm
MrPony2008

United States 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Barolo Black
Considering this unit

Can you tell me that if you have this unit installed with RSE how does the RSE interact with Apple / Android car play?

Post #571330 30th Oct 2020 4:49pm
revilo2301

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Out of interest has anyone tried one of these to turn wired CarPlay into wireless? Had one in my old Peugeot that came with factory CarPlay, and on an Android head unit too - worked a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlinkit-Wireles...3&th=1

Post #571492 1st Nov 2020 5:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 12 <123 ... 89 101112>