Home > Technical (L405) > New battery....same old low battery message
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

brad s1 wrote:
roberlar wrote:
I see your point, and thanks for your input, but assume info in the owners handbook is deemed works capable by the humble owner and it doesn't mention anything other than physical requirements of changing the primary battery

Per the service manual regarding new battery changeover.

"Using Land Rover approved diagnostic equipment, reset the battery monitoring system (BMS)"

Many thanks for your help, it doesn't say that in my handbook, but you might well be right and a solution I will explore

Post #533745 10th Nov 2019 8:09pm
roberlar

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Both batteries and the software update was done when I changed my batteries... Still get the same message back again 18 months later!
It’s probably because I don’t use/drive it enough! I don’t think it’s done 2k since I bought it!

Same here, I drive a different works vehicle most of the time. Never had a starting issue, but when I do want to go out on a frosty morning the biggest letdown is when the FBH won't complete it's duration. 1st world problem tho!

Post #533747 10th Nov 2019 8:17pm
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

No problem, hopefully that is the remedy to your issue. Let us know.

Post #533759 10th Nov 2019 8:46pm
roberlar

Thanks Brad, your advice makes sense and I'll post results accordingly

Post #533760 10th Nov 2019 8:51pm
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

2 Battery, non stop/start VSE, 2014.

I had the low battery warning for a long time despite charging the battery with a c-tek all the time.

I went to an independent LR workshop (Keith Gott, Hants) and chatted to them while they were looking at the problem.

Battery checks they did all looked fine - volts, amps, no load, under load, updated the battery management software etc but still the message.

With no other options seeming available, they changed the main battery and did the new battery reset via the OBD socket.

No problem since, about 4 months ago.

With the original battery apparently fine, that only leaves you with the new battery reset as the solution to the problem.

I wondered if they’d left the old battery in place but told the car it had a new one, if that might have done the trick as well, but heigh ho.

Post #534036 13th Nov 2019 10:26am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

interesting , thank you... Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #534037 13th Nov 2019 10:32am
roberlar

Unnecessary quote removed

Having done a bit more research I've read that only the primary battery is monitored and the aux battery is for assistance in cold climate starting or just extra starting oomph as required, plus stop/start if applicable. On the other hand I also read the aux battery operates and maintains certain aspects of the electrical system. And then some people with stop/start say they have disconnected the battery altogether which wouldn't be good if the battery maintained other aspects.

I wouldn't have thought the aux battery would be man enough for starting purposes on its own as it's a fair bit smaller, plus it seems there are different size aux batteries depending on year. Plus I wouldn't have thought the car could differentiate between the state of two batteries and advise accordingly. So given that I have replaced the primary battery, perhaps a reset might be the answer Confused

Post #534092 13th Nov 2019 4:36pm
charlie croker mk2

England 

In the Autel service tool there is a page to reset the back up battery , but I think this is only used for the telematics in the 3.0 models as there is also a routine to reset the telematics themselves after disconnecting / replacing the small battery ( 15 ah agm) the 2nd battery in the v8 cars is huge by comparison !

Post #534168 13th Nov 2019 11:02pm
Goodfella

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Causeway Grey

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Mine has two batteries and NO stop start system... The engine starts from the smaller battery in the side compartment. This is also an AGM battery...

I replaced both my batteries 18 months ago and i still get the low battery warning if i don't use the car is 5 or 6 days!

I can put the car on my CTek trickle charger and it can take 3 days solid for it to reach optimum level, then park it for 72 hrs and the low battery warning will chirp up again!

Our D4 is exactly the same! If not used for 10days or so it will bleep up Low Battery! this can take 3 or 4 days on the CTek to charge to optimal! Although this car has start stop system!
We drove to cornwall recently in the D4. Before we left the Low Battery warning was showing and it took until Falmouth for the stop start system to kick back in Shocked so, a good 3 to 4 hours of driving!!! Much more than i thought it would take...

Bonjour Obi Cam Craigobi,

Did you try the “new battery” reset with an OBD approach for yours? If so did it work?

Post #662719 24th Apr 2023 4:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12