Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > New battery....same old low battery message
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
New battery....same old low battery message

Fitted a new battery a few weeks ago on the basis that 'low battery please start engine' appeared quite regularly and this restricts certain functions such as FBH operation which I would like to operate properly during the coming months. Now the same old message has re-appeared. I would have thought low battery voltage would trigger this message, however as I previously suspected I think this message is based on duration of journeys rather than actual battery voltage. I've noticed from driving habits that a few short journeys in daylight, aircon switched off and minimal battery drain almost always trigger the message. Drive a longer journey with lights on, aircon etc. and it disappears. Thankfully, I had use for the old battery, but it seems to me the diagnostics work on duration of journeys rather than the actual sate of the battery ? Rolling Eyes

Post #533659 9th Nov 2019 8:25pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Do you have 2 batteries ?

Did you replace them both ?

Post #533674 10th Nov 2019 12:16am
roberlar

Thanks Alistair, thought I only had one but you're correct Bow down There's another one clamped in behind the right hand side panel in the boot. Any idea if this is an AGM battery as well and what non JLR batteries might fit ? Can't see much info with it in situ. Looks a bit of a Censored to change too

Post #533713 10th Nov 2019 3:37pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

from my research Rob i have found that the aux battery in the rear right cubby is for the stop start system..

some early 4.4 without stop/start also had these aux batterys fitted and owners of these have had flat aux batterys with no battery warnings.....

did you reset the battery monitor when you fitted your new main battery? dont know whether this makes a difference to your battery warning but its is worth exploring.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #533715 10th Nov 2019 3:52pm
roberlar

Thanks Stan, according to the manual for my car if it had stop start there'd be an 'Eco' button to enable / disable which is next to the ASL button on the centre console. Mine has the ASL button only so I assume no stop / start facility. Do you know what the aux battery powers in absence of this ? Also I didn't reset the battery monitor as I'd read somewhere that on the L405 you don't need to and it doesn't mention this in the manual either. It does have guidance on changing the main battery but doesn't mention the auxilliary battery at all....i'm a bit confused Confused

Post #533720 10th Nov 2019 5:18pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i cant think why the early 4.4's had an aux battery...maybe the electronics were older and more power dependent than the newer 4.4's.

again from what i have found on the interweb, the early 3 litres had aux baterys for the stop/start whereas my 16my has a VQM [voltage quality monitor] with capacitor ...you never know what LR get up to in their R&D dept.

edit, re your problem, i've had a search and some of the massages have been solved by either telling the battery monitoring system that a new battery has been fitted or a dealer software update..
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39744...ry+message ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #533722 10th Nov 2019 5:50pm
roberlar

Yes, seems a bit odd, it's not a small battery either and is tucked in amongst a whole load of wiring / fuses and held in place with long screw down clamps. When I bought the new primary battery a short while ago the search on my reg number showed the need for an AGM battery with stop start capability Confused I'm happy to change the aux battery if needs be but any info or spec seems thin on the ground. Care with the spanner required here too as it looks easy to short something out. Thanks for your research and hopefully a bit more info might come to light in due course.

Post #533727 10th Nov 2019 6:41pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mine has two batteries and NO stop start system... The engine starts from the smaller battery in the side compartment. This is also an AGM battery...

I replaced both my batteries 18 months ago and i still get the low battery warning if i don't use the car is 5 or 6 days!

I can put the car on my CTek trickle charger and it can take 3 days solid for it to reach optimum level, then park it for 72 hrs and the low battery warning will chirp up again!

Our D4 is exactly the same! If not used for 10days or so it will bleep up Low Battery! this can take 3 or 4 days on the CTek to charge to optimal! Although this car has start stop system!
We drove to cornwall recently in the D4. Before we left the Low Battery warning was showing and it took until Falmouth for the stop start system to kick back in Shocked so, a good 3 to 4 hours of driving!!! Much more than i thought it would take...

Post #533728 10th Nov 2019 6:47pm
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

I'm assuming you haven't registered them huh? This is likely the issue. When you install a new battery you need a capable diagnostic to register the new battery to the cars computer. If the old battery was going bad and faulted, those codes are stored and will keep resurfacing. The cars ECU needs to know you've fit a new battery, it'll benchmark it and clear the stored codes.

Post #533734 10th Nov 2019 7:34pm
roberlar

I see your point, and thanks for your input, but assume info in the owners handbook is deemed works capable by the humble owner and it doesn't mention anything other than physical requirements of changing the primary battery

Post #533738 10th Nov 2019 7:46pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Both batteries and the software update was done when I changed my batteries... Still get the same message back again 18 months later!
It’s probably because I don’t use/drive it enough! I don’t think it’s done 2k since I bought it!

Post #533739 10th Nov 2019 7:50pm
brad s1

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

roberlar wrote:
I see your point, and thanks for your input, but assume info in the owners handbook is deemed works capable by the humble owner and it doesn't mention anything other than physical requirements of changing the primary battery

Per the service manual regarding new battery changeover.

"Using Land Rover approved diagnostic equipment, reset the battery monitoring system (BMS)"

Post #533740 10th Nov 2019 7:53pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

this is from the WM Rob,

if you get the battery monitor reset it 'might' solve the message problem.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #533741 10th Nov 2019 7:54pm
roberlar

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Mine has two batteries and NO stop start system... The engine starts from the smaller battery in the side compartment. This is also an AGM battery...

I replaced both my batteries 18 months ago and i still get the low battery warning if i don't use the car is 5 or 6 days!

I can put the car on my CTek trickle charger and it can take 3 days solid for it to reach optimum level, then park it for 72 hrs and the low battery warning will chirp up again!

Our D4 is exactly the same! If not used for 10days or so it will bleep up Low Battery! this can take 3 or 4 days on the CTek to charge to optimal! Although this car has start stop system!
We drove to cornwall recently in the D4. Before we left the Low Battery warning was showing and it took until Falmouth for the stop start system to kick back in Shocked so, a good 3 to 4 hours of driving!!! Much more than i thought it would take...

That's confused me even more Craig Smile as the engine turned over perfectly which I would assume means the secondary battery (which I haven't replaced) is in good order. I suppose the acid test (pardon the pun) arrives when the car won't start, which is probably the easiest diagnosis as to which battery needs replacing

Post #533742 10th Nov 2019 7:59pm
roberlar

stan wrote:
this is from the WM Rob,

if you get the battery monitor reset it 'might' solve the message problem..

Thanks Stan, saw this info a short while ago, done the left to right steering and will see how it goes Very Happy

Post #533744 10th Nov 2019 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>