Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > DMS 4.4 remap opinion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver
DMS 4.4 remap opinion

A friend of mine’s got a 2015 VSE with the early, lower bhp/torque figures, like my car.

He’s just has a remap from DMS Automotive and I tried it the other day.

First reaction is it’s smoother. You can feel it through the seat of your pants and the steering wheel. He was told that was down to the switching off the EGR circuit. DMS have tried it with and without the EGR and EGR off is definitely better apparently.

It pulls better from lower revs with a smoother off throttle/on throttle transition.

There is definitely a noticeable increase in torque, grunt if you like, when you put your foot down and acceleration is stronger.

No info yet on fuel economy but it’s supposed to be 3 or 4 mpg better.

Would I have it done?

Well it’s tempting. Speaking to some people at JLR involved in powertrain development, the gearbox is supposed to be guaranteed to JLR to 750Nm and the DMS remap puts the output above that.

That said, there is apparently no record of anyone having had gearbox problems as a result of the work.

Mmm..........

Oh and £625 + VAT.

Post #534633 17th Nov 2019 9:46pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It would be interesting to try - I had my 3.6 TDV8 remapped & it made a huge difference - however, I've never found the SDV8 lacking....... actually, on seciond thoughts, maybe I don't want to try one Confused

I always inform my insurance company & found that there's quite a few who won't touch remaps - so that swing it for me when I bought an L405 - I vowed that I'd keep it standard.

Last edited by Alistair on 17th Nov 2019 9:57pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #534635 17th Nov 2019 9:51pm
Mikey

Scotland 

2 things...

There are remaps out there that limit the maximum torque output throughout the whole rev range, its not all about peak figures

Secondly, the EGR valves are used to regulate the DPF regen temperatures

It would be a little worrying to think that both of these features have been effectively bypassed...

Post #534636 17th Nov 2019 9:55pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

EGR valves are closed during a regen to ensure that the higher exhaust fuel content is all directed through the catalytic converter to generate the required heat for the DPF regen rather then have some of it recirculated to be burnt in the combustion chamber thereby reducing the available fuel for the catalytic converter.

Post #534639 17th Nov 2019 10:02pm
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

He was told that the standard map limits torque output, particularly in the lower gears, quite a lot.

The remap raises these.

No info on the EGR/DPF relationship- can’t see why they would be connected. The EGR obviously enables the engine to inhale its own filth particularly at low revs, to reduce emissions. And therefore reduces performance.

The DPF as I understand it filters the post combustion output.

Not trying to argue any case for or against this, just what the result felt like.

Post #534643 17th Nov 2019 10:09pm
awclymm

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I spoke to one of the tech guys at JE Engineering about the 4.4 SDV8 remap. I've had a number of previous vehicles remapped at JE, and was delighted with the results in all cases.

JE Engineering actually use DMS's remap on the 4.4 SDV8.

I was informed that the remap makes a huge difference to the way the car drives. Much smoother on take off, without that annoying lag that the SDV8 has when you first put your foot down. Nooticeably smoother and "calmer" drive as a result of the extra torque, and supposedly a noticeable improvement in fuel consumption.

I asked specifically about the gearbox's ability to handle the extra grunt, and was assured that the gearbox can handle way more torque than this remap produces.

Sorely tempted...... 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #535196 23rd Nov 2019 9:33am
ur20v

A Trap 

DMS have been around for years and stand by their tunes... I had a M5 tuned by them years ago, it did what they said. they even came to my home in the midlands (they are based in Southampton) and reflashed the tune after my dealer overwrote it while doing a service and software update... this was for free. Others I know had the Porsche’s, BMW’s and Merc’s tuned with great results.... I have nothing but good things to say about them as a company and their tunes... they aren’t the cheapest but they do their own tune after lots of testing on the rolling road, road and track.... they don’t use canned tunes from others!

Post #535201 23rd Nov 2019 11:09am
jackcramerr

Blocking egr or removing dpf is mot fail. But even if you get away with that, please consider health of our new and young generation. You are essentially conteibuting to them developing lung cancer. FFS.

Othe than that I have no issue with remap. And I prefer petrol as diesel is dirty.

Post #535228 23rd Nov 2019 2:12pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

If you are going to be that pious perhaps an electric smart car would be more appropriate ? 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #535253 23rd Nov 2019 8:18pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

100% GTF

Post #535254 23rd Nov 2019 8:34pm
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

When everyone gives up smoking, drinking, and driving a car with an internal combustion engine, how on earth will the UK survive without the massive taxes generated by these dreadful evils ? My contributions are quite substantial Laughing

Last edited by roberlar on 23rd Nov 2019 9:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #535255 23rd Nov 2019 8:54pm
jackcramerr

It's not about that. Modding car to to below national standards, and causing known health problem just for fun ... common sense says illegal+ hatmful to other people and your children is a no. We need to have some decency and moral obligation. This nation is built on that. Look at what is happening in India. Do we want that?

I own a 5.0L petrol, but I won't mod it to release dangerous fumes. Remap your diesel but please do not delete egr and dpf.

I do own a Tesla Model S and a plug in hybrid JFI.

Post #535257 23rd Nov 2019 8:55pm
jackcramerr

Btw apologies if I seem to have lashed out. A dear one recently passed away due to lung cancer and a nephew of mine developed asthama. Not saying diesel is the reason. Just saying those things were on my mind. Each to their own otherwise.

Post #535263 23rd Nov 2019 9:08pm
roberlar

I have both children and grandchildren who are currently enjoying a far cleaner environment than I did as a child and despite the filth emitted by vehicles and other fossil fuel burning energy prior to where we are now I'm still alive..... Something else will get us sooner or later.......

Post #535264 23rd Nov 2019 9:09pm
roberlar

Skipped your post, and I'm very sorry to hear that.

Post #535265 23rd Nov 2019 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>