Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

have you seen this:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post535286...2f6#535286

MOT emissions passed Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #535290 24th Nov 2019 8:14am
jackcramerr

I am surprised how this forum is promoting something that is illegal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Wrong should be called wrong. You cannot justify it. Listen to yourself guys.

Post #535302 24th Nov 2019 10:06am
awclymm

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

jackcramerr wrote:
It's not about that. Modding car to to below national standards, and causing known health problem just for fun ... common sense says illegal+ hatmful to other people and your children is a no. We need to have some decency and moral obligation. This nation is built on that. Look at what is happening in India. Do we want that?

I own a 5.0L petrol, but I won't mod it to release dangerous fumes. Remap your diesel but please do not delete egr and dpf.

I do own a Tesla Model S and a plug in hybrid JFI.

And yet in this same forum, under the topic "Remap pop and bang" you posted this on the 12th November:

"I was hoping to remap to bring the 510BHP to more SVO 550BHP or 570BHP. SVO does the pop and bang as well" 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #535303 24th Nov 2019 10:12am
jackcramerr

A general question, when you guys sell your smog machine with dpf delete, do you inform the new owner it does not have a dpf and egr? Or go to the next level as well?

Just makes me think some poor sod will get shafted.

I always thought people who would do these kind of mods will be the ones who are always in trouble with the law so this mod is not worth thinking about. Never expected it from RR owners.

This is all discussion btw. No arguments, just gaining some knowledge.

Post #535304 24th Nov 2019 10:14am
jackcramerr

awclymm wrote:
jackcramerr wrote:
It's not about that. Modding car to to below national standards, and causing known health problem just for fun ... common sense says illegal+ hatmful to other people and your children is a no. We need to have some decency and moral obligation. This nation is built on that. Look at what is happening in India. Do we want that?

I own a 5.0L petrol, but I won't mod it to release dangerous fumes. Remap your diesel but please do not delete egr and dpf.

I do own a Tesla Model S and a plug in hybrid JFI.

And yet in this same forum, under the topic "Remap pop and bang" you posted this on the 12th November:

"I was hoping to remap to bring the 510BHP to more SVO 550BHP or 570BHP. SVO does the pop and bang as well"

But that is not illegal is it? And I am not aware of it being dangerous. If SVR does it, surly it might have some standards. I never said I am against mapping. All I am refering to is dpf and egr delete. I am very specific.

Post #535305 24th Nov 2019 10:17am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

jackcramerr wrote:
I am surprised how this forum is promoting something that is illegal.

The forum isn't promoting anything......

Speeding is illegal - some people chose to publicly acknowledge that they perform this illegal activity - others are able to read that & evaluate the pros & cons for themselves.

Post #535306 24th Nov 2019 10:17am
jackcramerr

Ok I will take your statement. Just worth mentioning if someone asks and dpf delete on other car forums, many people advise them not to do it. It is the opposite here.

So a newbie reads this forum, would think everyone has done it he might as well do it. Instead of thinking 'many say it is illegal so if I do it I will get in trouble'. That's the vibe I got from this thread.

Each to their own. There are all sort of characters in this world
I will not impose my belief I can only share it. I should not be justifying it as it just makes me the one who is at the wrong. Strange.

So I will refrain from replying. Plenty of good knowledge on thia forum to read than argue about.

Post #535307 24th Nov 2019 10:27am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I sometimes reply to remap threads with a slightly different point - to ensure you inform your insurance company & make sure you consider that in the overall costs. Not just a premium increase, but that you also restrict the companies that will even cover you.

The point that any modification that affects emissions, may well make your car fail its MOT is certainly a valid one too.

Post #535309 24th Nov 2019 10:34am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Can I just say as preamble that I'm here to merely discuss the possible benefits, along with legality (disclaimer out of the way):

The chap who did a map including a software EGR delete passed his MOT and still has his DPF fitted. So there is nothing illegal as far as the DPF goes. In fact he said it regenerated.

Given this his MOT pass and intact DPF, is this set up actually illegal?

Also, it's been a common assumption (me included) that the EGR is essential to DPF regeneration, however his experience proves this untrue.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #535316 24th Nov 2019 11:15am
jackcramerr

Not sure how egr and dpf can be related. On RAC it says

Euro 6 and Euro 6 diesel
Implementation date (new approvals): 1 September 2014

Implementation date (most new registrations - see important point below table above): 1 September 2015

The sixth and current incarnation of the Euro emissions standard was introduced on most new registrations in September 2015. For diesels, the permitted level of NOx has been slashed from 0.18g/km in Euro 5 to 0.08g/km.

A focus on diesel NOx was the direct result of studies connecting these emissions with respiratory problems.

To meet the new targets, some carmakers have introduced Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), in which a liquid-reductant agent is injected through a catalyst into the exhaust of a diesel vehicle. A chemical reaction converts the nitrogen oxide into harmless water and nitrogen, which are expelled through the exhaust pipe.

The alternative method of meeting Euro 6 standards is Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). A portion of the exhaust gas is mixed with intake air to lower the burning temperature. The vehicle’s ECU controls the EGR in accordance with the engine load or speed.

Post #535376 25th Nov 2019 9:04am
jackcramerr

So in theory if we lower the chamber temp then we can have less NOX.
Can that simply not be achieve by over boosting or by delivering more fuel? If both are increased then we increase the temp which means more NOX.

Dpf works in a different way so I do not see how egr and dpf are related. The extract from rac suggest they are different methods of controlling NOX.

Post #535377 25th Nov 2019 9:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12