Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > L322 Articulation Validity Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PovertySpec

England 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver
L322 Articulation Validity Fault

Hi all, I appreciate there are multiple threads on this subject however I've a couple of questions that I'm trying to get definitive answers on.

When I first got the L322 the air suspension was locked and showed a fault on the dash.I have a iCarsoft i930 which confirmed a fault with the rr sensor. This was replaced - but the system was not calibrated.

The fault went and all was fine for a few days until it wasn't, this time showing the Articulation Validity fault. This can be cleared, the suspension goes up and down, until it's driven for about half a mile, then the error throws again.

My understanding of this error is that the suspension thinks it's in a position that makes no sense, so throws a hard fault - is this correct?

Either way, I have the following questions:

1) Given this is the only error, would it be safe to assume a calibration should be the first step?

2) On looking at the live data, whilst on level ground, I see some readings showing positive and some showing negative. I assume once properly calibrated, these figures should all match each other within a set variance?

3) Final question - I notice some height sensor voltages are showing at very high voltages, is this (on it's own) a sign there is an issue with that height sensor?

I know the air suspension is a......source of amusement......for L322 owners, so there are a lot of posts and information to digest and if I am asking questions that have been asked a 1000 times before, I apologize, I'm just looking to understand this at my own personal level so any help is greatly appreciated.

Post #535803 28th Nov 2019 11:11pm
Joe90

England 

1) Yes

2) Possibly - but the height setting readings returned on some diagnostic equipment seems to bear no relation to the actual height, even though it is correct.

3) Probably - proper fault finding will help you with the diagnosis.

Is it the rear right sensor (new one) that is still giving you a problem?
Was it an LR replacement part or third party?
Have you done a continuity test on the wiring?
Is everything else working OK ? ( You should only attempt a calibration if all parts of the EAS are working correctly) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #535819 29th Nov 2019 1:19am
PovertySpec

Thanks for the reply, to answer you:

I'd need to double check, because I'm doubting myself now, but I'm pretty sure it was ok.

Bearmach, not Genuine LR

Sadly I'm not that hand's on mechanically, but I can certainly get it checked at some point.

Is everything else working OK

Yes, I'm lucky enough to know someone with a T4, and the vehicle has been checked over. There are no other warning lights or messages, nothing related to Airbags or ABS etc. I do have to repair the front foglight wiring but apart from that, and this issue, I'm otherwise error free.......for now lol. It just needs a bit of TLC, and some care and attention.

At least from your replies I feel like I'm on the right track, and understand the issue a little more clearly.

Post #535841 29th Nov 2019 10:43am
PovertySpec

Progress....of sorts.

So I had to get the droplinks sorted on Monday as one was awol......

Once they were done, and everything reset, I ran the car for the last few days with no hard error being thrown until tonight, so it took 3 days rather than half a mile to re-occur.

I'm going to try and get some live data tomorrow and see which sensors are doing what, as the o/s/f sensor position didn't look right to me, I may post a photo for a second opinion as this is all still new to me.

Post #536376 4th Dec 2019 5:58pm
Joe90

England 

Quote:
droplinks sorted on Monday as one was awol

I assume you mean knackered and not missing completely Shocked .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #536379 4th Dec 2019 7:18pm
PovertySpec

Quote:
I assume you mean knackered and not missing completely Shocked

There's a whole other story there.....which I will cover at some point.

Anyway, current readings are:

Front Right:

Voltage : 3.90
Height : -47.83mm

Front Left:

Voltage : 45.01
Height : -7.93mm

Rear Right:

Voltage : 1.84
Height : 21.88mm

Rear Left:

Voltage : 2.45
Height : -9.75

The Rear Right was the one replaced. I assume because it shows positive, and the other 3 negative, that would be the cause of the articulation error, so I need to get it calibrated. Although the Front Right seems excessive too.

What are the options with regards to doing it myself - it's an 03 plate if that affects the kit used.

Post #536400 5th Dec 2019 10:20am
Spud

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Silly question. Is it fitted the right way around? I've seen these fitted before with the actuating arm flipped on the wrong side. 2006 4.2 SC

Post #536406 5th Dec 2019 11:01am
PovertySpec

Not sure how to rotate...bear with...but it seems ok?

Post #536435 5th Dec 2019 12:37pm
Joe90

England 

and the Front Left ? .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #536453 5th Dec 2019 2:20pm
Joe90

England 

Do the tyres on RL and FR look more compressed (flatter...) than the other two. We have seen this before where the car is more or less teetering on two wheels due to height settings being out of kilter .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #536454 5th Dec 2019 2:23pm
PovertySpec

Front left.....still don’t know why it’s rotating

Post #536473 5th Dec 2019 4:13pm
flashgordon

Germany 

Joe90 wrote:
1) Yes

2) Possibly - but the height setting readings returned on some diagnostic equipment seems to bear no relation to the actual height, even though it is correct.

3) Probably - proper fault finding will help you with the diagnosis.

Is everything else working OK ? ( You should only attempt a calibration if all parts of the EAS are working correctly)

--->> Is it the rear right sensor (new one) that is still giving you a Problem?

what I found out:
when I got sensor-warning-messages my IID tool shows it is always the rear right one....

so ... is there something special with the right rear one?

Post #537051 11th Dec 2019 3:37pm
PovertySpec

Ok.....bit of an update, upgraded to a Foxwell NT 520 tool as that has the ability to calibrate the air suspension.

I only got it last night, but I thought I'd quickly hook it up, to test it and see what it said. I need to record the information properly but what I did notice was that the high voltage reading had disappeared for the front left sensor, and that the rear right sensor was no longer displaying a value for the height, instead just showing >>> whereas the other sensors all had a value.

I'm beginning to wonder if the rear right sensor is still the problem. I'm going to take another look tomorrow, and see exactly what is reading on each sensor, and report back.

Post #537245 13th Dec 2019 11:04am
PovertySpec

This may be a Christmas miracle.....

So I decided to nip out on my lunch break and calibrate the suspension, after I cleared all the faults again.

Fairly easy to do, followed the prompts, measured as instructed and entered the details.

Once complete, started the car, let it settle and then, not only did it go straight to standard height all round, going to access and offroad heights also work with no issues.

The car is finally sitting level, albeit I suspect about 20mm too high all round (I was rushing to get back to work so I didn't check the measurements) as I couldn't work out how to access what I assume is the drop down for wheel size, but I'm still taking this as a win. What's more, a quick check of the live data shows the following:

Before:

FR Height : -4.0MM
FR Voltage : 3.35V

FL Height : 48.0mm
FL Voltage : 2.61V

RR Height : >>>mm
RR Voltage : 1.27V

RL Height : -29.8mm
RL Voltage : 3.06V

After:

FR Height : -14.4MM
FR Voltage : 3.36V

FL Height : -10.8mm
FL Voltage : 3.30V

RR Height : -8.3mm
RR Voltage : 2.45V

RL Height : -5.1mm
RL Voltage : 3.49V

It may well need a final calibration, but, I have to admit I walked back into work feeling pretty happy with this latest development. Very Happy

(I have no reason to tempt fate......but I also wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread and helped me understand this issue better).

Post #537262 13th Dec 2019 1:38pm
Joe90

England 

Thumbs Up

Let us hope they are all still up when you finish work Wink .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #537281 13th Dec 2019 3:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1