Home > Technical (L322) > Air Suspension - What's the story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Porridge

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
Air Suspension - What's the story

Hi All.
Got myself a 2007 MY TDV8 with 53,000 miles on it a few months ago.
22" wheels ever so slightly out of balance (what a surprise).
Had them balanced, but still a noticable shudder at m/w speeds, so dropped in to another tyre place recommended by another FFRR guy.

Ever since, the Air Suspension Pump is kicking in for a couple of minutes every time the FFRR is started, after it has been parked up for a few hours.

I had not heard the pump running before that, and now it is an annoying deep throbbing din which is a bit disconcerting, especially when the stereo if off. Big Cry

There is no fault indicator. Dealer has "reset" the suspension level, but the noise is still there.

Is this "normal"? Does the pump usually kick in that often, or is it simply now just noisier for some reason? Question

Appreciate any thoughts or owner experiences on this.

Last edited by Porridge on 1st Apr 2011 9:38am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #58050 1st Apr 2011 9:12am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

once you turn off the ignition ,be it in access or standard mode, the compressor shouldn't BE able to work .... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #58053 1st Apr 2011 9:21am
Porridge

Hi Scarey.
It happens every time the FFRR is started up, after having been parked for a few hours.
Have heard it once or twice while driving, but haven't really done any trips for more than an hour, so don't really know if it is running when on the move.

Is it normal for the pump to kick in every morning? and why would it suddenly become noticable (noisy).

Post #58065 1st Apr 2011 9:41am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Could the tyre folks have put the trolley jack in the wrong place and damaged a pipe/ connection? This used to be quiet a common problem in the early days 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #58068 1st Apr 2011 9:48am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

if you leave the range in standard mode then it might loose air overnight, if its left in access then when you start it up it will go to standard when you exceed 15mph...

it could also be that you're hearing the fbh if yours is a diesel and the temperatures below 5 degrees [or something near that] ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #58069 1st Apr 2011 9:49am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

More than likely something its touching the compressor housing - transferring the vibration through the car.

Generally the compressor will run on engine startup - when you get out of the car, the car will level itself using the air in the reservoir. This will then need replenishing upon startup.

It could also be that the tyre guys clouted the compressor housing whilst getting the wheel in/out and have damaged the housing or rubber anti-vibration mounts.

22" wheels will get knocked out of balance very easily from potholes/sunken drain covers etc. They just don't have as much metal in them as a 18-20" to keep them 100% rigid (that being said, as long as they are genuine wheels they should be OK) 

Post #58072 1st Apr 2011 9:55am
Porridge

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
More than likely something its touching the compressor housing - transferring the vibration through the car.

Generally the compressor will run on engine startup - when you get out of the car, the car will level itself using the air in the reservoir. This will then need replenishing upon startup.

It could also be that the tyre guys clouted the compressor housing whilst getting the wheel in/out and have damaged the housing or rubber anti-vibration mounts.

22" wheels will get knocked out of balance very easily from potholes/sunken drain covers etc. They just don't have as much metal in them as a 18-20" to keep them 100% rigid (that being said, as long as they are genuine wheels they should be OK)

I think you may be on the mark there Dan.
Don't think the tyre guys pinched a pipe. They did put the trolleys in the jacking points.
But... they lifted 3 wheels and not all at the same time, so a bit of chassis flex may have affected the compressor housing. I will strip out the rear and have a good nosey about.

Glad to hear that it is normal for the pump to kick in every time. Make me think it is therefore just vibration.
Can you save me some time by telling me where the pump is located?

Have a set of 20" LRX wheels (RR Evoque) with 275/45/20 tyres going on to her on Monday. Can't wait till I can enjoy cruising at motorway speed without the vibration. Looked around for a set of used 20", but 6 out of 6 sets seen were buckled, so bit the bullet and coughed up for a new set. €1,145 not bad. Silver lining to the Irish Recession!

Post #58074 1st Apr 2011 10:07am
Porridge

scarey wrote:
if you leave the range in standard mode then it might loose air overnight, if its left in access then when you start it up it will go to standard when you exceed 15mph...

it could also be that you're hearing the fbh if yours is a diesel and the temperatures below 5 degrees [or something near that]
Embarassed

Not sure what "fbh" is, but it is deffo the Air Suspension Pump, as it is the same noise as when I raise the suspension with the selector.

The FFRR has been adapted as a Disabled Passenger vehicle, so the Access Height is used often enough.

Post #58076 1st Apr 2011 10:12am
Porridge

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Could the tyre folks have put the trolley jack in the wrong place and damaged a pipe/ connection? This used to be quiet a common problem in the early days

I was thinking that way myself Tim but thought that would get registered as a fault on the console. I had the Tyres Guys bring her to the LR Dealer for diagnostic, but they found nothing wrong....... not that that is saying much!!! 9-5 "technicians"! Must find a decent FFRR experienced mechanic in Dublin/Wicklow area.

Post #58078 1st Apr 2011 10:17am
dan_uk_1984

Are 45's not the wrong profile for 20"?

How come you have wheels off of an Evoque? They're not out yet? Confused

As for location of the pump - it's in the spare wheel well.

Dan 

Post #58083 1st Apr 2011 10:25am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

FBH is the fuel burning heater - helps warm the engine faster on cold days and is also used for Park Heat 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #58084 1st Apr 2011 10:25am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

275/45/20 or 275/40/20 are RRS size tyres and probably wheels as well... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #58085 1st Apr 2011 10:26am
Porridge

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
Are 45's not the wrong profile for 20"?

How come you have wheels off of an Evoque? They're not out yet? Confused

Dan

The wheels are Evoque Replicas (see www.4wheel.it)

275/45/20 is as close as can be to the same diameter as the standard LR fittment 255/50/20. Here is a link to a good size comparison tool. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Post #58100 1st Apr 2011 11:09am
Tim in Scotland

Evoque Style 6 & 7 20"s have 245/45 tyres and as I have found out none of my 12 RRS/FFRR wheels will fit the hubs of an Evoque Big Cry so I have a lot of wheels for sale over on the RRS and D3 forums 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #58106 1st Apr 2011 11:28am
dan_uk_1984

Hmmm, I know I'm a Genuine Parts fan-boi, but I've heard lots of stories about non genuine/replica weels cracking... 

Post #58108 1st Apr 2011 11:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>