Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Prev owner extended period driving locked rear diff. Issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I very much doubt that the diff lock has been engaged for any length of time - it’s virtually impossible to drive on tarmac and not know a rear diff is locked - it makes it almost impossible to drive around corners for a start. A centre diff locked is bad enough going around corners - a rear diff locked is almost impossible on tarmac as there is no slip / give from the tyres 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #543606 10th Feb 2020 7:55pm
horse86

United States 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

would an effect be a occasional rocking sensation side to side?

if the diff was completely shot (from that setting shown as locked) I'm assuming it would be very obvious or undrive-able.

I'll book an appointment in the next couple weeks to have LR do the fix/re-examine. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #543611 10th Feb 2020 8:08pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

The centre diff and rear e-diff if it is fitted are electronically controlled. I hadn't previously heard of the driver having any control over the rear e-diff but at most will be to enable or disable electronic locking. In some situations a partially or fully locked rear diff may possibly have some adverse effects so LR may have decided to give the driver the option of disabling the electronics. LR would never give the driver the option of locking the diff then allowing the vehicle to be driven at speeds above a very slow pace because the handling effects would be dangerous, let alone the strain on the diff itself if used on a hard surface.

Post #543625 11th Feb 2020 2:02am
horse86

^^ is that your beliefs or facts? You’re saying the “Electronic” button in the 4x4 menu to lock/unlock isn’t locking/unlocking when it’s pressed?? the G63 allows you lock all three (front, middle, rear) at the push of a button on the dash. Given that I don’t see why it’s not possible for LR to do the same. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #543626 11th Feb 2020 2:17am
GraemeS

The rear diff is either the open style or the electronically controlled variable slip (e-diff) which is standard fitment if the engine is the 5.0 SC. For other engines the rear e-diff may or may not be optioned at build time. The centre diff fitted to all L405s is electronically controlled variable slip and the front diff on all L405s is open style. I am very familiar with LR's e-diffs, having retrofitted a factory e-diff to my 2012 L322.

I could not find any reference in your vehicle's owners manual on Topix to the 4x4 screen so couldn't ascertain just what the button provides but I'd surely like to read LR's description of its function.

Post #543642 11th Feb 2020 10:46am
horse86

I'm only concerned about the 5.0L SC ATB on the L405 for the purposes of this thread. I've never used the 4x4 screen/buttons on the NAV to lock/unlock the diffs (vehicle is still new to me)...looks electronically controlled to me given these buttons. Unknown if there is an issue that the rear showed locked and have been driven that way. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #543652 11th Feb 2020 1:10pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

does it show 'locked' on all your types of journeys? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #543654 11th Feb 2020 2:02pm
horse86

I just stumbled across the menu while I was playing with all the options....didn't know it was even set to locked until I found the screen....so I'm uncertain how long it was "Set" to locked by the previous owner. I just picked it up about 2 weeks ago and have maybe put 50 miles on it. 32k miles on it total. It jumped out at me being set to locked once I found the 4x4 menu as I also have the rear diff leak (pinion/seal fix) that has been recommended by LR to fix.

I can check when I get home to see if it reset itself back to locked...but I think I also have most of the "Settings" set to "auto" now. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #543657 11th Feb 2020 3:03pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i'm only guessing that at the time you looked at the settings the diff was locked because of the type of driving you were doing...
it will be interesting that the next time you look at the settings ,maybe on a different road , the diff might be un-locked.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #543658 11th Feb 2020 3:34pm
horse86

I'm going to be skeptical it will still be (if it is) set to "unlock" bc I had switched it to unlock haha.

I wasn't doing anything crazy just normal driving....IIRC it was wet out though....but still on pavement.

I'll report back later tonight....after I take it for a drive 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #543659 11th Feb 2020 3:43pm
GraemeS

Have the 4x4 screen showing while driving to see what it does. The diff is pre-loaded slightly prior to take-off in case of wheel-spin but its for such a short time and only slightly loaded that usually the diff symbol stays green. I'm wondering if the setting increases the initial pre-load for when the driver anticipates hard initial acceleration, which would explain the red symbol whilst stationary.

If you turn it off then select rock crawl (needs low range) it should go red until the vehicle starts to move.

Post #543681 11th Feb 2020 7:56pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Looking at the pic earlier in the thread, I think looks like there are 3 stages of ‘lock’ indicated by the segments around the lock symbol.

So even if ‘locked’ it’s more like limited slip ?

I’m sure when I did a LR experience day, the instructor said that the car sorts out how much lock is needed.

As above though, you’d know if the diffs were locked on tarmac though — I used to have a jeep with air lockers - they were binary, all or nothing, but if you left them locked on anything not slippery you knew straight away as the tyres were squealing and it wouldn’t turn properly.

Post #543683 11th Feb 2020 8:09pm
GraemeS

If you watch the percentage engaged figure using a diagnostic tool you will see the whole range yet the symbol only changes to red if the percentage is above a particular threshold and for a minimum time. I can feel the e-diff on my L322 working in muddy conditions yet it takes a lot for the symbol to change from green to red and only flashes on and off for a few seconds unless I keep the boot in. The centre diff tends to stay on for longer but goes off if the steering is turned much.

Post #543691 11th Feb 2020 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12