Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Early L322 steering wheel gear paddle retro fit! Amazing!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Zebedee

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

Its not a Group Buy yet as Stan suggested I need to get Martin's approval before I can list it there.

The price is £120 for the kit excluding paddles and £195 for the kit including the paddles (plus £3.50 UK p&p)

I've got about 18 kits here, but only 3 sets of paddles and I suspect it will be hard to get more paddles for the next couple of months. Send a PM if you are interested.

As far as the chrome spokes are concerned, you can buy a set of them from Land Rover or places such as PowerfulUK. Current:
- 2013 L405 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
Sold:
- 2004 L322 4.4 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 2002 L322 4.4 HSE (having fixed timing chain guides)
- 2000 P38 4.6 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 1981 2-door In-Vogue
- 1980 Ex-Army SIII LWB
- 1976 SIII LWB
- 1968 SIIA
Stripped for parts:
- 2003 L322 4.4 Vogue

Post #548095 24th Mar 2020 8:58am
kds2

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

@Zebedee Thumbs Up

Post #549286 3rd Apr 2020 9:46pm
Zebedee

A few kits have gone out now, and Martin has given permission for it to be added to the Group Buy section. Kds2 has got one and I believe it is now fitted and working.

Given the lock-down, we're currently struggling to get hold of more paddle sets from Land Rover, though the electronics are still available if anyone is interested. Powerful UK are still advertising the paddle sets, and they might have a few in stock. Current:
Sold:
- 1981 2-door In-Vogue
- 1980 Ex-Army SIII LWB
- 1976 SIII LWB
- 1968 SIIA
Stripped for parts:
- 2003 L322 4.4 Vogue

Post #549324 4th Apr 2020 10:21am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Just a quick inadvertent review! I now own Zebedee’s old LPG’d RR (purchased it from Phillip so I could repair it and sell it on) it has Zebedee’s paddle kit fitted and I love it! It really does act like a 2009> 4.4 TDV8 paddleshift... it’s very quick/responsive and the added bonus on NOT loosing functionality of your steering wheel controls is genius! There really is NO hesitation waiting for it to change up or down even if you’ve been driving in auto mode for some time!

A very worthwhile mod imho 👍

And a quick add on to the above, I don’t know Zebedee, have never met him nor have any connection to his business! He didn’t ask nor does he know I was posting this...

Just wanted to post my findings 👍

Post #549330 4th Apr 2020 10:41am
Roi354

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Finished fitting the kit today but have yet to take it for a drive for obvious reasons.

Fitting was simple and seems to work a treat up the 30ft of driveway I have!

Post #549382 4th Apr 2020 6:51pm
kds2

Yes I have now remove the two channel remote way I had already fitted which meant moving gearlever into sport mode for it to work and now fitted new paddles and Zebedee`s kit and agree entirely with Cam-Tech-Craig it works brilliantly, up and down in normal drive mode is instant, move lever into sport mode and again instant change with paddles and no moving hands off steering wheel to do it, love it ! Well done to the chaps how designed, and no I have no connection with either of them just a happy paddle user.

Post #549396 4th Apr 2020 8:38pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Mine is a 2010 and apparently has the wiring there for paddles. However I’ve been told that they still won’t work when fitted. Will this kit override that? 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #549397 4th Apr 2020 8:45pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Well done guys, I didn't keep my eye on this and seems have now missed out will pm zeb regarding a kit and see if I can source the paddles from powerfuluk

Post #549398 4th Apr 2020 8:52pm
kds2

Andy wrote:
Mine is a 2010 and apparently has the wiring there for paddles. However I’ve been told that they still won’t work when fitted. Will this kit override that?
If you do a search for retro fitting paddle shift to early range rovers on here I found all the information on how to do it and there is mention of 2010-2012 models about page 12 to 14 if I remember.

Post #549407 4th Apr 2020 9:58pm
Zebedee

Andy wrote:
Mine is a 2010 and apparently has the wiring there for paddles. However I’ve been told that they still won’t work when fitted. Will this kit override that?

It should work with every steptronic gearbox - so that includes Discoverys, BMWs Mercedes and others - anything where you can fit paddles. We've not checked plugs etc on the 2010 cars, so the kit might not be plug and play. I'd be interested in you trying it and letting us know your findings. Current:
Sold:
- 1981 2-door In-Vogue
- 1980 Ex-Army SIII LWB
- 1976 SIII LWB
- 1968 SIIA
Stripped for parts:
- 2003 L322 4.4 Vogue

Post #549434 5th Apr 2020 11:07am
damienwalker

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
New Paddle Shift kit for L322

Dear All

Apologies for not joining in earlier than this, despite the lockdown I have been very busy. I am the technical half of Zebedee's organisation!

Firstly a big thank you to Zebedee for pushing this through. Like you Matt (Stevenson), I installed paddles roughly when they first came out and my original system simply used the heated steering wheel wiring (which I didn't use because my car was an HSE). It was only when I met David (Zebedee) and he asked could I make him a paddle shift too, that we decided to re-engineer it and remove some of the problems that are inherent with a simple system. The first problem is that you have to be in Sport mode (ie gear lever pushed away from you) before the paddles will operate and then you are stuck in paddle shift mode. I thought it would be better if we could make the change to sport mode automatic when you pull a paddle (and also revert to 'D' when you had finished). The second problem is that a simple system will cause plausibility errors in the gearbox ecu....thus giving garages the excuse to tell you your gearbox is broken! Our system is designed to address this problem too.

Secondly thank you to everyone for your very positive comments. Obviously David and I cannot claim any credit for the paddleshift concept as this was invented by others, but with a good interface kit (ours!), the full brilliance of the paddleshift system becomes available on the early L322s. As the comments are showing, the system transforms the car and if you are a real 'driver', we are confident that you will find the paddleshift to be a very good mod.

As David has suggested, this will fit all L322s up to 2010(when LR first fitted paddles) and will almost certainly fit similar era BMWs with the steptronic/tiptronic gearchange. Basically any vehicle with steptronic/tiptronic shift becomes a candidate, which will surely include most other quality manufacturers. As the L322 is based on BMW hardware, then clearly similar era BMWs are likely candidates....any others may need different connectors. If there is anyone out there interested in fitting our kit to a different vehicle, then drop us a quick note and we can discuss.

As for the post 2010 L322s (@Andy), our transmitter module will fit behind the airbag as it does on the earlier models, but the problem lies in the lack of a gear lever. As far as I am aware, there is no equivalent of the tiptronic/steptronic gear lever on the later 'rotary knob type' vehicles' and our current system is probably not compatible. If someone would like to give me a 2010+ Range Rover though, I am willing to give it a go Very Happy !

As David says we do have a few kits available but we are struggling with paddles due to the current lock down. I will be chasing this next week (forlornly!) and I imagine we will be able to put a message on the forum as soon as stocks become available again.

In the mean time, happy paddling!

Best regards,

Damien

Post #549466 5th Apr 2020 5:20pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Damien, the few that have asked about 2010 cars will either own late 3.6 or 5.0 models with a gearshifter... There is a common misconception that all facelift 2009> models had paddles! They didn't! There were a few 3.6 & 5.0 cars that had a stick prior to JLR releasing the 4.4 TDV8. These all came with a rotary selector... All rotary selector Range Rovers have paddles from factory sir Thumbs Up

Post #549470 5th Apr 2020 6:02pm
damienwalker

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Thanks Craig, it sounds as though some may be compatible then. Obviously we can only claim our system works with the models we have tested it on and so the best thing to do if there interest out there for other vehicles is to drop us a note and we can go through the issues.

Many thanks for that!

Post #549475 5th Apr 2020 6:10pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Thumbs Up

Post #549491 5th Apr 2020 8:23pm
RupertRR

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

I bought one of these kits complete with paddles from Zebedee a couple of weeks ago and fitted it yesterday. It is truly brilliant.

It took me about an hour and a half to fit and I took it for a test drive down to Tesco so my wife could do a quick shopping expedition. I couldn't be happier with how it works. I have no experience of flappy paddles before this but always fancied the idea of them on my FF but it has made it much nicer to drive in town and on windy roads. I love it.

I have no idea how electricity can make gears change but it does and it works perfectly.

Like everyone else is saying on here - I have no connection with Zebedee or Damien and wouldn't know them if I bumped into them. I'm just a very happy customer. Keep up the good work, chaps.

Post #549545 6th Apr 2020 3:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>