Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Where did that cloud of smoke come from?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 13 <123 ... 111213
Print this entire topic · 
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

@Dennis. I think your problem is the EGR Thermostat misreading. It is telling the engine it is hot but is not in fact correct, so despite being too cool, it attempts to initiate a regen, but physically can't produce the correct temps to do so.

Almost the same as my symptoms (internal temp reading high to regen but engine actually too cool to complete the cycle, although mine was the thermostat.)

I think that may cure your fault. Mine has been problem-free ever since the fix.

Post #604296 20th Aug 2021 7:45pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

My latest theory is that my vehicle is trying to regenerate but due to the sensor being faulty and over fuelling the soot is building up almost as fast as it’s burning off. As I say, just a theory but I definitely have the diesel smell around the car at idle so having it swapped out is no bad thing. Need to decide whether to tackle it myself or try and get an agreed price to have it changed Shocked 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #604325 21st Aug 2021 9:49am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

keep an eye on your fuel/oil immersion levels.

Post #604336 21st Aug 2021 11:21am
dennij

Had some time today to prepare for the EGT Sensor change, following the advice on here I wanted to soak the sensor nut to aid with removal when the time comes. Armed with a mirror to get some idea of where I needed to be spraying I was surprised to find I could see the sensor nut clearly and could even touch it with my fingers (just). It would seem that either the sensor has been replaced before or someone has removed the heat shield covers as they are clearly both missing. Although I have to say that even though access to the nut is better than if the heat shields were in place, it's still going be a job I'm not looking forward to doing as access is still restrictive. While in that area I took the time to find the connector which I decided to unplug and see if the usual error code associated with this appeared, which it did so it looks as though the sensor is working to some degree, who knows, maybe it's working as it should. All the signs point to this being faulty though such as the diesel smell and the fast filling DPF, I have my doubts but considering I've had so many others parts replaced there isn't much left to try so I'll keep my fingers crossed and report back once the new sensor has been fitted and tested. 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #605180 30th Aug 2021 2:08pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Existing fault may be either NO or NC, whichever it is may be the same as unplugging so all you need to do is try plugging in the new sensor
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #605214 30th Aug 2021 8:00pm
Freypal

United Kingdom 

Hi, sorry to resurrect this but did you ever get a resolution to this issue Dennij?

Seems I'm having a near identical issue on a Freelander 2. P2459 fault code, constant unsuccessful regens, oil diluting rapidly, diesel fume smell after a run and then sat at idle....

Post #635821 1st Jul 2022 10:06am
dennij

Hi Freypal, I gave up in the end, ploughed way too much money into it and never managed to get a resolution. Sold it on to Cazoo 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #635834 1st Jul 2022 12:30pm
Freypal

United Kingdom 

Ah, sorry to hear that Sad thanks for replying though!

Post #635836 1st Jul 2022 1:22pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Freypal wrote:
Hi, sorry to resurrect this but did you ever get a resolution to this issue Dennij?

Seems I'm having a near identical issue on a Freelander 2. P2459 fault code, constant unsuccessful regens, oil diluting rapidly, diesel fume smell after a run and then sat at idle....

Worthwhile removing the MAP sensor - they can get gunked up in diesels and also check for charged air leaks. Both these can cause a DPF issue and are relatively straightforward to check.

Needless to say, I'd also extinguish the code and then go and drive the car at 60-70mph for 30 miles, with periodic hard acceleration from 60 to 70, to see if this forces the regen. The periodic acceleration will get the system nice and hot.

Then I'd look to replace the exhaust gas temperature sensor, which being a 4 cylinder is probably a darn sight easier than down the sides of a 4.4L V8. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #635894 2nd Jul 2022 1:26am
Freypal

United Kingdom 

Many thanks, some good things to check! I was tempted to just swap the EGT sensors since they're only £50 each and a quick swap.

Post #635903 2nd Jul 2022 10:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 13 <123 ... 111213