Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Lock down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Lock down

Well, I've given up hope & will be heading for home tomorrow (from Andorra) - will be my longest ever drive single at about 900 miles Shocked Hopefully before the French close their borders !

The rate things are changing is truly shocking - Friday morning I was in a buzzing ski resort, then by lunchtime it was announced they were closing for the rest of the season. Even then I wasn't prepared - I was joking about shopping in the sales on Saturday - but the reality was everything shut - except the supermarket, every single other shop, bar & restaurant was completely closed for minimum 14 days & more likely at least 28.

By Sunday, every hotel in the resort was empty as was most private accommodation - even the local shop has shut as the owner lives with his elderly mother. I'm living in a ghost town.

I was planning to stay at least until the weekend then go to Bordeaux for a while, but the French lockdown means we've packed up & decided just to head to the UK.

Dogs went to the vets today for their working certificates - so I can't actually cross until 5pm (24h later), hopefully the Eurotunnel is still running....

I've packed all the bog roll & dried pasta we have in the cupboard as I hear there isn't any in the UK Laughing

Strange times indeed....

Post #547369 16th Mar 2020 9:24pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

All EU borders are closing down by noon tomorrow. For 30 days!!!! That is CET.

I would suggest to make it to the border well before then.

A right pain as I need to decide between staying here with my wife and children or go to mainland Europe and help my parents.

Post #547375 16th Mar 2020 9:39pm
Alistair

I'll be through the French border before 6am - but then travelling the length of France & hitting the tunnel about 6pm.

Tunnel are currently saying they'll be running as the UK border isn't closing -but only time will tell.....

I'm far from the worst case as I can always turn round & head for Bordeaux & see the crisis out there, but would rather be in the UK (I think).

Post #547377 16th Mar 2020 9:44pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I'm now living in Portugal, family is meant to be coming over in 10 days for wife's 60th, probably not going to be able to do so. Son is getting worried about his wedding due on 24th April in UK, he's meant to be coming back from carribean in a weeks time, but is concerned mass meetings will be not allowed by then, we're concerned that we'll be stuck here and not allowed to fly on 15th.
And what for.
Keep calm and carry on IMO and stop the mass hysteria....

Post #547378 16th Mar 2020 9:48pm
Bl4ckD0g

If you are happy to stay you may as well stay. They are closing at noon.

https://apple.news/AbRg3GpqEQbaq1ahG1hfpPw

Post #547379 16th Mar 2020 9:51pm
Alistair

I'm in Andorra - I don't mind it, but my wife really doesn't fancy it for potentially 30 or more days - looking out onto a closed piste is a little frustrating Whistle

As Andorra is not in the EU & outside schengen, I think I need to be over the border and into France before noon. After that, I should make it into the UK as countries seem to be allowing their own citizens to repatriate, so it will only be inbound to France/EU that's a problem.

I could be wrong though......

Unless they relax the dog quarantine thing, I can't enter the UK before 5pm anyway.

Bordeaux would be better than Andorra according to my wife, but I'm not so sure - at least it's a home & I won't be confined to a refugee camp in Sangatte Thumbs Up

Post #547381 16th Mar 2020 10:02pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Think you will certainly have to do it in one stage as the situation with hotels doesn't seem to be clear. There is no current restriction on travel in France but there is very strong advice not to unless necessary.

AFAIK there is no problem with leaving France. The French government website is only advising travellers leaving France to be aware of any restrictions by the receiving countries and not imposing any on people leaving.

Another consideration is leaving Andorra for France. Currently the border is open. Not sure if they have a problem but I think your decision to leave right away is wise.

As you will have seen, the tunnel website is indicating normal service.

Have a safe trip. Thumbs Up John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #547382 16th Mar 2020 10:06pm
Alistair

Thanks John - the way I read things is I can still get into France before noon - I guess I'll find out in the morning.

All the restrictions in France seem to relate to French residents, so I'm hoping that as long as I refill with fuel before noon & stick to the autoroutes, I should be OK.

Just to have one final laugh, it's currently snowing, so the road down to Toulouse in the morning might be fun - just typical.....

Post #547384 16th Mar 2020 10:15pm
ikjos

Norway 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Just be aware of the possibility of huge traffic jams at the borders. Between Austria and Germany today was apparently insane. ----------------
2012 - L322 Westminster
QRV @ LA2VSA / DA1AA

Post #547391 16th Mar 2020 11:02pm
Gazcw

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Baltic Blue

dingg1 wrote:
I'm now living in Portugal, family is meant to be coming over in 10 days for wife's 60th, probably not going to be able to do so. Son is getting worried about his wedding due on 24th April in UK, he's meant to be coming back from carribean in a weeks time, but is concerned mass meetings will be not allowed by then, we're concerned that we'll be stuck here and not allowed to fly on 15th.
And what for.
Keep calm and carry on IMO and stop the mass hysteria....

Similar question was asked on radio today about a wedding in April. Unfortunately the response was it likely wont happen, so cancel or reschedule. Thought that was harsh but I guess it is reality. Sorry!. 2011 4.4tdv8 Vogue
Baltic Blue

Post #547396 16th Mar 2020 11:34pm
Gazcw

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Baltic Blue

Alistair wrote:
I'll be through the French border before 6am - but then travelling the length of France & hitting the tunnel about 6pm.

Tunnel are currently saying they'll be running as the UK border isn't closing -but only time will tell.....

I'm far from the worst case as I can always turn round & head for Bordeaux & see the crisis out there, but would rather be in the UK (I think).

Le Havre or Dieppe ferries? 2011 4.4tdv8 Vogue
Baltic Blue

Post #547397 16th Mar 2020 11:37pm
Bl4ckD0g

The French have stepped it up a notch Wink

https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavir...gleILstuS8

Translated Wink

On March 16, 2020, the President of the Republic decided to take measures to minimize contact and travel. A containment system is in place throughout the territory from Tuesday, March 17 at 12:00 p.m., for a minimum of fifteen days. Travel is prohibited except in the following cases and only if you have a certificate for:

Move from home to work when telework is not possible;
    Make essential purchases in authorized local shops;
    Go to a health professional;
    Travel to take care of your children or to help vulnerable people with the strict condition of respecting barrier gestures
    Exercise only on an individual basis, around the home and without any gathering.

The certificate necessary to circulate will be available on this page this Tuesday March 17th.

Violations of these rules will be punished with a fine ranging from 38 to 135 euros.

---

I wouldn't care about the 135 Euros but I doubt you'll be let on your way again afterwards.

Post #547408 17th Mar 2020 8:43am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

UK citizens exempt apparently Thumbs Up

Post #547412 17th Mar 2020 9:20am
Bl4ckD0g

Where does it say that? And is it citizens or residents?

Post #547417 17th Mar 2020 9:37am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Bl4ckD0g wrote:

Move from home to work when telework is not possible;
    Make essential purchases in authorized local shops;
    Go to a health professional;
    Travel to take care of your children or to help vulnerable people with the strict condition of respecting barrier gestures
    Exercise only on an individual basis, around the home and without any gathering.

The certificate necessary to circulate will be available on this page this Tuesday March 17th.

Violations of these rules will be punished with a fine ranging from 38 to 135 euros.

The certificate can be downloaded here : https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/202..._3224.html John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #547422 17th Mar 2020 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>