Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > RR Virgin - What am I to expect ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

It’s such a shame that you didn’t tell us all that you were thinking of purchasing a Range Rover as I run a Potential Range Rover Ownership Course.

I only charge £2000 for the weekend course which includes:

*Learn useful swear words.
*Being hit on the back of the hands with various spanner’s until your knuckles bleed.
*Practise laying on rocks, Lego, small thumb tack, and in puddles of water to prepare you for working underneath.
*Lean not to pass out when you discover the cost of various items, such as a small instrument bulb at £18.
*Learn not to have a complete mental breakdown when your RR makes a mysterious “BONG!” noise.

One of the final tests is done in the early evening on a large patch of 20mm gravel. I will hide a small spring in the gravel which you will have to find (whilst being sprayed with a fire hose) before it is totally dark.

On successful completion of the course all delegates will then sit around around a roaring camp fire throwing scrunched up £20 and £50 notes it to the flames. Every time someone does this the remainder of the group will chant “It’s worth it” “It’s worth it”

Jim

Post #550055 12th Apr 2020 9:54am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Laughing brilliant Jim... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #550059 12th Apr 2020 10:28am
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Very good Jim, we all relate........

Dealers run a similar course, 4 times the price, 3 month wait for an appointment and you'll spend several days camped out in the showroom Whistle Whistle 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #550063 12th Apr 2020 10:36am
chris_read

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks Chris Thumbs Up

Does yours have paddle shifters if MY is 2010 ?[/quote]

Hi Ian
No, no paddles on mine (yet Wink ) 2017 Jaguar F Pace 25t Portfolio - still part of the JLR family 😀
2009 3.6 V8 (MY2010) - my first ever diesel! - now also gone Sad
2004 4.4 V8 Petrol Vogue - now gone

Post #550064 12th Apr 2020 10:58am
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

I can put some hard figures down for you from our 2007 SC which has had every single expense documented in the 748 days we've owned it (including road tax, insurance and fuel (super unleaded)).

When we bought it it had done 73K and we've done 22000 miles in it over that time, much of it towing a TA.

Cost per day: £23.57
Cost per mile: £0.81

Maintenance is 70% me, 30% indy using genuine parts (or OE equivalent where it's easily identifiable - air compressor for example).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by stu1 on 12th Apr 2020 12:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #550074 12th Apr 2020 11:59am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Ianclark1275 wrote:
DrRob wrote:
Took me about 12 months to iron out all the niggles. Including a new secondary turbo Shocked

Hmm

NOx is 355 on last MOT , apparently that’s not quite right and maybe a sensor in manifold or wastegate on turbo (so I’m told)

It’s done 76k

Body off job for turbo I think - 16 bolts and 1 multi connector....?

No. Body doesn’t come off a 322, that’s the sport.

Good luck worth the purchase. There are many “first jobs” to do when it turns up.

1. Check condition of top and bottom inter cooler hoses. And replace anyway. If they are original they will be knackered.
2. Check brake disc temperatures after a drive for Caliper binding.
3. Check for leaks from gearbox/engine/transfer box/diffs.
4. Buy in stuff for fluid swaps on above.
5. Inspect airbags and suspension.
6. Budget for a new alternator. Have a look to see if it’s shiny. If it is then you are golden. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #550075 12th Apr 2020 12:01pm
Ianclark1275

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

jim4244 wrote:
It’s such a shame that you didn’t tell us all that you were thinking of purchasing a Range Rover as I run a Potential Range Rover Ownership Course.

I only charge £2000 for the weekend course which includes:

*Learn useful swear words.
*Being hit on the back of the hands with various spanner’s until your knuckles bleed.
*Practise laying on rocks, Lego, small thumb tack, and in puddles of water to prepare you for working underneath.
*Lean not to pass out when you discover the cost of various items, such as a small instrument bulb at £18.
*Learn not to have a complete mental breakdown when your RR makes a mysterious “BONG!” noise.

One of the final tests is done in the early evening on a large patch of 20mm gravel. I will hide a small spring in the gravel which you will have to find (whilst being sprayed with a fire hose) before it is totally dark.

On successful completion of the course all delegates will then sit around around a roaring camp fire throwing scrunched up £20 and £50 notes it to the flames. Every time someone does this the remainder of the group will chant “It’s worth it” “It’s worth it”

Jim

I’m dying Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #550086 12th Apr 2020 2:00pm
Ianclark1275

northernmonkeyjones wrote:
Ianclark1275 wrote:
DrRob wrote:
Took me about 12 months to iron out all the niggles. Including a new secondary turbo Shocked

Hmm

NOx is 355 on last MOT , apparently that’s not quite right and maybe a sensor in manifold or wastegate on turbo (so I’m told)

It’s done 76k

Body off job for turbo I think - 16 bolts and 1 multi connector....?

No. Body doesn’t come off a 322, that’s the sport.

Good luck worth the purchase. There are many “first jobs” to do when it turns up.

1. Check condition of top and bottom inter cooler hoses. And replace anyway. If they are original they will be knackered.
2. Check brake disc temperatures after a drive for Caliper binding.
3. Check for leaks from gearbox/engine/transfer box/diffs.
4. Buy in stuff for fluid swaps on above.
5. Inspect airbags and suspension.
6. Budget for a new alternator. Have a look to see if it’s shiny. If it is then you are golden.

Thanks that’s just the advice I was looking for...top man Thumbs Up

Post #550087 12th Apr 2020 2:02pm
Ianclark1275

stu1 wrote:
I can put some hard figures down for you from our 2007 SC which has had every single expense documented in the 748 days we've owned it (including road tax, insurance and fuel (super unleaded)).

When we bought it it had done 73K and we've done 22000 miles in it over that time, much of it towing a TA.

Maintenance is 70% me, 30% indy using genuine parts (or OE equivalent where it's easily identifiable - air compressor for example).

Hope that helps.

Actually very informative thanks - that’s quite a lot still !

I feel like I’m sat at doctors when they say how much do you drink ? And you say , about average.... Laughing but it’s really a lot more When you actually count it Shocked

Post #550089 12th Apr 2020 2:11pm
Tugger

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

jim4244 wrote:

This alone would be worth the money. Why can't the bong for "external temperature" when it's cold outside be different to the bong for "expensive engine disaster imminent" ? Every single time it gets me. Rolling with laughter 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Nissan X Trail 1.6TDCi Tekna
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #550113 12th Apr 2020 5:39pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

stu1 wrote:

I assume there's depreciation in there ?

Have you factored in some resale value for the car or just divided purchase price by days ?

It was a depressing, but it made me think, I'm spending more than that just in depreciation Big Cry Time to stop thinking again.....

Post #550116 12th Apr 2020 5:58pm
ur20v

A Trap 

I would guess that cost is maintenance only, it should reduce slightly with time as the first 12 months you will be putting right what the last owner ignored and made the sale decision easier, it’s always surprising what cars cost to run and often ignored or brushed under the carpet 👀

Post #550126 12th Apr 2020 6:31pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Great advice off Northern MJ, I had one of these for 5 years and got it up to 161K miles before it moved on. It had new Turbo hoses, brakes and discs and of course a new alternator, other than a few ball joints and regular service work it was a reliable car, towed my tin tent all over France and Germany with it and never missed a beat. Good luck and hope you enjoy as much as I did, 3.6 is a great engine and Tows like a train. Thumbs Up

Post #550132 12th Apr 2020 7:48pm
stu1

Ianclark1275 wrote:
stu1 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Actually very informative thanks - that’s quite a lot still !

I feel like I’m sat at doctors when they say how much do you drink ? And you say , about average.... Laughing but it’s really a lot more When you actually count it Shocked

Yep, do the man maths - you know it makes sense Smile My advice would be to buy the youngest, highest spec you can - over a period of years, it's the running costs that mount up.

Last edited by stu1 on 12th Apr 2020 8:38pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #550134 12th Apr 2020 8:23pm
stu1

Alistair wrote:
stu1 wrote:

I assume there's depreciation in there ?

Have you factored in some resale value for the car or just divided purchase price by days ?

It was a depressing, but it made me think, I'm spending more than that just in depreciation Big Cry Time to stop thinking again.....

No, the figures don't include initial purchase, depreciation or any potential resale values - simply the number of days/miles divided by the cumulative total expenses since purchase.
Thumbs Up

Post #550135 12th Apr 2020 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>