Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > RR Virgin - What am I to expect ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

The 3.6 is a great machine , I had my 3.6 for about 2 weeks after I got my 4.4 ( L322 ) and it was just as refined as the 4.4 if you didnt go near the motorway where the 8 speed gearbox does reduce the revs considerably. The turbos work together and not in sequence so it does feel very quick especially with a remap. Mine sheared a turbo shaft but luckily the snapped piece fell into the exhaust and not the engine. Once I had both turbos replaced it was extremely reliable until i sold a year later.

I would happily return to a 3.6 as they are a great machine and in my humble opinion the L322 looks better than the L405, more range rover to me.

As regards cost of ownership, life is very short , if cars are your thing through passion or necessity then drive the best there is , a range rover , no matter what the conditions, it's a great place to be and most of the time it will get you where you need to go in comfort , safety and style. Others will have more technical advice , mine is more guru like , namaste, Rolling with laughter 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #550142 12th Apr 2020 9:56pm
Ianclark1275

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Agreed, life is short, i like cars, this is (lucky) number 13, until yesterday when I sold my bus - (with a mini in it)
so I’m at 11!

I was looking at cheaper ones with high mileage, and ended up with a slightly newer one with lower mileage. I really don’t mind high milers but in this case lower miles is at least a step in the right direction for some reliability.

been looking for several months and thought I may as well go for it

I need a mobile office as I do loads miles, the Audi is great for that, but occasionally I need to move heavy stuff and would switch to using the RR for a change .

Daughter has a horse but no horse box , so that maybe next Shocked

I had a chat with mike at green ovals in Hampshire - nice chap, who gave me some pointers On where to look

Going learn how to drive it off road also if anyone has any pointers for an off-road centre where you can take your own car

Thank for the replies I will keep you posted....

Post #550155 13th Apr 2020 8:01am
ur20v

A Trap 

Was it a replica BMC bus converted into a rally car carrier in red white and blue?

Post #550158 13th Apr 2020 8:17am
Ianclark1275

Yes

Post #550218 13th Apr 2020 3:07pm
Ianclark1275

Bedford YMT

Post #550219 13th Apr 2020 3:08pm
ur20v

A Trap 

I used to do some work for a local build on his race cars, he had one for the classic cars... where did you get it from, not Shropshire?

Post #550220 13th Apr 2020 3:16pm
ur20v

A Trap 

It’s was Graham’s before he passed: http://worldofclassiccars.blogspot.com/201...orter.html

Post #550221 13th Apr 2020 3:23pm
Ianclark1275

wow, thats lovely

mine was an old converted bus - definitely not as cool as that !!

Post #550226 13th Apr 2020 5:09pm
Ianclark1275

Post #550228 13th Apr 2020 5:17pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Still cool 😎 thanks for the photo, any of the mini?

Post #550241 13th Apr 2020 7:35pm
Ianclark1275

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #550253 13th Apr 2020 11:41pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Thank you Ian, always good to see race cars and anything to do with them! Especially when they are in bits 👍

Post #550276 14th Apr 2020 9:33am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 
No problems here

I just wanted to say ive had two early TD6 cars one with 400 thousand ks and the other to about 330 and never had any weird issues what so ever, Replaced one fuel injector and one inline fuel pump under the car at high ks... now that i think about it i think i had a problem with the jet pump in the fuel tank which moves fuel from one side to the other (saddle tank), People go on about how that 5 speed gm gearbox is no good and sure it is a weak link it would seem but i never had a problem either car with several hundred thousands of kilometers i had put on them

Ive now had a TDV8 i brought at 160 thousand ks which is now at 260 k k's which has been flawless, Yes i replaced the alternator about 185ks... this happens in any car!.. Granted they work hard in these vehicles and it is a pig of a job but the new part easily sourced and not very dear and if the new one will do another 5 or so years then that's fine with me, Yes some of the suspension bushes work extremely hard but once again are not a huge complex job to sort out / replace and not very dear either .. i am only lately getting a fault from the air compressor.. if a new one say cost me near 2k for a complete new unit and it goes for another ten years then i can't see any problem with that at all

I just don't hear of people having problems with the TDV8 particularly the 3.6.... but all you ever hear people say is how unreliable these cars are or expensive to repair... i just don't get it personally... Maybe im just lucky. Other than problems that you can have from the egr system which imo should be removed these engines and 6 speed zf trannies are absolutely bomb proof ... dont flog it hard when cold ... Remember the oil feeding your turbos takes up to 15 good minutes to get up to temperature, Flog any turbo stone cold on any engine or don't let it cool after hard use and it will fail early... same goes for oil changes... change your oil every ten thousand ks minimum... both drain plugs... Oil and filter is cheap.. turbo not as cheap

If you take your car to land rover and they see you coming a mile off then yes expect to get raped... I was not so long ago at a dealer where at the same time some one was picking up their 2010 sport with a 6k aud bill for a service and new brakes.... which is just absurd but this is going on at nissan also... all dealers

Maybe im the odd one out but i just can't stand how people go on about these cars been un reliable and parts etc been expensive.. it simply is not the case at all

Then i love the people you run into and small talk often goes to fuel economy... "oh wow that wouldent be cheap to run would it... would use a lot of fuel" .. Ive had this a number of times yet im running a near 3 ton truck retuning a genuine average of 11.4 liters per 100k's.. down to 8 liters per 100 ks on the freeway no problems at all.. In australia that is about exactly comparable to the fuel economy you would get from a V6 Commodore which weighs 1200 kilos less and is far more earo dynamic.. i reckon im kicking fuel economy goals

Oh no the boost hoses can fail though i hear you say.... yep.. Has never happened to me yet however when they go they will get 5 ply ones from Bas automotive which is what about a 3 minute job to replace if you do it blind folded.... if they dont last the life of the car they will go close

Sorry im sounding a bit ranty Razz but imo the op has bought one of the best model rangies to ever own given what they can be bought for now, also one of the most reliable

Dave 2010 3.6TDV8 Autobiography
Bas remap, Egr deleted (blanked & via remap) , Cold air intake, Turbo back exhaust, Provent 200 catch can, Banks idash gauge, 275/55/R20

GAP Diagnostics

Past - 02 & 03 TD6 And an 1984 Classic

Post #550300 14th Apr 2020 2:18pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Well said Dave 👏

Jim

Post #550303 14th Apr 2020 2:48pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I picked up Silvia on 25th February 2019 with the initial idea of using her as a car for the dogs, dump runs and maybe a little light off roading and camping. She had 97,000 miles on the clock, 2 owners from new and a full service history and, for a 2005 TD6, was in very good condition.

At the time my everyday car was a 2017 Range Rover Sport HSE, which was a cracking car to drive, however after a couple of months my wife pointed out that I was spending more time plodding around in the Vogue. I therefore made the decision to sell my RRS and run Silvia for a few months until I decided on a new car. Well so far the new car hasn’t come! Initially I thought that I would go for a 2012 Westminster, but after viewing a couple of old dogs I then started to look at a 2013/2914 L405. I noticed that the prices of the L405 were dropping month on month so ended up doing nothing.

So, in 13 moths of ownership what nightmares has Silvia thrown at me? If I’m honest none at all! No breakdowns. No bongs of doom. No banging or knocking from the suspension. No failing to start when parked up for 4 weeks at a time. I would go as far as saying that Sylvia is a RELIABLE car!

In the time I have owned her I have:

# Carried out 2 engine oil changes.
# Changed transfer box and diff oils.
# Carried out 2 gearbox oil drain sand top ups.
# All filters changed - oil, fuel, cabin.
# Fitted the crankcase swirl filter modification.
# Removed the EGR.
# Uprated interior lights to LED.
# Uprated the headlights.
# Replaced the original 18” wheels with 20” L405 wheels and Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tyres.

So apart from the wheels and light upgrades just normal servicing.

Silvia now has 103,800 miles on the clock and is due another service. To be honest I’m in no rush to replace her and have 2 friends who want first dibs if I do decide to change.

If you don’t throw them around like sports cars, service them using quality parts and oils and know their limitations, likes and dislikes then a Range Rover is a great car to drive and own, no matter what the year, engine or gearbox.

Just my ramblings.

Jim

Post #550304 14th Apr 2020 2:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>