Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Rebuilding the rear wiper motor - gears and cogs.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
uzp315

Rebuilding the rear wiper motor - gears and cogs.

Hi Everyone,
having repaired my rear wiper motor more times than I care to count, I looked for a replacement the last time it failed. All suppliers who responded to my stock/price inquiry said they couldn't get me one. So I bought one off ebay. Read that it hadn't been tested, but failed to read that it was for "Parts only"..

So, needless to say, when I'd fitted it, it didn't work. I took it apart, and could see that the main drive wheel (large white one) was severely worn. I dismantled my original motor and salvaged the good drive wheel and fitted it all back together.

It worked. But the arm would only swipe about 45'. It seems I had the gearing, cogs, arms inside lined up wrong.

After trying many different ways to do this. I thought I could see what needed doing. It didnt work. I looked for pics online of how they should be put together, and pretty much only found this pic to help. I tried my best to line up the parts as per this pic.

(That is not my pic by the way) It came from another thread on here.

(By this time my already poorly battery had enough of having the interior lights on, and constantly pushing the motor as i tested it, and I had to stop). I left the car on charge all night, and came back to it this morning, the wiper is still not operable, charger is telling the battery is past it. New battery is on order as I am convinced mine is shot to pieces (7 yrs old).

Can anyone offer any pics, links or advice on how to put the internals back together correctly so that the arm sweeps the full screen?
Thanks
Mark

Post #556008 31st May 2020 1:26pm
uzp315

Click image to enlarge

This one helped. Selecting tooth 0 or 1 when lining up the right side of the arm to the left side which has a "quadrant" type of cog will affect the length of the sweep of the arm a little bit, but not much. The rubber grommet is just a stopper. So with that in mind, this should help anyone else wanting to do this.

I found lots of the white plastic cog replacements available online, so anyone with a wiper that fails to wipe due to a worn out cog should be able to get going again quite easily.

Cheers
Mark

Post #556339 3rd Jun 2020 11:19am
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

need to do mine - yikes

this may help others also

&t=75s

Post #556341 3rd Jun 2020 11:46am
uzp315

pcourtney - what is it you need to do with yours? These are the issues affected that rear wiper motor unit that I am aware of:

1) Blocked jet
2) Leak inside
3) Leak outside
4) No movement

I've had all 4.

And of course, fuses.

Cheers
Mark

Post #556364 3rd Jun 2020 2:52pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

Hi Mark,
I need to get the motor out and have a look, I have bought the white plastic cog wheel, and I am on the hunt for an o-ring the right size, so I can give it a good old overhaul and hope that it works again when I put it together

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic884-75.html

it seems second hand ones might have the same issues, so that seems a pointless exercise ( even if you can find them, certainly I could not on ebay, and the six breakers yards I tried ) , I would have liked to have had a good look inside of one before I take my one out

and new ones it seems are over £200 quid - hey ho !

Post #556912 8th Jun 2020 1:10pm
uzp315

No one I spoke to was able to provide a new one, although some suppliers didn't reply(lockdown/covid 19 I assume), but the ones that did are usually quite good, but all said they couldn't get the part anymore. however, there are online suppliers that show new ones in stock.

PCourtney surely you can tell what your symptoms are? Is it leaking or is it just not moving? If it is not moving, then it could be the motor, electric feed, or the gear has worn out. The gear/cog wearing out seems very common, and the replacement unit I got from ebay (second hand) had a very worn gear, but luckily my unit (seized), had a gear in near perfect condition so I built one unit out of the best bits.

They are not complicated, and the whole process is pretty simple. I would say the worst part of it for me is that on my car, re-fitting the rear interior trim caused a lot of broken plastic fittings.

The O ring is only needed if you are leaking. If the seals are sealing well as it stands, I would not mess with them.
The motor comes off easily, and apart from easily - you need a small torx (sorry not sure of exact size), and the internals all come apart with slight pressure. Very easy. Just use the picture above to line up the internals when you put it back together.

Mark

Post #556927 8th Jun 2020 4:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1