Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Odd non starting issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

ISTR that JLR issued a recall on the early 11MY L322 due to the battery not being man enough and failing. Their solution was to fit the AGM. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #555237 25th May 2020 11:48am
coopss

Perfect, AGM it is. Now to decide on 019 or 020, £149 & £179 respectively for Yuasa.

Will going for a 020 cause an issue?

Post #555243 25th May 2020 1:09pm
V8 Bob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Ipanema Sand

It needs to be a 019, the 020 is too large to fit easily. There are a number of useful articles in the wiki to help as the battery housing is difficult to access and the battery is heavy and cumbersome. 2012 tdv8 Westminster arrived Jan 19 gone Dec 23

200 TDi discovery bobtail gone
RR classic v8 bobtail gone
300 tdi Discovery 3 dr gone

Post #555245 25th May 2020 1:11pm
coopss

Cheers - 019 AGM YUASA ordered from Tanya.

I’ll see how hard it is to get the old one out.

Thanks to all for your help

Post #555249 25th May 2020 1:30pm
goopta

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Just went through this. Intermittent starting 08 3.6. Would get nothing but a click on turning the key occasionally.
Started to get more frequent and cranking seemed to be slower and more needed to start.
New starter fitted, couldn't get it to start used jumpers and fired up first time. No change still intermittent.
Battery was reading low and about 5 years old so bought a new battery. No change still intermittent starting.
Decided to check the earth strap. There is one forward of the starter. It was blue and I took hold of it and tried moving it, heard it scrunching when I did and it came away in my hand. Only a few strands still connected looking at it. So no one local had one. I bought two battery type earth cables with eyelet ends to try as a temporary fix.
Jacked up front and removed RHF wheel. Got the one on the chassis off no problem but the one on the engine was an absolute pig. You can't even see it only feel it. Removed the inner arch plastics and another small piece to the front and that let me see where it was and get access just. You still can't see the bolt (10mm) but you can now get the spanner on. Managed to get it free using a combination spanner on a combination spanner to get decent leverage then worked it free 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Got it out and cleaned it up doubled up on the earth straps I bought put everything back together. Cured the problem now starting no problem and winds over really fast now. Been happening for a while thinking about it but always started with out any issues then went intermittent. So something to check anyway.

Post #556317 3rd Jun 2020 5:32am
goopta

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Battery isn't hard to change yourself. Put the bonnet in service mode. Prise the clips out of the gas strut bottoms to release them from their pins and lift the bonnet up and lock it with the fixing with a hole in it that swivels to a pin and locks the bonnet in a near vertical position. I removed earth and live cables. Tied earth cable forward out of the way. Put the live sideways as much as possible released the two retaining clamps and got a small steps to gain height and leverage. I also had a large square of high density 3" foam just in front of the battery compartment as piece of mind really and just humped it out. Replace with new and it isn't an issue. Bit heavy though. I would be cautious if outdoors and a bit windy putting the bonnet into service mode.

Post #556318 3rd Jun 2020 5:44am
JohnK

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Very easy to check if its an earth issue, put a jump lead between the negative in the battery and something mattalic on the engine. If it starts reliably and doesnt when you remove it - chances are you have a dodgy earth strap.

Post #556319 3rd Jun 2020 7:42am
coopss

Cheers all. Did the battery myself (easy job to be honest) and haven’t had the starting issue since.

However I don’t have the gap tool to tell the car it has a new battery..

Will keep jump leads in the car in case the issue returns and I can check the earth strap 1995 4.6 v8, green/tan (long gone)
2005 4.8iS X5, blue/black
2011 4.4 tdv8, black/black (gone)
2003 3.0d X5, Oxford green/black/manual
2021 p575 SVR, BR green/vintage tan

Post #556333 3rd Jun 2020 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12