Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Transmission Failsafe 2004 L322 4.4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
smather

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Transmission Failsafe 2004 L322 4.4

Apologies as I am sure this has been asked a million times...

Just wanted any guidance and opinions! Bought a 4.4 V8 back in October and it drove well - 103,000 miles full service. Then from about Dec it started with the transmission fail warning, changed the battery and once it started it drove well. Slowly it played up and had to start in neutral and often start and stop and start a few times for it to engage and drive normally without lag as sometimes it just had no power. It hasn’t been driven much the past couple of months as the new battery from December kept going flat and ended up not taking a charge even with battery out of the car. Have now replaced and it starts but have to start 2 or 3 times for the trans error to disappear and for the gearbox to work. Took it to local independent (drove there really well - smooth gear change and got to 70mph) - maybe with a little lag and slippage at times when pulling away. They have said gearbox is shot and torque converter - 2.5k repair for recon..... when I asked could it not be electrical or the xyz switch as when the gearbox seems to know it’s in gear it changes up and drives well - they said it’s likely it was luck that it drove and likely the xyz switch also needs replacing... other advice is to replace the transmission fluid and filter but then others say that could do more damage than good if it's not been done previously and that I should accept at 103,000 miles the gearbox is now past it's shelf life and to scrap the car and invest in another... another suggestion is to put an OEM battery in and that may resolve all rather than the Yuasa one that I have just installed....

Sorry for the long message! Any ideas welcome and also any RR independents that are around GL56 or a reasonable drive away would be happy to talk to you!

Post #556151 1st Jun 2020 4:40pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

change the radiator for a new one, anything will do, the bottom 8 rows collapse and the auto oil cooler temp levels get very high, whatever you do don't buy a Land Rover radiator ( as the same thing will happen again in 10 years time )

then flush all the auto oil with Mobil Esso LT71141 ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid BMW Audi VW, it should cost about £6 a litre, not cheap, and you will need 8 or 9 litres to carefully flush out all the old, chances are someone has been topping up the ATF ( Auto Fluid ) with the wrong type (probably cheap DEXTRON) , this is not helpful in the least, as apparently the auto is very fussy on our cars 4.4 BMW Auto

and change the auto gearbox oil cooler for a new - they are £49

also have a read here

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic54406.html

once you have done all the above, check back with us and see if things have improved, you may be lucky Smile

Last edited by pcourtney on 15th Jun 2020 5:36pm. Edited 4 times in total

Post #556159 1st Jun 2020 5:52pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Don't waste money on another battery, buy an IID tool and start checking things out, go through the live values and see what you can find...

There are several reasons yours could be doing this, you have listed most of them...

Check voltage, xyz, temp and read and decipher all the fault codes that will come up...

It will cost you a fortune if you take it to a garage, they will just replace bits until they get lucky... seen it happen lots of times... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #556160 1st Jun 2020 5:54pm
drakes

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Smather glad to see you made it here from facebook, have a look round the site and then find RRphil's posts and have a read.

Keith 2010 3.6TDV8 Stornoway Grey/ Black interior - gone
2005 4.4V8 (M62) Bonatti Grey/ Parchment interior - gone
1998 4.6HSE Blue/ Cream interior (can't remember exact colours) - gone
1977 White - gone (should have kept)

Post #556161 1st Jun 2020 5:55pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

pcourtney wrote:
change the radiator for a new one, anything will do, the last 6 rows collapse and the auto temp levels skyrocket, whatever you do don't buy a Land Rover radiator ( as the same thing will happen again in 10 years time )

then flush all the auto oil with Mobil Esso LT71141 ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid BMW Audi VW, it should cost about £7 a litre, not cheap, and you will need 8 or 9 litres to carefully flush out all the old, chances are someone has been topping up the ATF ( Auto Fluid ) with the wrong type, not helpful in the least, as apparently the auto is very fussy on our cars 4.4 BMW Auto

and change the auto gearbox oil cooler for a new - they are £49

also have a read here

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic54406.html

once you have done all the above, check back with us and see if things have improved, you may be lucky Smile

His is not the same fault as yours, if it's doing it whilst cold then it's different issues... it may very well need a new rad etc but he has to diagnose the problem first... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #556162 1st Jun 2020 5:56pm
Clivefog

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

If you are going to flush yourself I've 6 litres of the trans fluid on ebay. Will help with the pennies and I'm ijust south of the M4 M5 interchange.

Click image to enlarge

Post #556166 1st Jun 2020 6:13pm
smather

drakes wrote:
Smather glad to see you made it here from facebook, have a look round the site and then find RRphil's posts and have a read.

Keith

Thank you!

Post #556201 1st Jun 2020 10:19pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange
Re: Transmission Failsafe 2004 L322 4.4

smather wrote:

Sorry for the long message! Any ideas welcome and also any RR independents that are around GL56 or a reasonable drive away would be happy to talk to you!

Since you are in Gloucester, you should really bring it to L322 professionals:
CMS LAnd Rover in Stroud : Cotswold Motoring Services
http://www.cotswoldmotoringservices.co.uk/aboutus.html
http://www.cotswoldmotoringservices.co.uk/contactmap.html

Craig Hennell, in Dursley: 16 Brunel Rd, Dursley GL11 5DH
Téléphone : 07950 021102 l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #556238 2nd Jun 2020 2:47pm
smather

Hi all, am going to CMS on the 15th to have codes checked and transmission fluid replaced and sump off and check for any metal filings in the oil etc. Fingers crossed this will be the solution I need and not a gearbox!

Post #556256 2nd Jun 2020 7:16pm
chris_read

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If it all goes wrong (hopefully it won’t) you could do a lot worse than contacting these chaps Thumbs Up
http://birchmotors4x4.co.uk/#range-rover 2017 Jaguar F Pace 25t Portfolio - still part of the JLR family 😀
2009 3.6 V8 (MY2010) - my first ever diesel! - now also gone Sad
2004 4.4 V8 Petrol Vogue - now gone

Post #556259 2nd Jun 2020 7:27pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

What the update Mate, was it only the XYZ then?
cheers l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #557802 15th Jun 2020 1:11pm
smather

Hi there, sorry for the delay - after numerous calls and different advice and almost selling it I decided to start simple. Luckily I have a great local garage that look after me and my various cars and are usually willing to give most things a go that I throw at them! Started by doing the transmission fluid change and checking for any shavings - fortunately there was little debris stuck to the magnets and everything looked good - no more than you would expect on a regular change. The transmission fluid was lower than it should have been so a necessary job done. Started the car once that was complete and still getting the same problem. Mechanic agreed that it seemed to be electrical rather than mechanical / gearbox failing. He also had the gut feeling I had about the xyz switch and got quotes for recon units. I asked him if he would be happy to drill out the rivets on the existing one and have a look inside and clean it up if necessary and adjust the contacts if they looked like they needed it. He was happy to give it a go and there was a build up of muck inside and the contacts were worn and not making clean contact so he adjusted them. Had it dropped back today and excitedly jumped in and put the key in - straight away ping and transmission failsafe message.... thought great what a waste of time and money. I then took the key out, back in and boom 💥 it started! Took it for a drive, smooth gear change and pick up through all gears and had 0 troubles which is not something I have had for months. Thinking it was certainly not the gearbox that was shot as the local independent Land Rover garage said with a £3k quote to fix.... I think the failsafe message may just be a warning that the xyz has been fiddled with so may not be perfectly adjust but at least I can drive and have a smile back on my face!

Thanks to everyone for their input!!

Post #558083 17th Jun 2020 10:31pm
pcourtney

very good news to hear, well done - and saved £390 quid if you had to get a new one Smile

The XYZ (sensor) is in a spot renowned for letting in water/grime/dirt - so after a good clean I guess you are golden

I see mine was replaced 3 years ago - and I had since forgotten about it - they are crazy money to buy new Sad

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/switch-gearbo...33098.html

SKU UHB500020

An OEM replacement gear position sensor switch. Commonly known as the XYZ switch. This sensor/switch tells the ECU which gear the automatic gearbox is in. It is fitted to the side of the gearbox and often lets water in causing a malfunction.

Post #558097 18th Jun 2020 9:14am
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

By coincidence, my 2004 V8 is at Birch Motors with the same symptoms as Smather’s Range Rover. I’ll report back on this thread to let you know what Birch find.
All the best
Tom 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #558203 19th Jun 2020 6:14am
pcourtney

Birch are a lot more focussed on L322's and BMW X5 gearboxes thats for sure

http://birchmotors4x4.co.uk/#contact-us

my local Indy is more than twice the price approaching £2500

https://www.turnermechatronics.com/range-r...pairs.html

so after getting a PM from Phil that he has no more reconditioned boxes in his garage, I'm off to Liverpool for the day and get the very nice chaps at Birch to overhaul the auto ZF box and hope all will be well for another 10 years Smile

Post #558428 20th Jun 2020 11:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>