Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Old diesel v new diesel and French heating oil.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 
Old diesel v new diesel and French heating oil.

Hi a couple of questions .

Old diesel was supposed to have a shelf life of, for ever. In fact I have ten year old red diesel for the tractor & lawnmower.

How long will the new diesel, with added bio, last ? I’m guessing about a year. I’m just not sure.. must be suitable for the FFRR

For france with all the risks of instant strikes we keep 60 litres of diesel in jerry cans, so we can at least get home, I change that once a year.
If push comes to shove, can I use the heating oil ( it’s different to U.K. heating oil) Clearly only in an emergency. ...I’m pretty sure heating oil is 32 seconds in france , whereas the U.K. is 28 seconds...

Anyone ???? Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #556376 3rd Jun 2020 4:33pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Some information here:

https://www.fioulmarket.fr/actualites/fiou...ifferences

Biggest problem is that it is red so you would be taking a chance if you were stopped.

That apart, personally, I would not put it in my FF. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #556388 3rd Jun 2020 5:46pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Interesting article.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/1...used-to-be

Need to use up the diesel in the FF and put some new in, I think that what is in there predates the lockdown! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #556398 3rd Jun 2020 7:00pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

The red stuff is maybe good for heating, we do the "super" for stock reasons and cleaner burning, but even my tractor is doing better on normal diesel as on the red stuff, so would surely not put it in the range rover. Apart from that IF they catch you (and yes customs do check regularly) you will be paying heavily!!

Post #556409 3rd Jun 2020 8:55pm
725browning

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Oil

You are correct in saying that 32 second will run a derv but it is not advisable. Here we burn 28 and 35sec oil. France uses 32 sec which is close to diesel but they all lack certain elements made by manufacturers like lubrizol to lube bores etc. Heating oil can clog inlet and exhaust valves and though certain engines will run on it they can be more noisy and smoke. If a standard pressure jet oil boiler burner suffers with poor fuel pressure and incorrect air induction it will smoke, tar the combustion chamber walls and quickly blocks the blast head and will eventually go into lockout. It is a simple case of new nozzle, a clean out and fresh set up using an analyser and pressure gauge on the fuel pump. If you consider using heating oil you would have to use additives to help with lubrication and also alter the sulphur contents. Mind you, if you just want to run a dumper truck or any crude engine then slap a load of 35sec in and ffs don't breathe it in Laughing

Post #556410 3rd Jun 2020 9:00pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Ok. Thankyou guys...

A bit of background , we nearly got caught out by an instant French strike, as we don’t watch French news and nearly got caught with no diesel to get back to calais, hence the storage of 60 litres... that in itself doesn’t seem to be a good idea as I only rotate it once a year all be it 20 litres at a time mixed with new stuff. Maybe I should rotate every 6 months...

The other thought was , in case of need, using the heating oil as an emergency, I’m not bothered if red or green.. I wouldn’t hesitate, except it seems it’s no good & wouldn’t work

Finally long term many years storage, doesn’t seem to be an option any more... confirmed by northern monkeys link...

Back to peddle power... bloody long way home from france on a bike!!!

Thanks again Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #556432 3rd Jun 2020 11:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1