Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > To Caravan or not to Caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Martin2

England 

stan wrote:
it is relevant Brian as most yorkie drivers stay at 60mph so without towing a white box they are easy to pass, with white box its more of a problem..

My Dad used to tow with his Saab 95 Aero company car and he’d overtake cars on A Roads! Cruising speed across France down to Italy was an easy 70mph. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #565545 26th Aug 2020 11:16am
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Geoff

Single person idea, not your normal tintent, but if you've got some spare cash. Small enough to move with one person, put in your garage/shed and at 750Kg can be towed by just about anything. Not cheap but bet it's fun Thumbs Up

https://www.sealander.de/en/ Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #565559 26th Aug 2020 1:47pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Had a quick look - looks a fantastic toy. Have also been looking at Ariba because I was talking to my mate, he had one and he sold it to a dealer for more than he paid for it. I thought Caravan deprecation was even worse than our Range Rovers - apparently not so. Geoff

Post #565575 26th Aug 2020 3:17pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I'd forgtten about those, now you reminded me a colleauge at work had one and went all over UK and Europe with it. Liked the idea of low height for towing and having seen his photos they look good.

Also try searching folding and/or pop up caravans. Don't have tent fabric parts as in trailer tents Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #565583 26th Aug 2020 4:20pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Eriba are pretty much cult caravans so keep their value. Compact but have everything and are light to tow. Did think of mentioning them to you as, IMO, ideal for one person (or a couple). Thumbs Up John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #565587 26th Aug 2020 5:07pm
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Geoff,

Caravans are great. But Two Possible pitfalls I’ve learned The hard way since getting a caravan in 2018. They might not be relevant for you, but just in case:

1. Long, light twin axle caravans don’t tow well on motorways. Everybody says a FFRR and twin axle caravan is a dream combination. My 8m long 2018 twin axle caravan has an MRI of 1,498kg and a MTPLM of 1,678kg. Despite forensic loading and nose weight checking, it is still badly impacted by air pressure from passing large vehicles. Fine on single carriage way roads, horrible on dual carriageways and motorways. IMHO it is too light for its volume. I grew up on farms driving and towing and also have my HGV licence (took. Combine harvesters on low loaders to Hungary Back in the day). Our caravan is the worst thing I’ve ever towed. Even surpassing empty Hiluxes with heavy diesel bowsers in tow for scary moments!!!. If I was starting again I’d opt for a heavier caravan.

2. New caravans have LED lights which an older tow car doesn’t detect and so won’t know it’s towing. Ie. An L322 air suspension lowers itself at 60mph unless it knows it is towing. On a new caravan with LED lights, you have to get a Sargent electric box fitted to increase resistance (like conventional light bulbs do) so the car knows it is towing.

Good luck with it,
Tom 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #565589 26th Aug 2020 5:28pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

stan wrote:
it is relevant Brian as most yorkie drivers stay at 60mph so without towing a white box they are easy to pass, with white box its more of a problem..

5tan - Don't know why you have brought HGV's into the equation but as you have let me explain - all HGV's since 1988 (IIRC) have speed limiters set at 90kph/56mph although the UK speed limit for HGV's on motorways remains at 60mph.

There is a misconception with a lot of "non-HGV/PCV" drivers that these vehicles are always "speeding". Some do but it is not realised that car soeedos inevitably "over-read" wheras HGV/PCV speedos are calibrated. Some trucking companies have "calibration wheel sets" to fit to driving axles for calibration - recut to a millimetre of their lives and a bare 1mm of tread.

My comments regarding the difference between trying to maintain 60mph (RR + Caravan) or 70mph (RR without caravan) over a journey still stand. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #565593 26th Aug 2020 5:59pm
RRDunc

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

My 2015 Coachman has twin axles and weighs 1.9 tons laden. It has LED lights and my 2012 AB with vehicle-specific electrics knows when it's there.

It tows superbly.

Dunc. The life you have is the only one you'll get; make the most of it.
--------‐--‐-----------------‐------------------‐---------------------------------------------------
2012 4.4 TDV8 L322 Autobiography
2003 TD5 Oslo Blue D2 ES Premium Auto (with mods!)

Post #565594 26th Aug 2020 6:11pm
supershuttle

Is a caravan a "braked trailer" or am I right in that it doesn't need an MOT. Geoff

Post #565596 26th Aug 2020 6:24pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Caravans do not require an MoT.

Some useful general informatio. https://www.eandl.co.uk/help-and-informati...ments?cc=1 John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #565603 26th Aug 2020 8:20pm
supershuttle

Cheers John, I didn't think so, but "braked trailers" in the thread caused my confusion (made me start thinking maybe some caravans had them) my OP doesn't mention trailers but then again it doesn't mention licences or HGVs. The other useful tip your link gives is if anyone I don't like stays with us I can make them sleep in the caravan. Rolling with laughter

Thanks to everyone who read my OP and has been helpful, certainly a few extra things to bear in mind that I hadn't thought of. Geoff

Post #565609 26th Aug 2020 8:36pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Any trailer over 750kg needs to have independent brakes.

No trailers require an MOT in the UK.

I bought a boat from a dealer in Germany - he said he'd send me through all the paperwork for the trailer in advance so that I could register it. He was amazed that I could just turn up, slap my number plate on the back & drive away. Over there all trailers have to be registered and require the equivalent of an MOT.

Some kind of test for trailers makes sense really - wouldn't be too hard, there's not much to check, but would help ensure they are roadworthy.

Post #565618 27th Aug 2020 5:44am
supershuttle

Like I said I'm thinking of buying a Caravan not a trailer, so I am assuming that (although interesting) all trailer talk is irrelevant to my OP.

However, as I might as well go off topic as well, how to independent trailer brakes work? I have only got a towball and electrics on the back of my Range Rover.

Maybe I should start a new thread "Inderendent Braking Systems" Rolling with laughter Geoff

Post #565620 27th Aug 2020 6:50am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Geoff,

In the eyes of the law a trailer is a trailer is a trailer, so all the "trailer talk" is relevant.

Trailer/Caravan brakes in the UK are "overrun" brakes. When the towing vehicle slows down the weight of the Trailer/Caravan pushes against the towball and applies the brakes. When the towing vehicle speeds up/pulls away the brakes are released.

Modern Trailer/Caravans have "auto-reverse" brakes so that the brakes do not come on when reversing. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #565622 27th Aug 2020 7:36am
supershuttle

So you are suggesting I do need an MOT for a caravan??? Despite posts to the contrary, you sound as if you know what you are talking about. Geoff

Post #565625 27th Aug 2020 8:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>