Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Approved used with MOT advisories
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
cupples8267

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

maybe you are happy with corroded brake pipes and worn discs giving brake judder. LR dealer approved used cars come with a premium attached as they are supposed to be well prepared. If i wanted a cheap car I would have run the additional risk of buying privately where you accept the risk. There are a lot of keyboard warriors on this forum intent on being obtuse which is a shame as people want genuine advice and discussion. Thank you to all who have provided constructive advice though.

Post #566192 3rd Sep 2020 4:38pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

There aren’t many key board warriors on this forum 👍🏻

Post #566202 3rd Sep 2020 5:07pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 

You may well pay a premium for Approved used, does not make the end result from the dealers premium.
They do the bare minimum and hope they get away with it.
Had better service from ordinary used dealers and not treated like pond life also.
JLR dealers are a separate life form, which consider themselves better than the punter!
Good luck with getting it solved.

Post #566205 3rd Sep 2020 5:22pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 

swissomatic wrote:
Seems a strange thread. Car is used, it has worn items e.g. tires, brakes, batteries, etc. All of these are not warranty items. They were advisories which says you should watch these items and be prepared to replace in future. Dealer has no responsibility to restore to as new condition. If you wanted a new car then you could pay new price...seems like a lot of anti against dealer for selling a used car at a used price....

I think they used to use, not sure if they still do, “approved used, as good as new” or some other tosh like that?

Post #566206 3rd Sep 2020 5:25pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

In the last 20 years I have bought 7 Land Rover vehicles, all from the same dealer. Of the 7, 4 were brand new and three were used, including both FFRRs I have owned. All the used cars were bought at 3 years old and all were delivered to me in good shape, with all agreed defects sorted at handover. Any problems which subsequently arose were dealt with without fuss or cost to me. It’s really all about the dealer and it’s attitude towards customers. By all accounts some are shocking, but others are really good. The really good ones get loyal customers who come back and buy more cars. It ain’t rocket science!

Post #566209 3rd Sep 2020 5:37pm
Bloke

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

You paid top dollar? Complain, complain, complain. The worst that can happen is they say. No. At which point you say, okay thanks for that. I'll be sure and bring that up in my 'Google review'. Shocked

Post #566213 3rd Sep 2020 6:32pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

MOT advisories are always going to be a bit vague, many testers seem to use them as a method to cover their backsides. The tester has no idea how the car is going to be used so if he sees some wear on the brake discs it might be sensible to note this so if the driver is planning on doing 30K miles a year with a 3 tonne trailer he'll know to expect to replace them quite soon.
If the driver will only do a gentle 5K miles a year I would expect the same discs to be getting the same advisory every year for quite some time.
Either way I wouldn't expect a dealer to replace the discs provided that they were above the minimum thickness. As has been stated when you buy a used car it will have been used and have some wear/damage/corrosion etc.
As long as the tester has has passed the car then all of the tested components must be fit for purpose which doesn't mean "as new".

Post #566217 3rd Sep 2020 6:44pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Except..... the 165 point check seems to state discs should be >50%

Now the ‘advisory’ may have been issued with the discs in >50% condition, but it seems like one of them is wrong......

Post #566227 3rd Sep 2020 8:42pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

The official line from Land Rover :

165 MULTI-POINT INSPECTION
There is a checklist of 165 points of inspection in place that has to be followed to the letter. This ensures your vehicle is in optimum electrical and mechanical condition. Using the very latest technologies, tools and diagnostic equipment, Land Rover technicians carry out these checks with the utmost rigor. The inspection always includes paintwork, interior, a complete engine preparation, road test and a final inspection before the vehicle is personally signed off by a Land Rover Technician. All vehicles have to pass all 165 checks to become a Land Rover Approved Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.

Problem is, this doesn't say what is actually tested. Personally I wouldn't be expecting to pay out within the first year if I bought approved/used but then my driving is such that I would be doing less than 8,000 miles in that time. It's likely therefore that discs marked as advisory would be fine for me. There does seem to be a bit too much focus on the advisories in this case. As mentioned already, the MOT tester on the day decided to mention items that they felt warranted attention at some point in the future, another tester may have deemed these to be fine for next 12 months and said nothing. And there lies the issue, each tester will work their own way, some are more cautious than others.

The best you can do now is chat with the supplying dealer and see what options you have, it may be that they resolve the issues for free, or they may offer a 50% goodwill gesture, or they may say that the vehicle left them in a roadworthy condition. 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #566247 4th Sep 2020 7:59am
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Here goes:

2019 Vogue P400e

Post #566262 4th Sep 2020 11:12am
cupples8267

Faith restored, dealer is replacing the advisory items, were very understanding when I visited them in person. Thank you all for your advice.

Post #566287 4th Sep 2020 4:10pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Thumbs Up Them dealers are brilliant eh Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #566354 5th Sep 2020 8:41am
MARK-L

United Kingdom 
Re: Approved used with MOT advisories

cupples8267 wrote:
Hi all, I just purchased a 2016 Vogue SE SDV8 from an LR dealer under the approved used scheme. Turns out the recent MOT conducted by them prior to selling had advisories for front discs and rear flexi pipes. What is the LR policy on selling approved used with advisories?

JLR main dealers are appalling!

I had a kind of similar thing with an XF-S. Two weeks after buying the low brake pad warning came up. The sales manager agreed that the car should never have been sold like that and replaced them FOC.

A few weeks ago I bought a L405 and I've had some teething problems. They forgot to service it and didn't tell me the correct number of owners. The next day they delivered a Velar courtesy car and took the RR away for service.
The sales manager then worked with me to agree a solution to the owners issue.

The frustration here is that you have to catch them out and then escalate it. The only reason I buy from main dealer is to get the warranty as the rest of the experience is crap!

Post #573213 17th Nov 2020 3:34pm
cupples8267

I agree. There were some people saying "well its a used vehicle, what do you expect" but I totally get why buying from an MD is favourable. You do expect the vehicle to be in good serviceable condition hence paying an extra premium. Good luck with your case- hold the MD to account

Post #573216 17th Nov 2020 3:48pm
MARK-L

United Kingdom 

chugga90 wrote:

I think they used to use, not sure if they still do, “approved used, as good as new” or some other tosh like that?

Just taken from https://used.landrover.co.uk/commitment

Post #573231 17th Nov 2020 5:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>