Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Big Blue V8 Story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Well after the rain passed today, decided to crack on with the alternator on the car. Quite surprisingly, I had it all out in 40 mins so quite impressed with that. Going to do the rocker covers as well. Ordered the gaskets and the alternator ring from island 4x4 but they say be 3 days before dispatch. Going too take the rocker covers off tomorrow so the range is all ready to be put back together when the parts turn up which will hopefully be done on Thursday. Guess one good thing from all this is the petrol bill is considerably cheaper this month as I'm using the bike but not sure the cold weather is worth it

Post #578429 4th Jan 2021 5:56pm
Bean19844

So today's work consisted of refitting the alternator. All went back together as easy as it was too take apart. Alternator O ring and rocker cover gaskets turned up so clean the alternator off and replace tee O ring. All replaced within an hour except the wate
pipe I've lost the quick kilck clip of the pipe to the alternator so ordered a new pipe. Going to just pull the clip off and put it on but means I'll have a spare pipe now.

Was going to start taking the cam cover off how ever it started getting a bit dark and some stupid pratt (me) forgot to order the nut and bolt seals for the cam cover. Rocker cover gaskets turned up earlier today. Other seals should arrive at land rover tomorrow so will get them, then go pick up some sealant, brake cleaner to clean the cover and some led side light bulbs.

Post #578551 5th Jan 2021 6:11pm
Bean19844

Today's work consisted of changing the rocker covers but first of a trip to land rover to collect all the nut seals. £50 for 22 rubber seals. Get home take the rocker cover off and the gaskets would appear to be all rock solid. Cleaned the covers up, and start putting it back together and what do I discover. Land rover messed up the order and sent the wrong amount of seals for the bolys and not enough for the others so on the blower and get them ordered so I'll grab them tomorrow. Managed to get the passenger side all done and back together though however I run out of day light for the driver side. In between I've spray painted the cover for the bike.
Had the cover about 8 months and never bothered so thought time too get it done and get it fitted to the bike.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Can cover released after a bit of gentle persuasion

Click image to enlarge

Keeping the coils all in order!!!!

Click image to enlarge

New rubbers added courtesy of the kettle helping me

Bike cover looking good

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Bean19844 on 11th Jan 2021 5:59pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #578715 6th Jan 2021 7:18pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Mate - still really enjoying your updates - and it looks like you've been busy despite a bout of covid and the cold weather. Your comment about saving petrol made me chuckle - I really miss my Rangie but I so don't miss filling up time Very Happy

Did you manage to sort the side steps in the end?

Anyway - keep up the good work. At least it is supposed to be getting a bit warmer for next week so should make your bike a bit more bearable!

Cheers, Mark Current Cars:
MY11 5.0 SC Stornoway - sold
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evolution Convertible Estoril

Post #578932 7th Jan 2021 9:48pm
Bean19844

Cheers Mark

Well whilst out on my travels today I filled the bike up. First time in two weeks for an expensive £14.03 with tescos momentum. That will see me another week. Back to land rover today to collect the correct nut rubbers. Fair play to the parts manager, couldn't have been any more apologetic. Initially land rover only owed me 24p on the parts but they done me a good will gesture let's say.

Managed too get it all back together today after a late start. Managed too get it all back together bar one washer for the coil pack nut. Going to go and pick up a multi washer pack in the morning so I can fit the last part then I've got the fun part of bleeding the water system however the unlocking and opening with a low battery finally took its toll today and the battery died so that's currently on charge. Why oh why does one simple job being the spark plugs turn into a row of problems.... Hoping its sorted for tomorrow as I've gotta bring the trailer home and fit the new zara draw bar too it.

This whole being of sick lark with covid ain't a bad thing. Never got so much done in such little time

Driver side all done. Even gave the cover a bit of a clean up.

Click image to enlarge

Battery on charge. Not the lightest thing too move this especially when the plonker of an owner forgets too set the ride height in the low position.

Click image to enlarge

New update tomorrow evening I suspect

Last edited by Bean19844 on 11th Jan 2021 6:03pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #578947 8th Jan 2021 12:16am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

Love reading these threads great stuff.
Just shows if you are handy on the tools they are not too bad cost wise Thumbs Up 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #578956 8th Jan 2021 9:59am
Bean19844

Cheers jayk69

To be honest cars can be pretty simple too work on
Just need to have a decent tool set too start of with and remember how they come apart as it can only go back the same way. I quite like updating things like this as it gives you something too read and learn from

Post #578962 8th Jan 2021 11:29am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

I have to do my belts on TDV8 4.4!!
looks a real pain to be honest access is tight so i am planning to replace the lot belts pullies and tensioners + water pump. to get better access i am going to remove headlamps + Front Bumper + crash guard looks like i can remove 1 bottom hose off RAD (Needs a coolant service anyhow) Intercooler hose then swing them all to 1 side.
this way i should have much better access.
Not sure what else this will give me access to but i can inspect and replace if required. for the extra couple of hours to remove and re-fit bumper and stuff on my drive so no ramp it seems the way to go.

I know it can be done without removal of all that but it looks to be a real pain!! + i am not very tall have big fat forearms and hands that always hamper me in tight spaces. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #578974 8th Jan 2021 2:23pm
Bean19844

Sounds like that could be fun mate. Think if I was doing the same and didn't rely on the car I'd take the whole front end off myself. Bumper, lights and grill really don't take long too remove but gives you so much more access. I done the same on mine but I was lucky as my air con rad had a whole so had already decompressed itself so made it even easier.

Still in my case today fitted it all back together, battery put on, water and coolant added and the range fired up no troubles however 2 minutes later while the fans are blowing it decided not to run and started dying. Tried to give it some gas but didn't get too it in time. Tried starting it again and all it does is spin over but won't start now. Going to hazard a guess the plugs need changing again. Just wish I had a proper air compressor handy so I could blow the oil out.

Well The AA are enroute to jump start it now for me so won't complain

Post #578985 8th Jan 2021 4:43pm
Bean19844

So finally found the issue on the v8 being the number 4 Injector had spun 90° so wasn't even connected Whistle Whistle so reconnected that and hey presto a healthy running range on all 8 cylinders. Was planning on getting the trailer to do some maintenance on that however that ain't going too happen now due to lack of time as I need too replace the draw bar, jockey wheel and all the wiring.

Still had the side steps refitted a while ago and cleaned up the engine bay a little bit so looks a bit more tidier now

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #579085 9th Jan 2021 3:22pm
Bean19844

Decided tonight I'd get the lights sorted on the car on the dashboard. Feels quite nice this now without the eml or airbag light on. I wonder how long it will last. Found a detailer who's sorted out part of the white paint on the rear quarter so he's given me some advice how too deal with it so thats the next job.

Post #580674 21st Jan 2021 8:13pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

keep up the good work Thumbs Up is your 14 days up yet...................

Post #580678 21st Jan 2021 9:10pm
Bean19844

Cheers Mr glover

Yep long past the 14 days. Been signed off now for upto 3 months as I need too be 110% fit before I can return too duty. Still gives me time too sort loads of things on the range, trailer, house and garden tbh so I'm happy.

Post #580684 21st Jan 2021 9:34pm
Bean19844

Only a minor update but I'm happy with the results, used some g3 to try and get this scuff out and its 95% there

From this

Click image to enlarge

To this

Then the FFRR logo added, just gotta wait for the other two to arrive in stock and get them placed on the motor.

Post #581012 25th Jan 2021 1:20am
Bean19844

Driving home the other day and I've noticed that the heating is blowing hot when set at 16° on the temp with the centre button on cold. Even with the air con running passenger side ice cold, driver side nice and warm. Works absolutely fine on the passenger side and the rear so decided that I'll try the water heater solenoid. Pretty straight forward to replace and all done even in the snow we have here in East london

Took me all of 30 mins to change.

Got the dreaded rear brake disc plates too do soon on this so thinking I'll put my welding skills of none to use soon and cut the new plates in half, fit them to the rear hubs then weld back into place.

Can see how this is going too end up going for me

Post #582689 7th Feb 2021 1:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>