Home > Technical (L322) > New Owner - Errors and faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ashmyster79

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
New Owner - Errors and faults

Hi all

Newbie here but have owned supercharger before which was mint. I have revisited ownership of an L322 and it has a few problems

Car has been in the garage 9 days of an 11 day ownership

MOT done
New fuel pump (don't think it needed it)
Wishbone replaced
Gearbox refurb
Ecu remap

I had the most brain killing smell in the car which turns out to have been a major carbon monoxide leak. I put my tester from the kitchen in the car and was getting 75-80 the smell was just ridiculous. Took it to the garage as I thought cats were removed or knackered but was told it would be the fuel pump ecu. Had those done still there just as bad. I did some YouTube stuff as we do and read it could have been a few things and start with spark plugs. The guy I bought it off was clearly a cowboy turns out the new spark plugs he said on the advert were not new and or fitted correctly and the fuel pump was not new and the ecu remap for power actually reduced power. Anyway new spark plugs and the smell has gone. Just hope it wasn't just the Sparks as the whole lot cost me £1100 for the pleasure.

Anyway that's fixed I can drive without gassing myself or the kids. Still got a few probs which I know would have been covered a million times and have looked over some but if anyone could answer all of the below in one sweep I would be most greatful

1. Licence plate lights not working fault on dash on start up
2. TPMS light (hack to switch off)
3. Wing mirrors out of sync (which fuses should I pull)?
4. Heated steering wheel light flashes on then off (new wheel or module)?
5. Rear camera (aftermarket replacement)
6. Rear wiper not working (fuse,rust, wiring)?

Few parts needed also

1. Potential steering wheel (good to excellent condition please)
2. Rear parcel shelf
3. Power socket/cigar lighter for the front

I think that's it. I bought a lemon but want to turn it in to a peach or as close too. Any links, advice or pointers be great. I will be skimming the forum also.

IF YOU GET CARBON MONOXIDE IN YOUR CABIN CHECK THE SPARK PLUGS FIRST!!!

Post #572048 7th Nov 2020 11:06am
Navydoc

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Ipanema Sand

You must have been other combustion gases present too as Carbon Monoxide has no odour or taste which is why it’s so dangerous 👍

Post #572050 7th Nov 2020 11:17am
Ashmyster79

Oh definitely. The smell I couldn't even describe it. I guess it was like having the exhaust re rooted back in to the cabin. I drove it home 2-3 hours had a mad headache. I survived though. Definitely going to keep the tester in the car for a while but the smell has totally gone!!!

Post #572052 7th Nov 2020 11:24am
Ashmyster79

**UPDATE**

So just stated up and got a couple of errors on the dash. Plugged ODB in and it is still showing the misfire on cylinder 3-5-7 that I had yesterday before the Sparks were replaced. Any ideas of why the ODB would be showing these errors and what the cause would be. New sparks should cure this right??

Post #572057 7th Nov 2020 11:57am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

We’re the faults cleared?

If not clear them and see if they come back.

In terms of the spark plugs curing a mid fire, that really depends on whether it was them which was causing the misfire in the first place. Could be coil packs or fueling also. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #572085 7th Nov 2020 3:55pm
oggy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

i think the best thing would be bite the bullet and replace all coil packs the time it takes to remove all the covers to get to the plugs just replace the coils as well if 3/5/7 are down it is not going to be long be for the rest fail . it is like people replace one side like ball joint track rod end etc you just as well replace them all . job done new vehicle purchase
2007 supercharged 4.2 java black .sand leather vogue se trim
previous cars .
range rover classic 200 tdi
discovery 1 200 tdi
freelander 2 2008 hse
discovery 1 300 tdi
p38 4.0 ltr man r380 ex royal support vehicle on v5c
discovery td5 man off roader

Post #572092 7th Nov 2020 4:28pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

With a fuel pump changed, spark plugs changed, and a remap done, I'd almost feel like there is too much change to clearly understand what is causing it.

I would ask whoever has done the remap to check it out as they should have tools providing more information than an OBD reader and not just that, also be able to interpret what the live readings are doing.

PS. I made me smile you calling the previous owner a cowboy and are now looking into a hack for the TPMS Razz My previous owner disabled TPMS and removed the valves, I call them a cowboy for that. I mean why remove such a useful tool.

Post #572145 8th Nov 2020 9:46am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Because anyone with half a brain or a modicum of observant skills does not need a computer to inform when a tyre is underinflated Rolling Eyes

Post #572148 8th Nov 2020 10:08am
Bl4ckD0g

I will bow to your superior skills that when looking at a tyre you can just see that a front right is 2PSI less than rear left Wink

I find it useful to get that imbalance reported to me so I can rectify it opposed to having to get in and dirty and check each corner myself. That is the great thing about computers, they can provide assistance for mundane and non-value-add tasks without complaining.

I mean, sure I don't need a computer to alert me that it is time for my appointment. I could keep looking at the clock instead Wink

Post #572149 8th Nov 2020 10:21am
Ashmyster79

They are good when they work. When they don't the blinking error gets annoying. True you can't tell visually if it's 1-2 psi but you can when it is totally flat. I had this on my Bentley GT. £1000 to put 4 batteries in tyres was a bit steep so just let the display show the error. To be fair I don't know if the tyres/wheels have the batteries in so will find out when I do a tyre change at some point. For now it will be hidden behind a dot of black masking tape 😉

I'm not a cowboy just now skint 😭

Post #572162 8th Nov 2020 12:21pm
Ashmyster79

Thanks for all the tips and info. I did think coil packs too but wasn't expecting to pay out a grand straight off. My own fault I guess. The smell is like going through the Blackwell tunnel (if anyone has) in rush hour that's what it smells like in the car. Sparks changed the smell has significantly reduced so it might just be in the fabric of the car so to speak. Needs the windows open.

Where I had the work done I have lost confidence in them. I shouldn't really be telling the garage what to do or plug in. After all I am only going off my little ODB and YouTube.

I got someone else I trust more who will see if there is a leak from the manifold to the cats as this I have read is really dangerous. But like I said on a drive the smell seems to have gone or significantly reduced but with CO2 you can't see it. I will keep all posted. Appreciated the input from all.

Post #572163 8th Nov 2020 12:25pm
Bl4ckD0g

Yeah Censored . Personally I would first want the remap removed and get the car to stock just to eliminate the remap. I would only put one on by those who can actually make them and not just download from the internet, and then only on a good working car. Just a thought.

Post #572164 8th Nov 2020 12:31pm
Ashmyster79

Yes so cowboy seller said

Remapped
New sparks
New fuel pump

Turns out maybe not new sparks or gapped correctly
Not new fuel pump
And mapping was Censored

So I had it reput back to stock however now you have said that Ineed to check that was done correctly. But I still think/hunch it's dead cats (not literally)

I might take it for a blast now.

Post #572166 8th Nov 2020 1:31pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Get it on some ramps, get them to check for exhaust and EGR leaks (pretty sure it has some even though petrol) round the engine bay and underneath.

What would worry me more is that the path for any CO should be through the exhaust system to the back of the car, not into the cabin. Even if the spark plugs were duff or the coils weren’t working the combustion gasses still shouldn’t end up in the cabin.

You may be into something with duff cats or possibly knackered Lambda sensors, but it needs plugging in to see what the values are for different sensors to get a good idea, rather than replacing stuff on a “it could be that” whim. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #572169 8th Nov 2020 1:39pm
Ashmyster79

The last one I had few years back had a lambda sensor issue so was an easy replace and the error code suggested that so was an easy fix. You are 100% right though it should never be able to come in the cabin. When fans were on it would come through them I am sure.

I just took it for a drive and there was no smell at all and the monoxide sensor did not display any numbers to suggest CO2. So thought it might have cleared (head scratching). I left it idling for 10 mins then went back to the car stationary and the co2 monitor was displaying numbers. So in motion it seems OK but stationary for a while it creeps up. Not to the numbers I was getting but still enough to concern. I will get it up on the ramps as you suggest and check for any leaks engine bay end. I might just replace cats anyway to tick off the list. Not ideal but it will rule them out. Let's see what a lift in the air will tell us.

Thanks all for the input. Just hope no one else has this issue.

Post #572176 8th Nov 2020 3:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>