Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 
Sit on Grass cutters

I’m thinking about a new sit on lawnmower

I currently have an Iseki 21HP with a hi lift tip, diesel

I will probably buy a the same again , but before I do so I wondered if anyone had thoughts/ recommendations as they are eye watering expensive & there may be something else that’s worth considering.

My limited thoughts ; Petrol never starts, Iseki don’t clog (very often,) . 600L collector. Go on and on and on. Tuff . Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #576619 19th Dec 2020 7:32pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Get a robomower- I did and it’s perfect. Does its thing in peace and solitude. And lawn looks good every day, not just the few days after I’ve cut it.

Post #576627 19th Dec 2020 7:57pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I’ve got an old mountfield front deck mower. It’s old but works brilliantly, much much more manoeuvrable than a tractor.

The equivalent as they’ve stopped making it is a Stiga Park. I’ve got a 105mm cut on it with a mulching deck so it doesn’t need to pick up, just finely chops the grass. If you cut your grass regularly, then mulching is great, you can’t see the clippings on the lawn they just vanish.

Honestly if you haven’t tried a centre pivot zero turn mower then give one a go. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #576634 19th Dec 2020 8:58pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Bill

Anything with a high lift tip is in commercial territory and going to be expensive. I hear great things about the Iseki's and it sounds like yours has given Stirling service. I went with Kubota because I was offered a great deal on an ex demo as my first machine and as that was trouble free, have stuck with them ever since (G21, G23). My use is heavy domestic (couple of acres). They cut in all conditions, rarely block, leave a lovely finish and above all, just work.

I agree that when you buy your first one, it does seem a bit crazy to spend that much on a lawnmower but they do tend to hold their values really well which makes it a bit easier when it comes time to update.

Sure, there are plenty of other cheaper alternatives and I seem to have tried them all but they won't cut/collect when it's wet, they have tiny collection boxes and are constantly needing bits replacing.

Good luck.

Cheers, Mark Current Cars:
MY11 5.0 SC Stornoway - sold
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evolution Convertible Estoril

Post #576639 19th Dec 2020 9:52pm
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

You don't say how big an area you need to cut...

I have nearly an acre of field plus front and rear gardens of fine lawn, and I use a 12.5 hp Husqvarna, made by American Yard Products, that has been ultra reliable (over about 25 years), it cuts very rough ground and cuts fine lawn (not as quite good as my cylinder mower)
I use it to vacuum the drive of leaves as well as towing a trailer instead of using a wheelbarrow

A good workhorse that I could not be without. Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #576648 20th Dec 2020 1:31am
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

John Deere might be worth a look the whole range is quite reasonably priced. I've had mine 3 years now and it's never missed a beat, massive improvement from all of the previous ones I've had.
Most models have mulching blades available for a quick change without changing the whole deck.

Post #576698 20th Dec 2020 3:58pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Agree about John Deere but another marque is Gianni Ferrari. The 200Tg is diesel and would fit the bill. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #576701 20th Dec 2020 4:27pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

Another major consideration is whether you have slopes or flat land. If flat then anything will work and you will be able to get a better finish with some finer rotaries or even cylinder gang. I used to have a zero turn Kubota with a 4ft deck and collector which was great for the lawns, around flower beds etc but rubbish on slopes. And we have lots of slopes so it gets more tricky - eg the Stiga Park Pro we trialed despite being 4WD was unstable on turns at the bottom and struggled for traction up hill, whereas it was really good on the flat. For the last decade we've had an Aebi Terracut TC7 with 4ft triple rotary for the bits closer to the house - and that can be used up to about 40 degrees. I used to have a Kubota tractor with 6ft Muthing flail for the bigger bits further way from the house but that got written off so I replaced it with a BCS (same flail). BCS, Ferrari and Pasquali are all the same "alpine" tractors, all made in the same factory just depends what colour you like - BCS/Blue, Ferrari/Green, Pasquali/Yellow. They are very good on slopes if not quite as good as the Aebi and you can get normal steer or articulated if you need tighter turns - Normal steer better on slopes. While the Kubota was fantastic as a tractor, the BCS is comparatively "agricultural" and the 56hp diesel puts out a lot of black smog - but it is much more stable on slopes. They're all daft money though - just looking at what you actually get compared to a car etc. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #576723 20th Dec 2020 6:21pm
Johnh

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

It depends on size to mow, finish required and how many trees, bushes, etc get in the way. I have a simplicity regent 40" cut, which can collect, not collect or mulch.

Had it 12 years, giving the deck an overall this year.

If purchasing now I would look at a zero turn, since the tree count has gone up

Post #576748 20th Dec 2020 9:41pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

We bought a John Deere 455 with a 54” deck and a 346T collector on the back of it in 2004. Other then changing the collector for an MCS560 last year, we’ve not had to do anything other then routing servicing. It’s been a fantastic machine and I’d have another in a heartbeat if anything ever happened to this one.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #576764 21st Dec 2020 12:08am
Bill

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone

Reworded my reply which was incoherent being posted late at night.

My problem starts with 10 acres of wood Implanted 15 years ago , which is getting overgrown in parts . I use my grass cutter, an Iseki which has a long back end. Pretty good at it, except the back end swings out bashes a tree and will eventually do serious damage to the machine.

So my idea was to take the back end off, and just use the cutting part to deal with the wood. This would leave me in need of a grass cutter for about 5 acres of grass I cut, hence my question.

As a replacement Iseki grass cutter is £15-19k , I changed tack and started to think about a sit on brush cutter . The Iseki is to small

Iseki suggested buying a slightly larger tractor unit. Chop in my new holland 75 super steer , which is now to big. Reluctant to do loose the new holland, but not out of the question

During the search I came across the robot grass cutter, mega bucks, but just an interesting machine.

https://www.abreyagricultural.com/ See robotics section

Thanks again Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #577138 25th Dec 2020 12:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1