Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Autoglass windscreen issues.....again....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Autoglass windscreen issues.....again....

My heart sank as a lump of something was thrown from a lorry into my windscreen, not because of the damage but the hassle I knew would follow....

This is a letter going to my Insurers tomorrow, any info, help or comments welcome....

Dear Sir or Madam

Can you please take this communication as an official complaint against Autoglass and it’s repeated inability to supply the correct screen.

I contacted your windscreen replacement service, Autoglass, on 23rd November 2020 following damage received to the windscreen of my 2011 Range Rover, they were supplied with the full details of the vehicle including the VIN number.

On 30th November 2020 an Autoglass fitter turned up to fit a new windscreen, as soon as he saw my vehicle he stated that he had the wrong windscreen, the glass he had was not a “Solar screen”

At this point I have to stress that the term “Solar Glass” appears to have many names:-
Solar Glass
UV coated
Climate controlled glass
Heat/UV reflective
I’m sure there are others, it appears that this is a reflective coating on the outside of the glass that reflects UV light and heat and keeps the inside of the vehicle cooler on hot days. All of the side glass and rear screen have the same coating, it gives the glass a purble/blue hue and is easily recognised.
The fitter said that he would undertake to get the correct screen.

On 3rd December an appointment was made to fit the “correct” glass, I was phoned by the fitter who stated he had been given the same piece of incorrect glass to fit to my vehicle, he cancelled the appointment and said he would get back to the people who obtain the glass and sort the problem.

A few days later I was contacted and a further appointment was made to fit the “correct” glass.

On 14th December a fitter arrived, again with the wrong glass, he noticed this immediately just as the other fitters had, he suggested that I ask for OE glass to be fitted. I stated that I don’t mind who makes the glass as long as it is the same specification as the glass it replaces. The specification is
Green top tint
Electrically heated
Acoustic glass
Heat/UV coated
Vin hole
Moisture control for automatic wipers.

The following day I was contacted by Jade Lumley and told that if I wanted genuine OE glass that I would have to pay around £850 extra as a betterment figure. I stated I did not request OE glass, this was suggested by the fitter. She asked what the problem was and I sent her a picture of my windscreen, she agreed that it was different to the one they were trying to fit and attempted to get the purchasing department to get the correct glass. They stated that the glass they had was to fit a Range Rover from 2002 to 2012 and was the correct glass. I asked if they could see if they could purchase the glass from another screen manufacturer and was told they had tried but it was the same as the one they had….

At this point I contacted Land Rover myself for more information.

The screen in my vehicle appears to be the original, it has a Land Rover Logo.
They stated that there was only one part number to fit my vehicle, this was LR039063
This was only fitted to 2010 to 2012 Range Rovers, it is not the same as earlier models.
THIS PART NUMBER HAS THE SAME SPECIFICATION AS THE BROKEN SCREEN IN MY VEHICLE
The part is on back order and there are none in stock in the UK

I contacted Autoglass again and made a formal complaint, I also spoke to Admiral Multicar Claims dept, Admiral contacted Autoglass and returned a call to me to say that Autoglass were ordering the correct glass and that they would contact me to arrange fitment.

I was contacted by Craig Molloy from Autoglass, after explaining the issues so far he assured me that the screen they were going to fit was the exact same specification as a screen that would be available from Land Rover, he could not, despite repeated requests, tell me what that specification was, he could not give me ANY specification of the part they were trying to fit, he just kept saying it would be the same specification as a screen supplied by Land Rover at this time. He stated that this was a superseded part and indeed it maybe, but the specification, supplied to me by Land Rover, is the same as the one currently fitted to my car.

Presuming that I would now be getting the correct screen the forth appointment was made for a fitter to attend on 28th December 2020 to fit the screen.

Imagine my utter disbelief for the fitter to turn up and inform me he did not have a screen to the correct specification, again it was not coated Solar Glass

I have contacted another windscreen company and they would have no issues in obtaining the correctly specified glass from Pilkington with all the features mine has.

I would like to point out that it is Autoglass employees that have stated they are being told to fit the incorrect glass, they, quite correctly, informed me of the difference in specification, they are as astonished as me that they are not being supplied the correct glass to fit.

Can you please instruct Autoglass to fit a windscreen to the specification currently fitted to my vehicle, these screens are available from Pilkington UK. I am not asking for anything extra just a screen that is the same specification.

If this is not possible, can you instruct another windscreen company to replace this screen, I have details of a local company who can do this.

Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #577559 28th Dec 2020 9:35pm
JNC

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Nara Bronze

I had / am having similar issue with National Windscreens myself at the moment.
They replaced my screen (2011 with 4-zone climate-solar windscreen) mid December with an aftermarket screen.
Was marked Solar and Noise.
Few days later on first motorway journey there was whistling etc. The tA pillar trims were loose and rooof rail rubber was flapping.
They returned and told me screen was fitted incorrectly.
They took it away for the day and returned later. The interior panels were filthy and incorrectly fitted. On inspection the replacement screen only states noise no solar.
I am awaiting a reply from National Windscreens.

Post #577569 28th Dec 2020 10:29pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Years ago, I needed a screen on my 735i. I wanted the proper one so said I was taking it to the local BMW dealer to be done. Insurer said they were only paying the cost of a similar screen and I would be liable for anything more. I contacted the Insurance Ombudsmen and insurance company then covered full cost of the correct screen....

It’s never much fun when dealing with this stuff. Why should you be expected to accept less? They expect you to pay the premium in full, so they should replace the windscreen in full....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #577571 28th Dec 2020 10:36pm
Haylands

JNC I stand and watch them like a hawk to avoid dirty trim and poor fitting, the standards of some are appalling.....

Mark, yes, it is weird I have to pay a betterment figure to get the SAME glass it already has...!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #577572 28th Dec 2020 10:41pm
JNC

My policy has a £1000 limit.
Excess is £50 using their provider, £100 using my own.

Post #577586 28th Dec 2020 11:19pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I had exactly the same problem with Direct Line and autoglass back in 2014 with my L494 Range Rover Sport.

Auto glass kept turning up with the wrong screens and Direct Line insisted that I pay the difference for an original Pilkington RR screen. I think that Direct Line offered me £75 donation and I was going to have to pay the remaining £1200 myself.

In the end I escalated my complaint with Direct Line. They reluctantly paid for a proper Range Rover screen and then when my policy was due for renewal I moved the 6 cars we had on the multi policy to another insurer.

I have avoided Admiral Insurance ever since....

Jim

Last edited by jim4244 on 29th Dec 2020 1:26pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #577590 28th Dec 2020 11:46pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Same problem with auto glass with our old Mercedes AMG GLS63. It took 8, I kid you not, 8 attempts to get proper glass in.

Attempt 1-4 was the same windscreen that was faulty being recycled and over and over again send out. Electronics were broken at the bottom.

Attempt 5, the windscreen broke when being fitted.

Attempts 6 & 7, the wipers wouldn’t go over it smoothly.

Attempt 8, a real Mercedes supplied windscreen with easy fit, wipers worked properly. And all good.

Hastings Direct not only insisted on our behalf to speed this up, and get (in the end) an original windscreen. But on top of that they put a gesture for our hassle towards us which was the cost of my insurance returned. So basically a year free insurance.

It was no big hardship to me, just a nuisance to see these guys so often. I appealed to their own profit making and that the costs of coming out so many times surely is way more than getting a proper windscreen in the first place.

Post #577595 29th Dec 2020 12:14am
Haylands

JNC, who are you with..

Jim, yeah it looks like it will be a full blown complaint... Shame there are no original screens in the country and has been on back order for months...!!

Blackdog, I'm not surprised, their incompetence is legendary.... Pete

Post #577601 29th Dec 2020 12:41am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I felt sorry for the fitters. They weren’t making any money either, just a wasted journey over and over again. He had to hold the faulty screen back in his van to ensure they wouldn’t send the same one out again. An absolutely ridiculous business model.

Post #577602 29th Dec 2020 12:46am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Not withstanding the above comments I had to have a screen fitted to the RR last year after a small chip turned into a large crack overnight. Autoglass turned up with the correct Pilkington windscreen without me saying anything, it was fitted by two fitters who did an excellent job- couldn't fault them in the slightest.
The only problem they had was getting one of the windscreen wipers off that was well and truly stuck, bent their pullers on it.
I used a heat gun on it in the end.
So Autoglass isn't all bad all of the time.
I suggest it would be a good idea for everyone to remove their wiper arms and grease the splines before re-fitting, could save a lot of hassle in the future.

Post #577624 29th Dec 2020 11:14am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Astounding.

I’ve had a couple Done by Autoglass over the years, never had a problem. Requested that they get me a Pilkington Screen with the right coatings etc. 2 vans Turned up and they did it spot on.

Something has gone wrong here, there sounds like there is a chap in the warehouse who is wrong and insisting that they fit what he has got!

Solar attenuating glass is a pretty common spec certainly on the Pilkington screens fitted to the later cars. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #577628 29th Dec 2020 11:42am
Haylands

They are wanting to fit a Shatterprufe windscreen, these are made in South Africa by a company called PILKINGTON SHATTERPRUFE SAFETY GLASS (PTY) LTD

Is it coincidental that this company AND Autoglass are both owned by Belron...!!!

I have no issues with having a Shatterprufe windscreen fitted, they have been making them since 1935 and work under license to Pilkington, just wish they had one the same spec as mine...!!!

Complaint now logged with Admiral Multi Car and Autoglass... lets see what happens... Pete

Post #577680 29th Dec 2020 5:59pm
JNC

The glass they fitted to mine was XYG. Made in China.

Post #577701 29th Dec 2020 8:20pm
Haylands

A genuine screen from JLR with heating, solar and acoustic is £520 from Robin at Duckworths...

But JLR don't have any in the UK, they have been on back order for a few months...!!! Pete

Post #577784 30th Dec 2020 4:07pm
Nylands

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Something should be done to stop the insurance companies doing this. Nothing to advanced regarding the glass in my Volvo V70 some years ago. Found large Ford garage locally who could replace drivers glass after a thief the next day! Rang my insurance company to inform them, nothing stolen nor claimed for, just trim and glass. Sorry you must go to your local Autoglass unit. Appointment made for a few days later. Right the man said, how many windows do you want? Just the one and the Trim replaced please. BUT he said I can change the all? 4 days lost at work and the insurance company could have been cheated also: no cost saving to them?

Dave

Post #577867 31st Dec 2020 1:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>