Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > First Winter in FFRR Love / Hate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
First Winter in FFRR Love / Hate

I love the sure footedness even on 22” wheels with Pirelli Scorpio Verde. Also like the heated steering wheel.

But that is where my patience is starting to run out.

1. The stupid frozen door lock design is just daft and causes issues in actually being able to use the car. I thought I’d be prepared to preheat the car for my wife as those stupid doors won’t close until the car is heated up. Great”ish. Job done, but ahem after locking up a warm car and making a coffee whilst handing the keys to my wife to use it to go to school, she can’t open it up. The drivers door is frozen shut again. What the Censored . So she has to climb in across the passenger seat to get going and not be late for school.

2. The heated front windscreen seems to operate one day just fine but then today decides not to do anything. But then kicked in at the very last bit when the blower has done the majority of the work. Grrr, also took much longer than it can be.

3. All of a sudden my heated seat wasn’t warming up. Yesterday it was just fine. I bet tomorrow it will be fine again.

I’m going to have to order a set of winter wheels and tyres for her BMW M2. We decided not to do that as when it is bad she can just take my car. But you can’t rely on the off-road king to simply operate its doors with a mild frost. Damn even my daughters 33 year old car still works.

Yup today I’m hating the car.

Post #583062 10th Feb 2021 9:24am
Martin2

England 

Is it the locks or the doors that are frozen?

The drivers door on mine was frozen on the first very cold day a while back despite running the FBH for 15mins and it was worse than I've had on any other car, none of which I could pre-heat. After reading about it on here, I ordered some Gummy Flege and gave it a quick wipe over the door/boot rubbers and it's been fine since, even when I haven't used the FBH.

I've used my wife's Golf R the last couple of mornings as I only needed to drive a couple of miles to take the little one to Nursery and her car lives in the garage. I really missed the heated steering wheel and the heated seats take an age to warm up, I might as well not have bothered, the RR is warm by the end of the road. No heated windscreen issues in the RR either.

Time to upgrade to an L405! Very Happy MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #583063 10th Feb 2021 9:33am
Bl4ckD0g

No frozen door, as mentioned it would open but then not close. Then once warmed up it would close. But when switched off and locked then it wouldn’t open anymore.

My wife had to climb in from the passenger side, and by the time she was at school all was fine.

Post #583070 10th Feb 2021 10:09am
Martin2

England 

This is what I used for the rubbers, £10 well spent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012A...&psc=1 MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #583071 10th Feb 2021 10:11am
Bl4ckD0g

Yup I’ve got the same. That is not the issue though Smile The issue is inside the doors with the mechanism, not the rubbers around it. 👍

Post #583072 10th Feb 2021 10:21am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

Yup had the same problem!!
Door card off and sprayed some Silicone lube in the cable Outers like i do on my MTB gear cables Shocked and anything else i could see that looked suspect.
Tonight will be the real test temp is due to drop to -7 and i have only done the drivers door so far Thumbs Up

I think the issue is the cables freezing so when you pull the handle the cable does not move so the door latch remains closed or eventually it does move but stays in the open position (This is what happened to me) and the door will not shut Censored Censored . the only way i could get the door to stay closed was to lock the door, then it would not open again from inside or outside the car.

I think the cables have stretched and when it is warmer i might look at replacing them!! Thumbs Up 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #583075 10th Feb 2021 10:42am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

this has been talked about for many years here on the forum..

the door has two seals and are prone to retaining water which freezes.. solution is a rubber lubricant like gummi phledge.

the locks also freeze so a strip and adaque amounts of grease packed in helps...

these shouldn't be the kind of problems that a high end vehicle should have but unfortunately the FF does.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #583079 10th Feb 2021 10:56am
Martin2

England 

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
Yup I’ve got the same. That is not the issue though Smile The issue is inside the doors with the mechanism, not the rubbers around it. 👍

Ahhh, sorry. That's ridiculous, how did it get through cold weather testing?! It's not that cold in the UK.... MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #583081 10th Feb 2021 10:58am
Bl4ckD0g

I think Stan said it right Smile These are not the kind of problem a high end vehicle should have. But unfortunately they do.

Very frustrating and it’s like it sticks two finger up at me when you think you opened the door, warmed it up, finally managed to clock the door. Switches it off to have your coffee or tea before ready to go out; and bang it’s just frozen again.

Lol not even my bicycle cables do that 🤣

And it’s too cold to get my door cards off outside and my garage too messy to do it inside.

Yup I’m grumpy today.

More so than usual before anyone says anything 🤣

Post #583091 10th Feb 2021 11:32am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

There’s a grommet on the rear of the front doors just by the door lock, I popeped that off occasionally and lobed a can of spray grease onto whatever I could hit.

If you’ve got one of those little cheap inspection cameras then you can poke that in to have a look round.... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #583159 10th Feb 2021 7:52pm
drakes

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I had the same problem yesterday. Car opened okay so set off to work with the gauge reading -13 ten miles to work and now the temp is -6 and I can't open the door to get out so I climbed over to the passenger side and that was the same so I ended up climbing out of the window and then using the close function on the remote to shut it again. Will be taking off the door card tomorrow and grease/silicone things, door seals already done. 2010 3.6TDV8 Stornoway Grey/ Black interior - gone
2005 4.4V8 (M62) Bonatti Grey/ Parchment interior - gone
1998 4.6HSE Blue/ Cream interior (can't remember exact colours) - gone
1977 White - gone (should have kept)

Post #583374 12th Feb 2021 12:49pm
Bl4ckD0g

Laughing OMFG You had it even worse. Absolutely ridiculous that these cars have this 'feature'. I wonder whether the Queen does the same.

Post #583381 12th Feb 2021 1:24pm
322BLL

Estonia 

It is just one “thing” that needs new grease time after time to work. 11 years is long time Whistle
30’ job if you have removed the door card before and do not plan to also grease the handle cables.

Post #583406 12th Feb 2021 3:10pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The Queens cars have their own bedrooms! None of that, out in the cold nonsense! Thumbs Up Laughing Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #583421 12th Feb 2021 4:17pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Constant problem where we are, as said many times, kettle with 70/30 boiling water sorts all these problems immediately, using product on the seals is a better long term alternative but with door not shutting kettle is the answer, everyday issue here at the moment Thumbs Up

Post #583443 12th Feb 2021 6:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>