Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Words are failing me. Door handle cable this time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
uzp315

Words are failing me. Door handle cable this time

So after five trips to the tyre place I finally get my TPMS fixed after they damaged the sensor. On my last visit the technician pulled the door handle so hard it pulled the swage end off the cable and now the external handle does not work.

Bought a new door cable from LR and started to fit it.

The swage end barrel seemed to be stuck in the female part. I spared some penetrating fluid and waited. I tried prying, plying, pulling, tapping, and couldn't get it out. It was quite difficult to see for certain if the barrel swage was still in place. I tried getting a camera and torch but couldn't see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzYAu07s_no

Coming back to this video at about 7:48 I could see that I was definitely in the right place. A bit more fettling confirmed that the swage end was still stuck. I tried to prise it out again through the jaws of the female part and then the jaws snapped off that hold the swage end, meaning even if i could get the old barrel swage out of where it has siezed into place, I likely wouldnt get the new one to stay put as there is nothing, but the stupid LR magic (corrosion/rust/bonding of different metals) now holding the old one in place.

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution? Seriously getting to the end of my tether now.

This is the same tyre place that after the first time I went there I needed a new suspension air bag. Not going there again.

Thanks
Mark

Post #583109 10th Feb 2021 1:07pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Why are they not paying for it to be repaired???

Post #583186 10th Feb 2021 10:15pm
uzp315

I removed the handle and was then able to remove the swage end from the female part. It was firmly stuck in place in a way that I would not have been able to get it out whilst the handle was in situ.

I now need to see if I can somehow fix the swage back into the female part, despite the shoulder of the female part having broken off.

Post #583206 11th Feb 2021 7:55am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

As per DrF, the garage broke something and you seem to be the one fixing it. As my grandmother used to say, why have a dog and bark yourself.

Post #583219 11th Feb 2021 9:12am
uzp315

^^ Yes, that may be true but I am not here to discuss that and do not want to muddy the waters of a discussion about looking for a solution with discussion about the garage. Thanks.

Post #583220 11th Feb 2021 9:14am
uzp315

I bought a "dead stock" old handle from Terrain Vehicle breakers (£15 inc P&P), and removed the hinged part that the cable swage/barrel end fits into.

To do this, just tap the end of the pin that holds it all in place and the spring, hinge and pin all come off easily. I then transferred the hinge part from the old handle to the one on my car, reassembled and refitted.

Post #585635 28th Feb 2021 10:12am
RR2B

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

"I tried to prise it out again through the jaws of the female part and then the jaws snapped off that hold the swage end,"

You're not the only one! Exactly the same happened to me, I resorted to a top bodge involving Gorilla tape, but it only held for so long. Scrap handle on order from Gentleman of Salvage, planning to swap over female part just as you have done. 2011MY 4.4TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
TVR Griffith
Alfa Romeo Mito QV

Post #627726 4th Apr 2022 3:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1