Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Old chestnut DPF
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spaceman1000

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aruba
Old chestnut DPF

Drove to work as normal for about 35m on 50mph A road then 70ish on A34 for 20 mins or so. All ok. Couple of small journeys around town. Then another blat down A34 for 25 mins or so. Next start says dpf full and restricted performance!

Drove couple of miles, or tried to with restricted but eventually pulled over. Spoke with LR recovery, see you in a few hours. Ok. Sat for a bit. Started car again. Just the amber engine light only. Drove back to office on A34 for 20 mins no problem. Cancelled recovery. Then went from office to nearest dealer which is about 25 miles away. Next appointment available is March but it’s fine to drive with amber light on.

Left dealer, no warning lights at all now!

Should I have a warning about dpf filling up? Just seems a bit sudden that it goes dpf full and restricted performance

I do some short journeys but at least twice a week has a run at maintained speed

Had restricted performance before when I brought this last year with nothing found, then I noted a leak and this was a worn pipe but the error code initially found by LR recovery was related to fuel pressure.

I love this car but the instant and or intermittent fault does dint my confidence in it a bit

Post #619503 10th Jan 2022 10:28pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

As a matter of interest, What engine do you have and year?

The amber light is your warning.

Active Regenerations, if they are interrupted time after time, eventually lead to an Amber warning. It soon turns to Red.
You cant tell when a Active Regeneration is taking place so you cant tell if it's been interrupted. These Active Regenerations can occur every (100 to 250 miles depending on your journeys).

Passive Regeneration above approx 63mph will slowly burn away the soot deposits (you need minimum 250+Celcius to start the burn process), but its very slow maybe you reduced the level by approx 4%to 5% in that 20 minutes at 70mph, but that can be easily added back on at 50mph in 15mins.

See this recent thread it has details of the Regeneration process, there are apps out there that enables you to monitor in real time when Active and Passive Regenerations are taking place which you can then decide to delay the end of your journey to complete the process.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic62139.html

I have never seen an Amber. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #619513 10th Jan 2022 11:26pm
spaceman1000

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aruba

Hi Kot

It’s the SDV8 MY2016

Thank you for the advice

It’s really the fact I had no warning at all before restricted performance or else I would quite happily try and prevent a DPF issue

Cheers

Mark

Post #619529 11th Jan 2022 9:35am
Landphil

United Kingdom 

I’m tempting providence here but what the heck.
When people get this warning they always think it’s down the way the car is used and that you can’t use the car for lots of short journeys. From what you have said your journeys would not normally cause this problem. I do much shorter trips than that and have so far never had a problem Shocked Basically if you are getting this problem you have an issue with the DPF system and it needs investigation. It could be a sensor, a split in a pipe or something else. There are thousands of these cars out there and while we know they can suffer from oil dilution due to repeated forced regens, generally, the DPF does what it is supposed to do.
By all means give it an Italian Tune Up, but you need good Indie to check it over.

Post #619585 11th Jan 2022 4:34pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Yes how could I resist Rolling with laughter

Interesting Landphil what is your mfg year?

Landphil of course you have a point regarding ensuring we all maintain our FF, I am sure we all do our best in that respect.

However you made an error in your statement which needs clarifying.

Quote:
while we know they can suffer from oil dilution due to repeated forced regens,

Oil dilution occurs every completed Active Regeneration, which will take place between every 100 odd miles to 250 odd miles etc its not just when a forced Regeneration is done. Like you, I have never seen an Amber which proves your DPF system is working and your journey styles suit your car, as you are not unknowingly ending your Active Regenerations prematurely.

However if your journey style is such, that you sometimes never complete an Active Regeneration, the system will try when conditions are met, to do another Active Regeneration and so on etc that's when it can mount up and will eventually create an Amber alarm. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #619591 11th Jan 2022 5:04pm
Landphil

United Kingdom 

My car is an April 2015 manufacture and you are obviously right about the regens. My point is that while regular short trips don’t suit DPF equipped cars, and the LR architecture seems more problematic than most, the system seems for the most part able to cope. On a Forum like this you will always see more problems than in the wider world, as this is where people come for help, and solace.
Maybe I’m lucky, (but not with coolant leaks) but in all my 6 LRs I’ve never had a problem and my driving routine is not DPF friendly.
My view is if you are having repeated DPF problems get it looked at and question if told it’s a sensor (which it may well be) but my recollection of main dealers is it always the sensor before they actually find the problem on the second or third visit, and bill.
PS DPF cleaners are a waste of money because if it won’t regen there’s a fault. However, eventually, like all of us, they do fail and then it’s piggy bank time.

Post #619600 11th Jan 2022 5:56pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Gents you are all correct methinks.

If it is coming up with a yellow (or RED! Shocked ) then there is an air leak somewhere. After being fine for over a year after purchase, my L322 kept popping up with RP and yellow. It was caused by a hairline crack in the Pax inlet manifold (a recognised fault as the plastic wasn't up to the boost power of the engine). this was replaced at a cost of £1600. everything back to normal but then ........

after a little while it then went doolally and tried to do thousands of regens per hour. It also started diluting the oil (reading was up to 12! the limit is 7)

It was all down to the thermo housing having been damaged (probably when they replaced the manifold). This meant the engine, which runs cool anyway, wasn't able to keep up the temps for a proper regen. This was replaced and since then has been the prefect lady she always was.

Post #619658 12th Jan 2022 12:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1