United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Looks as new Gremlin , well done. overfinch modified

Post #657471 22nd Feb 2023 6:54pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Thanks @Caymanblack Embarassed

Everyone loves a bargain! Very Happy

I’ve done well lately, what with my £50 Osram D3S Nightbreakers too! Very Happy

Fingers crossed this will get her sailing through the MOT in a couple of weeks, there was an advisory last MOT of the flexy brake hoses (slight corrosion) but these were all replaced during my “mega” Brembo 6-pot brake upgrade last Summer. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #657481 22nd Feb 2023 8:50pm
Gremlin500

Well, that was easy! Well under an hour from start to tools put away and celebratory cup of coffee Very Happy

Old one out:

Click image to enlarge

New one in:

Click image to enlarge

I did raise the suspension to off road height to give maximum extension of the telescopic steering column, so then had to stand on a platform to get a better reach down into the engine bay. The most difficult part was not dropping the bolts! Laughing

A cheap fix! Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #657746 25th Feb 2023 4:30pm
Gremlin500

I’m possibly risking a bit of ridicule posting this, but here goes anyway: Embarassed Very Happy

I’ve decided to use THIS as preventive mainenance to keep the rubber in nice flexible condition, (as an ex-caravanner I used to use this regularly on cassette toilet seals to stop them perishing, and it kept them like new for years).
Just takes a bit of Dutch courage to visit a caravan shop Laughing

No need to lecture about the dangers of perished rubbers…..

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #657748 25th Feb 2023 4:42pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Gremlin, the sort of owner you want to buy your Range Rover from. Bow down overfinch modified

Post #657763 25th Feb 2023 5:44pm
Gremlin500

@Caymanblack, thanks for the compliment Embarassed

It’s good to keep on top of things…….

Having cut off the old boot to have a post mortem, I see now why you can’t just change the bellows, even if one was available: The coupling parts inside are max 55mm diameter, and the holes in the ends of the rubber are only both 25mm in a 3mm groove) so they must vulcanize the two halves of the bellows together over the complete assembled joint, I can’t see any other way it could be done. Effectively a “ship in a bottle” situation. Censored
Suppose a 2-part bellows would work, fitted from either end. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #657782 25th Feb 2023 6:47pm
Bora20

Canada 2013 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I inspected mine while replacing the engine mounts last night. My steering boot is ripped too.

Time to see if my extended warranty covers it or if I have to search eBay for a replacement… Dan. 🇨🇦 2013 L405 5.0 SCV8

Post #657882 26th Feb 2023 7:27pm
Gremlin500

@Bora20:

Good luck! Be very careful, nearly all the ones on eBay are already split, I was lucky.
If it helps, the RR Sport has an identical part, used parts dealers /dismantlers are another option.

I have an as yet unproven theory that using “comfort access” all the time contributes to the swift demise of this part, as the angle of the UJ increases as the suspension lowers, and the joint straightens more as the height is increased.
Having dissected the rubber boot, it seems the convoluted parts are very thin (1mm) and not robust enough to cope with the frequent angle changes. My original boot made in 2016 seems to be inferior in quality to the replacement made in 2017.

I therefore reccommend disabling comfort access, (especially if you have deployable sidesteps, it’s not really necessary if you are of anything like normal stature, including females) to reduce wear & tear. This feature also causes wear and tear failures in the steering wheel lift/lower mechanism, as reported by PowerfulUK, so there are two possible reasons not to enable it. Crying or Very sad

Does the RRSport have comfort access as an option? The 2017 used boot above looks brand new. Whistle
EDIT: RR Sport of course has air suspension and comfort access - but being lower, maybe owners don’t use it as much? “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 28th Feb 2023 11:45am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #657928 26th Feb 2023 11:22pm
Bora20

Canada 2013 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Thanks. The search is on tomorrow after I find out if extended warranty will cover it.

I like comfort access. It helps my parents and kids. I can live with buying a new part if that’s what it takes. Dan. 🇨🇦 2013 L405 5.0 SCV8

Post #657931 26th Feb 2023 11:52pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Well done Gremlin. Looks like a simple enough fix 👍 Shame the boot isn't available as a separate part. Maybe over time it may be available as a 2-part assembly. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #658043 28th Feb 2023 8:53am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Bora20 wrote:
Thanks. The search is on tomorrow after I find out if extended warranty will cover it.

I like comfort access. It helps my parents and kids. I can live with buying a new part if that’s what it takes.

i had mine done under our UK extended warranty so i imagine yours should cover the work..

i also doubt whether the access mode , auto or manual would affect this part...i rarely use that mode and the previous owner was a tall chap so he didnt either.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #658055 28th Feb 2023 10:31am
Gremlin500

Warranty is the best option if you have it, £187.67 plus an hours labour say £135 at MD is well over £300 all in Shocked “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #658071 28th Feb 2023 11:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123