Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Replcing 05 Supercharged; Late L322 5.0 or Early L405 5.0??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 
Replcing 05 Supercharged; Late L322 5.0 or Early L405 5.0??

Hi

We have a October 2005 4.2 Supercharged L322 that we have enjoyed for the last 8 or so years.

It only get's occasional use but maybe it's now getting a bit long in the tooth.

It is actually used primarily for mild off roading such as shooting, farm visits and moving a few bigger loads with perhaps the odd longer journey.

It has Cooper Zeon LTZ offroad tyres on it which seem to work well.

We don't do so many miles a year so the thirst of the engine doesn't seem quite so upsetting.

2 years ago we fitted the current L322 with Apple carplay etc following water ingress to the boot which upset the original sound system, so it has the bonus of being quite up to date tech wise.

We've started to look at replacing for a 2011/12 5.0 Supercharged, although I do worry that they are not really that much younger, looks like £20K can get a tidy one with low ish miles say below 70k miles?

Alternatively maybe we should stretch and get a L405, it seems like £35k can get you a 2013 one with 70-80k miles, maybe even with some kind of warranty.

The L405 would be a big step up???

I've taken a long to warm to the L405, it looks absolutely huge and perhaps a little more pretentious... and would fitting off road tyres be a crazy thing to do, a lot of them have 22" rims, I thought the 20" of the current car we have was pretty big for offroad tyres.

And the L322 has it's issues but could be easier to fix out of warranty? less complex?

Finally, what about the worries of the 5.0 Timing chain issues? Would both L322 and L405 have these as a worry? One of the nice things about the 4.2 we currently have is by that stage Jaguar had sorted any timing chain issues as far as I can make out.

Alternatively we spend a few K on tidying up the current 4.2 and keep it even longer......

Thoughts??? Thanks for your help Smile

Post #586509 6th Mar 2021 6:57pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

A nice dilemma to have... I thought the same but needed the run out 322 to finish scratching the itch...!!

IIRC the L405 doesn't suffer with the timing chain issue, it's just the 2010-12 L322

When I looked I didn't think the £15,000 premium was worth it, both cars would be similar age and mileage and the L322 had a better spec than the early L405...!! Well it did in the ones I was looking at...

Love mine, don't regret it, the L405 will be waiting for me.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #586510 6th Mar 2021 7:19pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

The timing chain issue is blown out of proportion in my opinion. And if I’m not mistaken it could affect any 5.0 supercharged. But more likely any noises are due to a worn supercharger coupler well before any of that.

I couldn’t help with 405 vs 322. I bought my 322 5.0 last year for a lowly £12K. That made the decision for me very easy. At the current price point I think it’s harder. And whilst the early 405 is a little big younger it isn’t by that much.

So in my opinion it comes down to how much you prefer a 405, and whether you are willing to pay that extra. But if you can get the 322 cheaper it is still rather nice.

Now if it was between the brand new 405 SvAutobiography Black edition vs the 322 than that is no competition. 🤣

Post #586513 6th Mar 2021 7:41pm
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, looks like I need to find the unicorn 2012 L322.... Nearly all of them seem to be TDV8 and Westminster spec. And not in a chavvy white colour.

The 405 i sort of see as almost a different car again, more a luxury car on stilts than a luxury off roader like the L322. Maybe that's wrong, I think maybe I need to drive a 405 as I never have.

There is also an " ultimate edition" L322 advertised for big money but that doesn't seem to seat 5 in the back thanks to the centre armrest thing......

Some of the feeling is whether the newer L322 is a big enough step on from our Oct 2005 one, but i do love the current one, it's grey and just seems to ooze class compared to some versions and I think the seats are particularly awesome.

Post #586517 6th Mar 2021 8:10pm
Bl4ckD0g

For £20K I will sell you mine 🤣

But it’s black on black on black on black 22”. All as sold in the hawke edition. Just had a this week a supercharger rebuild to get some play out of it. And has a bespoke exhaust system I had build for it with electronic valves to go in either family friendly mode or straight pipes. Comes also with black 20” off-road wheels and tyres Smile

Otherwise if you wait two months it will also have a little bit of tuning to take it up to 650Hp 😜 and a full paint correction and protection done. 🤣

Post #586519 6th Mar 2021 8:17pm
wpo750

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

I was in a very similar predicament for the best part of a year coming from a 2007 4.2 which I felt was lacking in various departments despite having thrown a fair chunk of money at over 2 years of ownership. I was motivated to move onto a 5.0 L322 last year when their values dropped to their lowest point but we were at the beginning of pandemic meltdown and I sat on my hands whilst I window shopped and saw a few ideal examples come and go at the £15k and under mark. Should have gone with impulse with hindsight but then I too was also considering a supercharged 405 at their entry level price point.

Over the course of the year the L322 prices have crept back up to pre lock down figures (minus availability of stock) whilst L405 money is commanding the same. With that insight my sensibility should suggest to for a 405 but that was when I realised I wasn't quite done with the L322 and their recent price adjustment suggests that there is a strong regard for decent L322s, especially in flagship form. Plus my wife prefers the more 'classic' silhouette of these trucks and I'm still in agreement with her.

The way I see it is that there's not a great deal of depreciation to deal with in a late 5.0 and the 405s will inevitably come down and by then I'm hoping that by that point, if not by it's looks and image I'll be convinced by it's price point. I've only recently realised I'll always have to have a Full Fat in my life so it'll be a life long journey.

My only hesitation with pursuing the L322 5.0 challenge was whether I'd feel the value of upgrading but let me assure you it does more than enough to justify the purchase. Leather literally everywhere, deployment, digital dash ,(albeit limited in functionality) surround cameras, it packs a lot of feel good factor in a package that can be secured for not a massive amount of money. It's smile inducing and I think it signs off the L322 with honour.

If you are a fan of the L322 I think you just have to, no?

Merely my two pence worth!

Post #586524 6th Mar 2021 9:03pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
Otherwise if you wait two months it will also have a little bit of tuning to take it up to 650Hp

Apparently the gearbox will only take 750nm before it gives up and I think at 650hp you will be over that, you may have to upgrade it... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #586530 6th Mar 2021 9:16pm
Bl4ckD0g

Fair point. I thought that’s the 8 speed in the diesel whilst the petrol on is a bit more robust.

Post #586532 6th Mar 2021 9:25pm
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

500bhp will be adequate for one of these old busses, although the exhaust cutouts solution sounds like a lot of fun!

The search continues Smile

Do we think that ULEZ is having a big impact on used RR prices at the moment?

Some Diesel ones are no ULEZ Complaint, pre 2016 etc

Part of me has also wondered whether I have dismissed the TDV8 out of hand?

Thing is, it'll never be as exciting, and although the V8 petrol has potential timing chain issues I've always been a bit wary of some modern turbodiesels, EGR Valves, multiple Turbos, Boost leaks, oil level creeping up from the unburnt fuel on re-gen etc etc

I think they work best for long journeys, this car would do mostly short journeys....

Post #586561 7th Mar 2021 10:48am
Bl4ckD0g

ULEZ as you say...The area in London will get bigger, to get a compliant diesel you'd have to get a much newer model. A minimum cost difference of £16K will allow for a lot of miles to be driven Smile And naturally it isn't even that straight forward, as the difference in benefit is only about 10mpg. So for 16K extra, you can drive approximately an extra 2,900 miles, which is approximately an extra cost per mile of £5.50. Figures are rounded following calculation, and don't even take into account that barely anyone would want a diesel, so no depreciation etc. To me and my man maths it just doesn't make any logical sense...

But...once people realise that and the price of a diesel goes through the floor, then it makes perfect sense Mr. Green Laughing

Post #586562 7th Mar 2021 11:03am
urquattrogus

United Kingdom 

I’ve now been temporarily been sidetracked by looking at diesel options too.

There is a 50k miles 2010/11 TDV8 Autobiography in a very nice spec which also has a JE Remap to 375bhp.

Maybe that’s worth a look if bought for sensible money? It’s still a V8 and the top spec... dare I say it better MPG etc

It’s hard to find a supercharged one in anything other than drug dealer black or white.... I’d really like another colour than that.

Also rang up about a L405 but it was not in fully approved warranty as I’d thought...

Then of course there are loads of SDV8 405’s

Decisions decisions!!

Post #586772 9th Mar 2021 12:40pm
V8_Disco

United Kingdom 

The London thing, all depends on your location and what you use a RR for I don’t see it having a huge impact outside of the south east -

The last of the L322 are a fantastic place to be, and the look is more “classic” other than not having car play upgrades easily available you could think it’s a much newer car and they just got more plush as time went on ... I think you would feel it as an upgrade

I am not a diesel head, I still have a number of classic Land Rovers with various forms of the Rover V8 but the 4.4 TDV8 with the 8 speed is a fantastic car and with near 30mpg you know it’s never an issue to “just” take the Full Fat

Only had mine a few months but don’t confuse them with the BMW era diesels it’s worlds apart from that

Post #586798 9th Mar 2021 4:06pm
Bl4ckD0g

LOL it should be a bloody UK, no make that a global thing. It’s a scandal that so far only London takes it serious.

In my opinion Wink

Post #586854 9th Mar 2021 8:14pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

We’ve got a 2012 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography which we’ve had since new and have just bought our 2nd 4.2 SC. We’ve also got the 5.0 engine in an XFR.

The 4.4 TDV8 is a cracking engine, and that 8 speed box that it’s mated to is superb. If you’re driving it sensibly on the motorway you’ll see over 30mpg easily.

The 4.2 SC engine is quieter then the TDV8 and doesn’t have the low frequency rumble off the TDV8. That sounds like a criticism of the TDV8 but it really isn’t. The 4.4 TDV8 is virtually the same performance wise as the 4.2SC but it’s got sooo much torque lower down the revs that it’s a more sedate car to drive, especially if you do any towing.

The 5.0 Engine that’s in the XFR is noisier then the 4.2, the injector noise from it when outside the car is far more noticeable then it is on the 4.2 with it being direct injection. The 5.0 engines do suffer from problems with timing chains but it usually rears it’s ugly head long before it grenades the engine. The coupler on the Supercharger can also be an issue.

If I was buying in a late L322 just now I’d buy a petrol as we’ve already got a diesel, if I wanted one to do everything I’d probably buy a 4.4 TDV8 in as high a spec as possible as the 8 speed box is a work of art. Unfortunately, the 8 speed never appeared mated to the 5.0 in the L322. However, I’d likely always have the 5.0 in something else as well as it is a superb engine.

IMO, if you looked for the best 4.4 or 5.0 Autobiography that matches your requirements, you’ll thoroughly enjoy driving whatever you buy. Smile

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #586860 9th Mar 2021 8:44pm
322BLL

Estonia 

All the good things about L322 are said already, but what about the rust problems? Seems like newer L322 tend to suffer more.
Early L405 are old enough by now to get the idea how much rust affects them. If you buy it to keep it for years, I would only consider L405.
I say this after looking more than few later L322(also looking for replacement). tdv6 or v8 sc it is, also would consider v6 sc(very hard to find one). I don't see the point pay extra for sdv8 since the running costs would be higher than tdv6.
Same 5.0 sc engine in both but 8 speed box in L405 and less weight as well, changes quite a bit.

Over ten years old diesel engine sooner or later wants more attention and £/$/€ and no matter the milage.

Petrol or diesel, chipped/mapped/cutted(dpf, egr)- no way jose Laughing

Post #586905 10th Mar 2021 9:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>