Home > Technical (L405) > Rotary Gear Selector issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GB78

England 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Santorini Black
Rotary Gear Selector issues

Morning all

Over the weekend on a couple of occasions the above mentioned wouldn't allow me to twist it to engage drive. If I switched off the engine and restarted it, it was fine. On one occasion the ever helpful voice of reason sitting on the passenger seat told me that it had happened the week before, and after leaving it for 30 seconds or so it allowed her to twist it.

Any clues?? I have searched for any relevant posts and nothing I can find on the L405. I am bit concerned it will happen and not clear itself leaving her stuck somewhere.

Post #596048 1st Jun 2021 7:47am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Only from D4 experience, have you tried getting a can of compressed air and firing it around the gap between the knob and shroud. I keep my cars very clean, however, I was surprised by the amount of dust that came out of my switch are 18 months.

If you got a fault code reader, might be worth hooking it up to that, it could also be the switch on the brake pedal.

Post #596052 1st Jun 2021 7:52am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the rotary gear selector is used on the later L322's so a forum search might help.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #596066 1st Jun 2021 9:24am
GB78

It is definitely locked in position as opposed to stiff to turn.

Brake pedal switch is something I hadn't considered. I will have look under there later and see if I can spot it and also if anything is obviously untoward. That would make sense if it wasn't registering the brake depressed, is there a known work around if the rotary selector fails? Like a manual override with paddles or something?

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Post #596067 1st Jun 2021 9:28am
GB78

stan wrote:
the rotary gear selector is used on the later L322's so a forum search might help..

Ok thanks, I discounted the search results as they were all L322. I presumed the L405 would be different. Thumbs Up

Post #596068 1st Jun 2021 9:30am
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

It could be a solenoid issue on the mechanical release mechanism? We had this on our D4 and it eventually locked completely. I replaced the unit myself and has never given a problem since Thumbs Up

My FFRR has been suffering the same over the past couple of weeks, two days ago it locked up completely but fortunately I have an extended warranty Wink Currently at the dealer waiting for a new gear selector, amongst other things Big Cry

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #596558 5th Jun 2021 8:45pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

More likely the solenoid than the switch I would think. If it’s working most of the time it might be worth a squirt of something to free it up and get a few more months out of it.

Solenoids are simple, so it will be sticking rather than an electrical problem as if it was electrical it wouldn’t work at all.

Could be the pedal switch, but I would think you would notice other problems such as not starting if it was, as it uses the pedal switch to detect you are pressing the brake and allow it to start.

Does mean a disassembly of the centre console but there are plenty of vids on how to do that on yootoob There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #596594 6th Jun 2021 9:27am
GB78

Aaargh!!! Bloody thing got itself stuck in reverse for the Mrs. It wouldn’t move to any other option. She turned the car off and now it won’t start as still in reverse. AA on the way Big Cry Censored

Post #597731 16th Jun 2021 7:42pm
GB78

Oh and I forgot to mention it is partially blocking the cul de sac as it happened reversing off our drive Rolling Eyes

Post #597733 16th Jun 2021 7:45pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Try selecting high and low range a couple of times and then re try the selector dial.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #597773 17th Jun 2021 7:38am
GB78

So.... After lots of head scratching by the AA bod he eventually figured out that the FF wouldn't move even after the manual neutral release was pulled because he forgot to release the parking brake Rolling with laughter

His diagnostic confirmed the Rotary Selector solenoid is kaput. So I am now trying to sort out getting the FF loaded up and delivered to the garage for a new one to be fitted.

All in all, it could be worse I guess. Worse places to breakdown than outside your own house, even if it gave the curtain twitchers something to do for a couple of hours Embarassed

Post #597820 17th Jun 2021 3:04pm
GB78

So an update.....

The complete unit has to be replaced (Rotary Gear Selector module), there are no serviceable parts on it (apparently). It appears I was lucky as the chap at LR said they have been on back order for a while and only just come in to stock. When I asked if this was a common fault, he didn't confirm or deny just said he wasn't surprised it had happened.

As a heads up from the first time it started playing around to actual death, I would say was approx 2-3 weeks with very light use. You couldn't even use its frequency of being a problem as it was so intermittent to gauge if it was getting near the end. All I will say is if it decided to fail somewhere a lot less convenient then it would be a large pain in the a**e.

Costs wise the part for mine was £680 (Did get told they can be VIN dependent) plus labour. I don't know if they need to plug it in and do any software bits, in case anyone decides to fit it themselves.

Hope the above helps any poor unfortunates that get the same problem a small heads up of what to expect. Thumbs Up

Post #598437 23rd Jun 2021 6:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1