Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Reliable Rangey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Hi Slow progress
As for the TD6 I could understand people wanting more power, after all this version can seem little underpowered at times. I have not driven any other RR versions, so I am not really in a place to comment that way. I am working on another car in my garage with a large V8, so I am quite happy to balance my spending between the other car and my RR. Everyone is biased in some way or other.

To be honest, would I like to be running a V8? part of me says yes, but overall I am happy with mine. Best comment I have had from a friend was during his first passenger ride on mine - this is very nice, it's a lovely place to be, and he was quite impressed with the power from mine on kick down, considering it's the 'little one'

As for the gearbox, the only times I have ever felt as you say that it was 'hunting gears' was when touring very small back roads in the Snowdonia area, with very steep roads and sharp bends, this was easily counteracted by using the sports mode ( Or manual command shift as the hand book calls it ) I usually only use this once every week or so as part of the 'use it. or lose it' testing.

As an aside, went down to my Mum's, battery was completely dead, plugged in my fancy 'Ring Workshop battery charger' zilch, only the charging lamp, nothing else, so not possible to use the 'jump start' function to get it started and into the garage. So pushed it into garage and put her tiny charger on the battery and came home. Opened up my charger started to check things with a meter, before thinking wait a minute lets start with the basics, yes you guessed, plug fuse had gone, nowt wrong with it. Censored Have instructed my Mum not to copy your father with the start stop routine Thumbs Up

Post #598536 23rd Jun 2021 11:52pm
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

Thanks Merchy.

I’ll bear that in mind, I’ll get a few test drives booked in March/April. I suspect I can get a nicer td6 than a TDV8 at the same price point and with the same maintenance costs, so driving style vs condition will be the decider.

Post #598574 24th Jun 2021 11:04am
HS66

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Did a load of bits to my 3.6 TDV8 and it repaid me by crapping its gearbox even though oil had been changed in my ownership and before Big Cry , it has a healthy engine and turbos though so currently it's either scrap it or fix and sell.
I ended up so annoyed with it at the time I did the most sensible thing I could think of, I went out and bought a Landcruiser, having no concerns about impending mechanical doom is quite refreshing!.
Weirdly I still miss the L322 though.

Post #598646 24th Jun 2021 10:49pm
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

How much was it to replace/repair the gearbox?

Post #598671 25th Jun 2021 7:00am
HS66

I’ve been quoted 2000-2500, just don’t know if it’s worth doing on a 4500 ish car.

Post #598673 25th Jun 2021 7:28am
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

I’d check autotrader on prices when fully working, how many miles has it done?

Cheapest TDV8 I’ve seen is about £6.5k and it’s rusty as anything and driver’s seat is badly torn and trim missing.

Post #598686 25th Jun 2021 9:34am
HS66

134 with about 9 services, bit of rust in the NS rear quarter.
A friend is considering putting the TDV8 in his Disco so I’m not sure.

Post #598697 25th Jun 2021 10:55am
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

So is it better to get a TDV8 like the below at the bottom end of the price range and immediately spend £3-4k on replacing turbos, egrs, and transmission flush or getting a better condition td6 with lower mileage for the same outlay?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/2...-option=on

Post #600021 8th Jul 2021 11:07am
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Slow progress…..to be honest, I think you’re over worrying about the ‘perfect’ car for you.
Every single version will have its problems, it’s own glitches and all will require a delve into your wallet at some point. You’re assuming every car you buy will need immediate turbos, gearboxes, egr’s, etc etc that’s not always the case.
Take a piece of paper & put your top figure minus contingency fund then that’ll leave you with a buying figure. Then simply look for the best car at that price knowing that you have a ‘repair’ fund lurking in the background.
Personally I think the 4.4tdv8 is above your budget considering what you’ll find for that amount. Look on YouTube at Sams Range Rover, he bought the ‘cheapest RR around’ he said & he’s constantly spending time & money on her. A really well cared for td 6 would be very affordable along with the reserve fund. You may find the gearbox has no issues, the egr has none either. I ran an 05 X5 td6 for 5 years & had no issues with anything & it towed a twin axle caravan. That was a one owner well serviced car.
It’s also down to what you want the old girl for, towing? Prestige? General running around without the need to jump to 60mph within 5.9 secs?
A really really nice TD6 or a really nice TDV8 3.6 both with history & long ownership will provide you with a good steed. Oh, and if you can, buy one from a member of this site as there are some awfully nice people on here who are very passionate about their pride & joys.☺️☺️
If you want total reliability then may I suggest a Kia or Hyundai? 😜😜😜

Please don’t think I’m being rude with the above, I’ve been there myself, in the end you’re like a kid in a sweet shop not really knowing what you want…..hope this helps. 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #600126 9th Jul 2021 9:10am
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

Thanks Fox, think I needed that😀

Total budget will be £7.5k inc. contingency, so I’m assuming a £5k purchase price and £2.5k contingency which means a decent TD6. It’s going to be my main car, but families 2nd car (wife’s Infiniti FX as the main vehicle). Usage will be mainly motorway and A-road, with occasional forestry tracks. The old Series 3 109” s/w for local green lanes is the 3rd car, but no good for long distances and at 12mpg on a good day it’s a good benchmark for FFRR ownership!😂

Anyway I can always run the TD6 and upgrade later on!

Post #600132 9th Jul 2021 9:42am
MH04

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Why on earth would you spend 5k on a car then spend thousands putting new turbos and EGRs etc on them unless they’d actually failed?.

If total reliability is a big concern for you without meaning it in a bad way at all but perhaps a Range Rover isn’t the car for you?, they’re brilliant cars but I’m sure most people here will freely admit they’re far from perfect when it comes to reliability.

Post #600135 9th Jul 2021 10:32am
Fox889

Your last line is spot on! 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #600136 9th Jul 2021 10:34am
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

On the replacement of the turbos another poster suggested on the previous page, I assumed that if the turbo goes it can damage the engine at the same point? Therefore I guess his suggestion was better to be safe than sorry???

Post #600137 9th Jul 2021 10:49am
Fox889

“Your last line was spot on” referred to slow progress not mh04’s post, sorry for any confusion.😁 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #600138 9th Jul 2021 10:55am
MH04

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

If the turbos are alright then it seems counter productive to change them for the sake of it to me, personally if I were in your boat I’d get a 5k TDV8 and just run it and maintain it.
If something big like the turbos or gearbox goes pop then sell it as spares/repair and get maybe 2k back.
If nothing major fails then it’s done you well and you’ve still got that extra in the bank.
Or if you need total reliability maybe get an Amazon?, although they’re not as nice to drive.

Post #600142 9th Jul 2021 11:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>