Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Passenger airbag light on. Error below, please advise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bingo_123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Passenger airbag light on. Error below, please advise

On my2010 3.6
Passenger airbag light on since last weekend, no changes have been done like moving seats up/down, disabling/enabling the airbag.

It just came on without anything.

Tried battery reset, no help.

Comes on, and stays on after the startup sequence.

IID tool throws following error, tried clearing it but comes back everytime.

B1D75-13 Passenger airbag cut-off enable switch - General electric failure - circuit open

Please advise how to get rid of it.

Thanks

Post #600202 10th Jul 2021 1:23pm
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

The code is for the passenger airbag switch, used to enable/disable the airbag if a rear facing child seat is installed. It will do a check on the airbag system at start up and if it senses an issue with anything in the system it will throw a code.
Try operating the airbag key switch a few times to enable/disable the passenger airbag and then reset the code and see if it comes back. If it's still there or comes back later then remove the switch and try cleaning up the connections (disconnect and reconnect a few times) and check the wiring (doing the usual airbag safety procedures first...disconnect battery etc.).
If that doesn't help then it's switch replacement time.
In general the trouble with the airbag switches is they never get used normally and can sometimes throw a hissy fit due to connection contacts changing in resistance over time.
A bit simplified but each component in the airbag system has a built in resistance and on start up the SRS module will do a resistance check on each component (voltage drop) and if it's not within the expected resistance/voltage range it will throw an open circuit (high resistance) or short circuit (low resistance) code. Due to the precise resistances used it doesn't take much to go outside the acceptable envelope.
Last one I sorted was on a mates MINI which suddenly did the same with the passenger airbag key switch (constant code), some fiddling with the switch and clean up sorted it until they sold it a few years later.
Problems with important safety items like the SRS and ABS will tend to throw 'hard' or 'permanent' codes, i.e. even if you fix the problem the code will not clear itself and need reseting before it clears so make sure to clear the codes with the IID tool, battery resets do not clear 'hard' codes.
Also it goes without saying that proper battery voltage is important, i.e. if a battery is low or in poor condition then it can effect any electrical circuits although typically SRS is more resilient than most for obvious reasons!

Post #600259 11th Jul 2021 9:38am
Bingo_123

Thanks weejock, very helpful and informative post.
Yeah that's right, battery reset dint help and iid tool can't clear it either as it keeps coming back.
I will start with toggling the switch on and off, shall I do it with engine running or not.
Battery is only 2 months old and I did charge it with ctek just to make sure.

Also do I have to disconnect battery when opening the switch for cleaning ?

Thanks once again.

Post #600341 11th Jul 2021 8:25pm
Bingo_123

Ok I have done the following,
Tried toggling the switch few times n then clearing the error. No luck keeps coming back.
Took the side panel out. Found a green connector going to the switch.
Checked the wires, look ok, nothing loose. Pushed it in properly, tried clearing the error.
Still no luck, keep saying the same error.

Shall I order new switch?
Shall I check the voltage in wires going to this switch.
Attaching pic below. What shd be the voltage of these wires if it can somehow help diagnosing the problem.

Thanks , please advise.

Post #600671 14th Jul 2021 8:48pm
Bingo_123

Ok replaced the passenger airbag switch today after buying from duckworths, and the airbag light went off.

Thanks a ton Weejock, for helping out with valuable inputs, really appreciate that.

Post #601257 20th Jul 2021 2:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1