Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Towbar - Westfalia - chassis brackets - 2007 TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Happydaze

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
Towbar - Westfalia - chassis brackets - 2007 TDV8

I'm looking to get a towabr for my new to me 2007 TDV8 Vogue. I'm looking around ebay and reckon the original is the way to go as I don't want a towball in situ all the time.

My car has Westfalia brackets on each rear leg one of which has a towhook. Each of these pretty substantial brackets has a hole (not measured - possiblity about an inch?) with squared notches in. What are these holes for? I'm thinking / hoping that these are for attaching the crossbar of the towbar in which case all the spanner work is pretty much done, but living in hope isn't exactly positive! I've looked at numerous photos and indeed sales of just these brackets (sometimes referred to as towbar brackets, and in the next breath removed when towbar fitted!) but still can't work it out!

Some of me is saying these brackets are some kind of strengthener and / or some kind of fixture locator in the manufacturing process.

I've not found any tell tale signs of there having been a towbar fitted previously.

I've read just about every towbar thread here (and learned lots - thanks!) but haven't found any explanation to my query.

Greatly appreciate any words of wisdom!

Chris

Post #605917 8th Sep 2021 11:42am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

They have to come off. They are not part of a towbar and there is no way to convert them. The holes appear to be purely decorative. They only provide the towing?tie down ring.

You need the complete armature. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #605918 8th Sep 2021 11:48am
Happydaze

Many thanks for clarifing that!
Cheers
Chris

Post #606006 9th Sep 2021 8:24am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Good luck in your search, rumour has it that there is either a production issue or they have stopped producing the Westfalia bars.

Second hand may be the way to go if you can source a good one. There are two versions depending on the year of your car, but as an 07 then you will need the one for the later models. All the detachable parts are interchangeable, the only difference is the exhaust hangers. Just something to be aware of while you look. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #606065 10th Sep 2021 7:23am
kooky_guy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The early ones can be used on the later ones - you just need to cut the exhaust hangers off the existing brackets that you remove anyway. These can then be bolted on as part of the armature installation.

I did hear that the Westfalia towbar has been discontinued for the L322 which is why 2nd hand prices seem to have suddenly skyrocketed. 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #606075 10th Sep 2021 10:42am
The Swede

Switzerland 

Also fitted a Westfalia to my 2008 3.6TDV8. Was a straight bolt on, to be honest.

Post #606818 19th Sep 2021 5:44pm
Evo290

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Try CWS 4x4 at Glastonbury. I got one a few months back for my 07 Vogue SE. They supplied electrics pack as-well. Good price, cheaper than certain auction sites.

Post #606841 19th Sep 2021 11:20pm
Happydaze

Many thanks to all!

The job is now all done! As has been mentioned the exhaust hanger brackets (essentially a piece of flatbar bent 90 degrees with 2 holes drilled) were easily harvested off the original bracketry and simply bolted through with the existing fixing. I could have welded them but I didn't really see the point - I think they were welded originally in order to eliminate the possibility of the bracket rotating when originally being fitted in the factory, where speed is of the essence. I carefully tightened them up and there was no noticeable rotation, so all is good.

Electrics all sorted to and working properly, proper plug and play, and seemingly no car programming necessary, which is a relief!

Now going to get some rubber / plastic plugs / caps of some sort to keep the muck out and lube in the receiver part as the towbar will be detached when not required, which is most of the time.

Chris

Post #607106 23rd Sep 2021 10:18am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

There is a LR part to bung the square hole up when not in use. I did have one but I’m not sure if it got chucked when I moved There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #607243 24th Sep 2021 6:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1