Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
BOBCUSSEN

France 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
electrics not shutting down

hi folks

i have an issue which is flattening the battery over night;

normally when i switch off i hear what sounds like a fan running in the background for several minutes then it stops which i assure is normal as its always done it !!

but the last 5 mornings ive gone out to start the car, and ive heard the fan noise ( sounds like ), still running and is run the battery down on 3 occasions

any idea what it is and can i pull a fuse or something until i get it check out ?

bob

Post #574619 30th Nov 2020 12:55pm
Joe90

England 

FSR - Final Stage Resistor (hedgehog) ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #574623 30th Nov 2020 1:17pm
BOBCUSSEN

hi joe,*

are you suggesting it is the FSR? if so , where is it , and is it easy to replace,,??

bob Bow down

Post #574654 30th Nov 2020 6:42pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

It’s in the WIKI, top right of forum toolbar; https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic781.h...eplacement

Post #574679 30th Nov 2020 8:54pm
BOBCUSSEN

ok i will take a look, thanks.

i have looked on youtube but on all the vids i looked at, the heater didnt work as a result of the FSR failure but mine is fine !!, so i assume that does not rule it out ?

Post #574683 30th Nov 2020 9:22pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

According to this article, nope, if you're having the symptom of the fan staying on after the cars locked it seems a likely culprit.

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?opti...;Itemid=73

You could pull the fuse to see if it stops it before buying the new part and dismantling the dash, perhaps?

Post #574749 1st Dec 2020 12:48pm
BOBCUSSEN

hi there, well im not able to get down and the work as my joints wont allow so i need to arrange a garage to look at it, in the meantime i wil try the fuse, would it be the main blower heater fuse ,?

bob

Post #574773 1st Dec 2020 4:40pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Try fuse 34.
If no luck try fuse 12. Thumbs Up

Post #574803 1st Dec 2020 9:43pm
BOBCUSSEN

ok i try them

thanks

bob

Post #574809 1st Dec 2020 10:25pm
Siftah

So... obviously there's loads of different reasons for the battery going flat, but I've just done a battery reset on mine and I think it maybe solved my problem.

The symptoms:
After locking the car, the hazard warning light would remain lit and there was an audible whirring behind the dash (behind the heating control panel) which continued indefinitely.

Literally indefinitely, the light would stay lit and the whirring would never stop, I sat in the car for 20+ minutes this afternoon to check.

What I did:
I did the battery reset procedure, left the car unlocked but closed all doors and un-locked the bonnet. Waited 10 mins or so (went for a cuppa tea), opened bonnet, disconnected negative lead. Waited 10 minutes, disconnected positive terminal.

Watched some CarThrottle on YouTube to while away 10 minutes (https://www.youtube.com/c/CarThrottle)

Connected the battery cables together with a jump lead - left it 10 or 20 seconds. Disconnected.

Then reconnected positive terminal, dropped socket down side of engine, spent 20 minutes fishing it out with a magnet, then reconnected negative terminal.

What *may* be important and what I've been bad at in the past is when reconnecting the negative terminal I did it in one swift motion - eg: put the terminal on and held it firm whilst I did up the nut to secure. I have a suspicion maybe in the past I'm a bit bad at this and cause the power to be cycled off/on/off/on a few times before I get it secure - not sure, just a hunch. This probably plays havoc with the various ECU's as they start to boot and then get no power etc.

The Result...
After hopping into the back seat of the car and locking it, I sat and waited. After a couple of minutes the whirring behind the dash stopped. Hazard warning light went out, couple of minutes later another (quieter) noise behind the dash also disappeared and the car became extremely quiet.

So I think I may have fixed it - but I've stuck the battery back on to top up and will do a full test tomorrow.

Post #574982 3rd Dec 2020 6:38pm
Siftah

And I should clarify, whatever the noise is inside the dash it doesn't sound like the blower fan, it's more likely, I think, to be a fan for cooling the AV system or something. I think I've read elsewhere on here that such a thing exists - though I'm struggling to find the thread again!

It sounds like a fan, but a smaller fan. It's central in the dash rather than behind the steering wheel (there's a fan noise that comes from behind the steering wheel too sometimes).

I'm fairly certain, therefore, it's not related to the FSR in my car, at least.

Post #574986 3rd Dec 2020 6:42pm
Siftah

Spoke too soon, just been back out to check the car and the hazard warning light is illuminated again and the backlight on the instrument cluster is back on (no picture, but you can see it's faintly lit).

Back to how it was before the reset, Sad

Post #574997 3rd Dec 2020 7:20pm
BOBCUSSEN

hi there

yes its the same noise im getting, its faint but does sound like a small fan ? it normally stops afterr a time but not now, and bat flat in morning !!!, its been suggested that the final stage resistor is the cause but i dont have the common symptoms that is i think the norm which is heater not working ?

does anyone know what is causing the run on sound ? which does sound like its behind the dash on the passenger side !! ive tried pulling fuse 34 and 12 but doesent stop it

bob

Post #575279 6th Dec 2020 8:08pm
Siftah

Are you also seeing the hazard warning light backlit and the screens backlight also on?

It’s very faint, you can only see it in the dark with no or very little streetlights...

Post #575284 6th Dec 2020 8:32pm
BOBCUSSEN

no , nothing else is showing just the whiring noise. i did notice a couple of times that it changes pitch and uns slower with a sort of pulsing effect !!

i assume what ever it is , its the same thing that momontary starts up when you unlock the door and open it ?

Post #575285 6th Dec 2020 8:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>