Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Retro fitting Paddle Shift to early L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 14 <123 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

Rob2529 wrote:
ow many wires do you need to get through the wheel?

2 wires, i took the rotary coupler (slip ring) to pieces today and if you have a heated steering wheel fitted then you wont have any spare connectors on the ring so the only real way i have found to connect the paddles to the gearbox is using a wireless connection which is what i am going to use - i went and bought a 2 channel RF remote control system, i am going to solder the paddles to the remote and connect the receiver to the gearbox

Matt

Post #66526 31st May 2011 9:14pm
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

matt your a legand ...keep up the good work Thumbs Up "RANGEISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
www.futuresecurityservices.co.uk
Pretlove says , '' I want my car back Sad "

Post #66528 31st May 2011 9:18pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Couldnt you make a slip ring? I thought about scailetric contacts and some rear heated screen paint? Very crude but could work.

Post #66550 31st May 2011 10:20pm
mattstevenson2005

well i have just finished soldering the paddle shifts to the RF remote and it WORKS perfectly!!! will wire and fit the paddles to the wheel tomorrow, will take some pics and a video.

Matt

Post #66558 1st Jun 2011 12:23am
stonosam

Australia 

Has anyone retrofitted paddles to a MY10? Is the process a lot easier than pre MY10/11?

Post #66564 1st Jun 2011 8:45am
mattstevenson2005

stonosam wrote:
Has anyone retrofitted paddles to a MY10? Is the process a lot easier than pre MY10/11?

yes someone one here has fitted paddles to a MY10 its just a case of plugging in the paddles into the steering wheel switches (i take you have a 5.0L petrol?)

Matt

Post #66582 1st Jun 2011 11:16am
BigJ

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Top mod Smile Used to have:
2005 FFRR 4.4 Vogue - BRC LPG Conversion & Remapped

Now have:
2008 SSRR 3.6 TDV8 - HSE and plenty of toys

Post #66584 1st Jun 2011 11:27am
stonosam

Australia 

Yes I have a 5L autobiography supercharged version. I thought it was more complicated then just a simple plug and play as my dealer said they could not do it.

Post #66600 1st Jun 2011 1:55pm
wiggs

You would also need it enabling in the CCF file ...which dealers cant do unfortunatly

Post #66602 1st Jun 2011 2:48pm
Baben

South Africa 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Stonosam I did the paddles on my 2010 - it is true what wiggs says - they are a plug-in, but you have to be able to edit the CCF to enable them. Works like a charm tho

Post #66604 1st Jun 2011 4:11pm
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

Baben wrote:
Stonosam I did the paddles on my 2010 - it is true what wiggs says - they are a plug-in, but you have to be able to edit the CCF to enable them. Works like a charm tho

So I was thinking about this for my 2010MY but until I can justify, if ever, purchasing a Faultmate-MSV to edit the CCF this may be one mod that slips away Big Cry

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #66622 1st Jun 2011 5:51pm
Baben

South Africa 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Not necessarily - give Pete Bell a call, or convince Wiggs to buy a multi-FFRR license for his Faultmate

Post #66625 1st Jun 2011 5:56pm
mattstevenson2005

well the project is finished i have managed to fit the paddle shift system using a 2 channel RF remote control unit from maplin's http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-channel-rf-remote-control-module-265472 the unit works really well only small downside with using wireless is that there is a very small delay in pressing the button and the relay on the receiver actually making the circuit (its only very small a few milliseconds, but not as fast as it would be if it was hardwired) after loads of research and connection finding with my trusted multimeter i found that if you have have the heated steering wheel there is no way of getting more wires through the slip ring/rotary coupler as all the connections are taken. I did think about running wires straight into the steering wheel but after a few tests it came apparent that this was not only a pain because the wires kept getting tangled but it was a real safety hazard so i finally decided that i would use a RF wireless connection between the paddles and the gearbox.

Connecting the paddles to the transmitter was quite easy albeit it a bit fidderley as the components on the transmitter are SO small!! i removed the original transmitter buttons and replaced them by directly soldering the paddle shift connections each paddle shift connection requires a connection to ground so i spliced into the main paddle shift ground to give each connection a connection to ground, this works really well and reduces the amount of wring that is needed.

When i came to fit the receiver the one thing i noticed is that there is hardly any ignition power connections around the gear selector so i had to completely remove my centre console, suspension panel, heater control panel and centre air vent to find a source of ignition power, luckily i have a parrot bluetooth phone system and this uses a ignition feed so i located a power source behind the centre air vent.

After connecting the receiver to the power source and gearbox wiring loom i then started to fit the actual paddles to the wheel, this was a PAIN IN THE ARSE!!! there is so little room behind the steering wheel it is untrue!!!! fitting the physical paddles was a doddle but finding and locating a place for the small transmitter was a ball ache!!! eventually after many attempts i found that it just fit behind the right hand steering wheel button panel and i mean it was a tight fit!!! i actually broke the transmitter at one stage and had to remove it and remove and re solder the little signal LED back on the circuit board (i was cursing to high heaven at this stage lol!!) but eventually it fitted correctly.

During all this i actually forgot to take a picture of the install but i have recored a short video of the paddle shift system working in action as i drive down the road, its only a short video because it was actually surprising hard to drive, try to change gear using the paddles and hold the camera all at the same time lol!

If any one wants any help with fitting this to your own car please feel free to PM me or email me and i will be happy to help

Matt

Post #66680 2nd Jun 2011 12:21am
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Thumbs Up Looks good Matt. HOw much did it cost for the whole thing? You should start a service supplying the components ready soldered etc.

Post #66681 2nd Jun 2011 12:55am
mattstevenson2005

Rob2529 wrote:
Thumbs Up Looks good Matt. HOw much did it cost for the whole thing? You should start a service supplying the components ready soldered etc.

Paddles were £75, RF wireless system was £30, few bits of wire £5 = Total for project £110 + loads of time

Matt

Post #66682 2nd Jun 2011 1:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 14 <123 ... 121314>