Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Happy New GEAR!! Is it a healthy year for my gearbox?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Rangie4fun

Austria 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black
Happy New GEAR!! Is it a healthy year for my gearbox?

A happy New Year to all of you!! And perhaps a happy New GEAR for me??

October 2020 I flushed the gearbox after 65000 KM and 5 years (used an aftermarket filter Vaico and genuine Texaco). Last winter when it was very cold in the morning (-15 to -20 C) I had no drive after start (either D or R) until warmed up to 0 C). I checked ATF level and seemed okay. Since I didn't drive the car much and didn't got any time to dive into it, the next winter was here again Very Happy and yes, the same problems again (some weeks ago even 10 minutes idle before able to move Shocked This last year I also experienced a very light fluctuation in revs (50-100) when doing around 70 KM/H and also my MPG seemd to decline a bit. So really time for some action!

Rolling Eyes checked line pressure withe a gauge: 50 PSI at idle in P and N, 140 PSI at 1000RPM in R (brakes applied), 120 PSI at 1000 RPM in D (brakes applied) and revving up in P and N to 1500 to 2000 RPM resulted in 60-70 PSI. Was a bit disappointed with the 50 PSI as it is like the minimum... Are these figures okay or do I need to worry about it? Question
Rolling Eyes I let off the ATF and took off the valve body. Checked all the solenoids and they where all okay according to the tolerances provided by RRPhil in another thread Thumbs Up Then I checked all the accumulators. Really confused about what I found out. In a GM 5L40E repair manual it is stated that all four springs should be the same. I found three different sizes with mine Shocked Then finding another document that says that all 4 accumulators have a different set-up for different cars?? What is correct?....Can anyone tell me what it really should be for the RR 3.0 Td6, Hopefully with exact spring lengths Question Bow down
Rolling Eyes Installed valve body and a new genuine BMW IBS Filtran filter (thanks for the partnumber RRPhil and thanks BMWE39 Doug for the guidance in that direction Thumbs Up ).
Rolling Eyes This morning at -7 C ATF temp (IID Tool) it drove right away after start. Glad of course, but how...? Filter? Topped up better than before? Better viscosity of the Dexron IV? I don't know but hope it stays that way when temperatures go down further. Also will have a close eye on rev fluctuation and MPG's since the TC has done a good 80000 KM now.

Question What do you think of the line pressure?
Question Does anyone have a real definitive advice on the accumulator springs?

Any help much appreciated! Bow down Bow down

Post #618266 1st Jan 2022 10:31am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Happy New Year!

Although Dexron VI has a lower viscosity than Dexron III when new, its shear stability is much better so the viscosity change over its lifetime will be much less.

So, although putting a lower viscosity fluid into an old, worn transmission may sound like a bad idea, its viscosity is likely to be higher than the old sheared-down Dexron III that comes out.

The only reference I have seen regarding the various design specifications of accumulator springs is this ATSG one : https://atsgmembers.com/memarea/bulletins/...rltype=pdf

Phil

Post #618280 1st Jan 2022 1:41pm
Rangie4fun

Thanks Phil for sharing your wisdom regarding the ATF. Learned now that i did something right for the wrong reason Whistle Rolling with laughter

The document you are referring to is exact the same that made me confused after reading this one:
https://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/5L40E.pdf
which says that they should all be the same (see page 102)... Shocked

Do you know of anyone who could shine a light on this? Or are my line pressure readings okay so that I don't have to worry about the accumulator springs and leave the valve body as is when changing the TC in near future?

Joep

Post #618294 1st Jan 2022 3:36pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I’m not sure if it might be worth trying the BMW forums in the search of more information, as the same transmission (BMW call it the A5S360R/A5S390R) was used in E53 (X5), E83 (X3), E46 (3-series) & E39 (5-series).

Just to add a couple of (hopefully constructive) comments:

1) Line pressure alone isn’t a particularly good indicator of how worn the valve blocks are because the pressure regulator valve is located in the oil pump cover rather than the main valve body assembly. Sonnax produce 9 replacement valves for the 5L40-E, to give some idea of how widely spread the wear problem is

2) Measuring winding resistance is only a partial indicator of how well each of the solenoids are functioning. For the full picture, you need to measure their pressure vs current characteristics

I always get my rebuilt valve body assemblies tested on a Hydra-Test machine which checks each of the valve characteristics as well as those of each of the solenoids.

I use this place in the UK to check mine: www.valvebodyuk.co.uk . Do you have somewhere equivalent in Austria?

Phil

Post #618489 2nd Jan 2022 8:31pm
Rangie4fun

Thnak you again Phil Bow down

I knew the valve bodies wear out, but wasn't aware of the pressure regulator valve is in the pump cover. as I understand correct the valve body can be tested by taking it out of the transmission (in situ) and bring it to a hydra test facility (interesting video you sent Thumbs Up ). But the valves in the pump cover can only be tested when the transmission is being dismatled out of the car? That leaves me thinking that it is better to have the thing do it's job until really broken (don't fix it if it ain't broken...). Gladly the car took up drive directly early this morning (-8 C). When later this week it gets to -15 C and it still takes up drive directly, then this problem seem to have been fixed with new filter and Dexron VI (and probably better topping up... Rolling Eyes ).
Driving today also the revs seem to be stable: I keep alert on that thing for the upcoming weeks.

BTW my gearbox has been reconditioned some six years ago with a reconditioned valve body by VMR in the Netherlands (lived there at that time). Uncertain about the valves in the pump cover...Planning to contact them.
Also thanks for directing me to the other forums for extra information. Going to have a look over there.

I'll keep yoy posted on how the transmission behaves in the coming weeks.

Post #618577 3rd Jan 2022 4:12pm
madcima

Italy 2006 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

hi, I can tell you with certainty, that the springs of the accumulators, for l322 are not the same they are of different sizes, also specifies it on the sonnax website, I am updating the valve group with sonnax, and I must say that the new pistons operated by the soleinoids , they are made really well, when the gearbox is about to yield, you realize, in part at the minimum that there is something crawling, such as finished brake pads.

Post #618640 4th Jan 2022 9:20am
Rangie4fun

Hello Madcima, thanks for your clear statement that these accumulator springs should be of different sizes. That should mean that for my valve body it all could be as it should be. I couldn't find anything of documentation or website info on this. You say it is on the Sonnax website but I am not able to find it. Do you have a link to this info?
You say you are having your valve body rebuilded. Is it in Italy? Where is it? I live right near the Italian border.

Joep

Post #618645 4th Jan 2022 9:42am
madcima

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/295-...tification here is the link, i'm in emilia romagna

Post #618650 4th Jan 2022 10:40am
Rangie4fun

Thanks madcima! Bow down

As I read this, it says that the springs and accumulators differ from the onse in the BMW, but not clear if they differ from each other in the RR valve body. I think I'm going to send them an email and ask about it.
Bringing the valve body to some shop near you seems far away in emilia romagna Shocked

Joep

Post #618672 4th Jan 2022 1:27pm
madcima

wait, I fixed it on my own, I am not a repair shop! I can tell you that the springs are of two types of length, 2 long and 2 short at least in mine it was like this, instead the repair manual says that they are all 4 the same.
if you want some advice take a regenerated sonnax valve body, then change them, only the inner plate which is specific for range rover code 376

Post #618673 4th Jan 2022 1:34pm
Rangie4fun

O wow, that's high tech! Well done Bow down
I was stupid not to check for the plate code Big Cry Have to do that on the next ATF change in the next weeks.
The springs in mine where as follows:
direct clutch accum: 65,5 mm
OD clutch accum: 60,5 mm
Intermediate clutch: 65,5 mm
2nd clutch: 59,4 mm

I just emailed Sonnax to ask if they are correct. If I have an answer I will post again.

Post #618675 4th Jan 2022 1:46pm
madcima

I would like to post photos but it won't let me do it

Post #618676 4th Jan 2022 1:49pm
Rangie4fun

first hit button "choose Photos" just on the left side under the text box. After that you can click on the "upload" button on the right side. After that you have to click on the uploaded photo to insert into your text box. That way it should do it.

Post #618682 4th Jan 2022 2:50pm
madcima

[img]

[/img]

Post #618686 4th Jan 2022 3:16pm
madcima

Click image to enlarge

I had also taken a basic kit of which I am attaching the photos, but I chose a more definitive solution with sonnax

Post #618687 4th Jan 2022 3:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>