Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Any iPhone Bluetooth experts here please???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Any iPhone Bluetooth experts here please???

I have recently fitted a Wireless Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Interface For 2013-2016 Land Rover Range Rover L405 And Range Rover Sport L494

The issue is this, you connect the CarPlay interface via a 3mm Aux lead to the L405's Aux input in the armrest. Firstly your audio quality is lesser than running Bluetooth... The second issue will be the telephone, which connects via Bluetooth to the CarPlay system. That means your phone calls won't be answered in the usual way when driving! And finally, connecting via Aux won't allow you to use the FF RW buttons on your steering wheel...

Now, if you change your Bluetooth connection found in the Spotify page from CarPlay to Range Rover this fixes all the problems above...

Now I just need an expert to tell me how an iPhone's Bluetooth connection can be changed to automatically attach to the Range Rover over and above the CarPlay connection? Does anyone know, please?

Just to add, this interface uses wireless CarPlay… So you get in the car and if left on original settings, it finds your phone and your car and pipes music through the Aux lead and all is well! Apart from “the poorer music quality, lack of FF RR buttons and Bluetooth phone calls” however!!! If you get in the car and wait for everything to startup, play music through Bluetooth connection with the Range Rover NOT CarPlay kit! Allow the CarPlay & Range Rover to boot up, THEN, open the Spotify app on the phone and where the iPhone icon is, press it and change the Bluetooth from CarPlay to Craig’s Range Rover. This then Thumbs Up allows all the things above to perform perfectly. So, you get far superior music quality, phone calls through the cars Bluetooth system, use of FF FR buttons on the steering wheel to skip <> tracks AND MOST IMPORTANTLY…. Wireless CarPlay via pressing the Nav button…

So to recap my question! Can the changing Bluetooth from CapPlay to Craig’s Range Rover (priority? Is that the right term) please oh wise ones? Bow down

Last edited by Cam-Tech-Craig on 5th Jan 2022 11:42am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #618774 5th Jan 2022 12:50am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Forget the wifi connection for Apple CarPlay, that will stop Apple CarPlay activating wirelessly.

PS. That sound one strange Apple CarPlay unit, that misses the whole point...

Post #618790 5th Jan 2022 7:03am
Ffrr-lover

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

While I have no experience of these CarPlay devices, I have spend some time investigating following interesting posts by fellow members.

My issue with these devices is exactly as you state with the lack of steering wheel controls… and I hadn’t yet considered how calls are answered!

As these devices are android based, my theory is that you should be able to connect them to the car via a USB cable and then use that interface link with the car to support those controls. In the same way an android phone would connect.

The issue there is that you only get one usb connection on these devices so preventing you from connecting your phone as well (or a wireless dongle). My theory is that you *should* be able to buy a usb hub to allow these multiple connections.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081VBHCCW/ref...6BYHYGFJ0K

Not necessarily that one (it was the first hit) as you can get ones with longer leads which may be more suitable.

It is all theory so may not be the fix we are after, but maybe worth trying? Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2014 Audi Q7 3.0d (good riddance)
2010 L322 Autobiography 5.0 Supercharged
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2014 Jaguar XF-RS 5.0 supercharged
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic59478.html

Post #618794 5th Jan 2022 8:32am
Ffrr-lover

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Re: Any iPhone Bluetooth experts here please???

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
The second issue will be the telephone, which connects via Bluetooth to the CarPlay system. That means your phone calls won't be answered in the usual way when driving!

I have been thinking about this whilst in the shower (rock n roll I know!) and what sticking for me is that I didn’t think CarPlay used Bluetooth? It uses either wired, or it’s own wireless connection? This should mean that the android device is free to connect to the car via Bluetooth?

If you turn off Bluetooth on the phone, can you still connect to the CarPlay unit? Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2014 Audi Q7 3.0d (good riddance)
2010 L322 Autobiography 5.0 Supercharged
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2014 Jaguar XF-RS 5.0 supercharged
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic59478.html

Post #618798 5th Jan 2022 9:02am
Bl4ckD0g

If it’s using proper apple CarPlay protocols it utilises Bluetooth LE to establish “awareness” and then follows up with a direct WiFi connection for the wireless interaction.

As an alternative to using steering wheel controls one could use Siri to change songs.

Or in my opinion just get a different solution, alternatively one may as well just use the phone in a holder and have an even better experience with fewer devices involved.

Post #618800 5th Jan 2022 9:24am
Cam-Tech-Craig

I will add this to the original post too… Thumbs Up

Just to add, this interface uses wireless CarPlay… So you get in the car and if left on original settings, it finds your phone and your car and pipes music through the Aux lead and all is well! Apart from “the poorer music quality, lack of FF RR buttons and Bluetooth phone calls” however!!! If you get in the car and wait for everything to startup, play music through Bluetooth connection with the Range Rover NOT CarPlay kit! Allow the CarPlay & Range Rover to boot up, THEN, open the Spotify app on the phone and where the iPhone icon is, press it and it will say devices available? change the Bluetooth priority? from CarPlay to Craig’s Range Rover. This then allows all the things above to perform perfectly. So, you get far superior music quality, phone calls through the cars Bluetooth system, use of FF FR buttons on the steering wheel to skip <> tracks AND MOST IMPORTANTLY…. Wireless CarPlay via pressing the Nav button…

So to recap my question! Can the changing Bluetooth from CapPlay to Craig’s Range Rover (priority? Is that the right term) please oh wise ones? Bow down

Last edited by Cam-Tech-Craig on 5th Jan 2022 12:00pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #618819 5th Jan 2022 11:44am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

under bluetooth settings the top item gets priority so if you want 'craigs phone' to be connected before carplay then make sure its the first ..

this is from memory so if its not the solution then sorry.. . ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #618824 5th Jan 2022 11:58am
Cam-Tech-Craig

The first where please Stan?

Post #618825 5th Jan 2022 12:01pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

in the BT list.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #618826 5th Jan 2022 12:02pm
Bl4ckD0g

Wireless CarPlay uses a combination or Bluetooth and WiFi. There is no way around that except for going corded with a lightning cable.

It’s not so clear cut that the analogue connection is worse. It all depends on which DAC is used where. The naviplus CarPlay version is actually really good, as is the one in an iPhone.

Post #618827 5th Jan 2022 12:03pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Just been having a mooch around on line and it would appear it could be called ‘Spotify connect’ ? But now I need to workout if it’s possible to make the car connect automatically before the CarPlay?

Post #618828 5th Jan 2022 12:03pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

stan wrote:
in the BT list..

It is above it alphabetically on the list Stan, but the CapPlay still takes priority over the car…

Post #618829 5th Jan 2022 12:06pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

What is DAC please Blackdog?

Post #618830 5th Jan 2022 12:07pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

ah ok..

i bet you're not the first with this question so i reckon its a 3 hour stint on google trying to find the answer.. Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #618831 5th Jan 2022 12:09pm
Bl4ckD0g

Sorry a DAC is a digital to analog converter. It always happens somewhere along the path for sound to be broadcast by a speaker. As such whilst keeping it digital is generally a good thing, it is still important to understand where the conversion occurs and which part is actually the best for that.

In my car with the Harmon Kardon I think the naviplus does a better job about equal to the iPhone direct via the iPod connector. But if you have the proper meridian upgraded system that may do indeed a better job.

Sadly it’s not that easy to say that digital is always better than phono.

I must admit I’m very confused now as to how you are trying to connect what. But either way If you want wireless CarPlay then it needs both Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity.

Post #618840 5th Jan 2022 1:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>