Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 Transmission Servive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Col-in-spain

Spain 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Aintree Green
L405 Transmission Servive

Please can someone kindly explain this ?
I have recently purchased a transmission service kit for my L405 3.0 v6 diesel from ZF transmissions, it came with full instructions that I followed to the letter, new filter, filler plug sump bolts and 7 litres of oil.
I drained the old oil, approximately 4.5 litres came out and then replaced the oil pan and filter. I then refilled the transmission with 2 litres of lifeguard fluid 8 until it ran out of the filler hole, I then waited until the oil temperature was 43 degrees c before following the ZF instructions. Starting the engine running it at 2000 rpm for 30 seconds, selecting P, N, R. D, then manually selecting D1, D2 etc. I then topped up the transmission while it was still under 50 degrees c.

I only managed to get another litre of fluid into the box before it was overflowing, a total of 3 litres, now I believe the system holds a total of 8.1 litres, only 4.5 came out and I could only get 3 litres back in to the transmission, please can someone explain what is going on and am I safe to run the car?

Post #666047 6th Jun 2023 8:55pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Quote:
..... 2000 rpm for 30 seconds, selecting P, N, R. D, then manually selecting D1, D2 etc. I then topped up the transmission while it was still under 50 degrees c.

Just to be clear, the engine remained running at the time when you did last top part in bold ? ( cause it needs to be kept running when you re-top it back up after cycling through the different gears )

If so, then that does read like you have followed the correct refill procedure. There would be no harm in getting it back upto to 40degC, and trying to top it up again. It might take some more. V8 or else ...

Post #666059 7th Jun 2023 12:27am
Col-in-spain

Thanks for your reply, no I didn’t keep it running during the last fill, whoops!! I’ll give it another go while it’s running and at the correct temperature.

Post #666071 7th Jun 2023 10:06am
Bora20

Canada 2013 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

You can only get 4-5 litres replaced using the method you described. This is the standard service.

You can have a power flush completed that replaces nearly all the fluid. Dan. 🇨🇦 2013 L405 5.0 SCV8

Post #666115 7th Jun 2023 3:27pm
Col-in-spain

Thanks for the information, I feel a little better knowing this is normal.

Post #666120 7th Jun 2023 6:15pm
baz000000

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

When I did my transmission oil change last year I got 4.5l out and added 4.6l back in. My kit came with 8l of ZF branded oil so I figured that I could buy another 2l and miss the sump/filter change and just do a second oil change at some point. That way it'll get to 75% changed oil which is better than 50% changed oil.

Unless you drain/flush the oil cooler and the lines running to and from the cooler you'll never get anywhere close to a 100% change out.

Post #666160 8th Jun 2023 11:33am
Col-in-spain

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did the final fill this morning. The temperature from cold was sat at 26 degrees c, I waited until 30c and went through the procedure again, this time I left the engine running and managed to get a further 1.5 litres in to the transmission, a total of 4.5 litres. Thanks to your help I’m happy that everything is ok but I will do another oil change in the near future.

Post #666166 8th Jun 2023 11:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1