Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Slight clonk from drivetrain on downshift - normal ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
lambo911

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black
Slight clonk from drivetrain on downshift - normal ?

Hi All,

I collected my new car today and I am really happy with it. So easy to drive and full of very useful toys Very Happy

But I did have a newbie question hopefully someone can help with.

On the motorway cruising at 80 it is really smooth and using about 1500, when you want a bit of acceleration it will quickly drop a gear and the revs rise to about 2000. When it drops a gear there is a bit of a clunk, not much but noticeable. Is that normal as it is quite annoying?

If you get it to kick down properly it changes down smoothly with no noticeable clunk.

I am not sure if it related but I also had a bit of a drag race away from the lights against a RR Sport and there is quite a delay between gear changes I would expect it to be near seamless like our BMW 3 series. Oh yes I won the drag race Razz

Cheers
Richard 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #626027 12th Mar 2022 6:15pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Nice car Richard. A clunk on kickdown isn't normal. How many miles is on it and do you know if the gearbox fluid has ever been changed? Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #626029 12th Mar 2022 6:27pm
lambo911

Its done 76k miles. Full LR history and still has an LR approved warranty.

I only have the LR service print out so I am not sure if the transmission oil has been changed 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #626030 12th Mar 2022 6:34pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The OEM (ZF) recommend the fluid is changed every 80k to 120k kilometers (every 50k to 75k miles) OR 8 years, whichever is sooner.

I would say that as you have just bought it, return it to the dealer and tell them about the issue. It is their problem to resolve under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015. They may choose to replace the gearbox fluid in the first instance.

Alternatively, it's easy enough to change yourself if you don't want to go down that road. See my thread here, about half way down:
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic57338.html Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #626033 12th Mar 2022 6:46pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Very nice looking car Richard, I do like them in black Cool

Any clunk on gear change isn't normal so, with the benefit of the warranty, I would take it back to the LR dealer. Do this asap as that will give you the maximum consumer law protection (hopefully you won't need it) and let them sort it out for you.

If it's done 76k then I'd have expected the selling dealer to have checked and made sure all the required services, fluid changes etc had been done before they sold it on.

There's a service schedule in the wiki so have a read and then at least the dealer can't fob you off about when items are due or should have been done. I don't know which dealer you bought from but some are not as good as others and some will try and tell you "oh, they all do that Sir!" Shocked

Good luck Very Happy 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #626035 12th Mar 2022 7:11pm
Landphil

United Kingdom 

I’m pretty sure that gearbox fluid changes are not in the service schedule as LR say the gearbox is sealed for life, but they don’t define life.
ZF recommend it’s changed every 50k miles. You need to get the dealer to investigate the clunk and if a fluid change sorts it then fine, if not it’s their problem.

Post #626041 12th Mar 2022 8:54pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Mine (5.0SC) needed a gearbox software fix due to occasional thumping on kick down, nothing to do with the oil etc, but rather that the gear was not going in quickly enough and once it did go in the revs were higher so there was a bit of a thud down the driveline. This came up in some other threads too, LR have issued a bulletin about it but it is not a recall, only done for cars that have this issue. So you might like to get the dealer to check that out and, if relevant, apply the software fix before looking at changing the gearbox oil. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #626046 12th Mar 2022 10:22pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

At least the Italian test drive revealed the fault whilst the car is still under warranty Thumbs Up

I would get back to the dealer pronto, a 'clunk' is never a good sign with any car, let alone a FFRR !!!

Post #626049 12th Mar 2022 11:19pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I’d definitely be looking to change the transmission oil at that mileage, did mine at 60K and although I didn’t have any issues at the time, the gear change was noticeably smoother afterwards. If the dealer refuses to change it, I’d still look at getting it done and consider the transfer box at the same time, worth while especially if your keeping it.
Looks lovely by the way Thumbs Up

Post #626082 13th Mar 2022 5:26pm
lambo911

Thanks all.

I'll go and speak to the dealer tomorrow and try and find out if the transfer box and diff oil were done when it had it's 80k/60m service as they aren't shown on the service print out.
I'll also ask them what they'd charge for a gearbox oil service and also check if it has the latest software updates.

Cheers 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #626145 14th Mar 2022 12:51pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Centre prop-shaft bearing?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #626155 14th Mar 2022 5:21pm
lambo911

That could be a good call.

I crawled under the car yesterday and gave my prop a waggle, there was some side to side movement in the center bearing but not a lot. 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #626156 14th Mar 2022 5:29pm
lambo911

I spoke to the dealer and they said to do a reset on the transmission first to see if that works before anything else.

Of course they want to charge me for this... but said it would be done for free if I paid £1326.43 for them to change the transmission fluid Very Happy Laughing

I also asked about the transfer box and diff oil changes...

TB is £545.54 Shocked Shocked
Self locking Diff is £468 Shocked

The parts prices are ok, it is the £195 per hour labour charge I am struggling with.

So my plan is;

Change the oils in the TB and diff myself using LR parts £120, I have bought a transmission filler pump for £75 so that saves me about £818

Do a gearbox reset, I have an iCarsoft which might do it or I can try the reset method;
- Press Start button but don't turn on the engine.
- Press the Accelerator down to the floor for about 15 seconds.
- Hit the start button again to turn off the power.
- Remove foot from Accelerator.
- Wait for 2 Mins.
- Start the engine and Drive
Then it has to relearn which the dealer said could take up to 500 miles

And if that doesn't sort it, then I'll do the transmission oil change, Autodoc do the full ZF kit with oil for £240 (saves me £1186)

And if that doesn't sort it I will get it looked at on the warranty

I'll let you know how I get on ! 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #626315 16th Mar 2022 4:33pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Be careful reseting the gearbox adaptions, it can cause other damage to the gearbox, RR Phil has explained this before in other threads.
Definitely go with the oil changes, just follow the fill procedure for the gearbox I.E fill to plug while level with engine off. Then start up, run through gears while static, engage park and with engine running continue to fill until fluid runs out to a trickle. This should ideally be done with the gearbox oil between 30 - 50 degrees C. If your unable to measure the temp a good indication is the gearbox case should be Luke warm to the touch touch. Some diags boxes will measure this for you but unsure about the Icarsoft. Good luck

Post #626325 16th Mar 2022 6:31pm
lambo911

The car went in to LR for a health check and I asked them to investigate the 'clonk' and the lazy gear change.

They have said to change the gearbox oil first to see if that sorts it and quoted £590 (which is a lot less than they initially said - see my early post)

I want to get the oil change done but I am thinking this should be a warranty claim because LR say the gearbox oil doesn't need changing, therefore if they are saying to change it then that must be because there is a possible defect.

What do you think ? 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #627702 4th Apr 2022 12:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>