Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Slight clonk from drivetrain on downshift - normal ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

When mine had the gear change software fix done there was no suggestion of changing the oil first. The software fix was done under warranty with no charge to me. It cured the thudding on kick down.

What did the dealer say about the gearbox software bulletin? Maybe the gear oil in your car would benefit from a change due to its age and mileage, in which case it is just preventative maintenance rather than a warranty matter. If you search on here you should be able to find the received view on when gearbox oil ought best to be changed, from memory it might be about 60,000 miles. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #627710 4th Apr 2022 2:52pm
lambo911

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black

I am assuming it has the latest software as it was sold by a main dealer last May and it had a winter check and system check in December.

The service manager did suggest clearing the gearbox adaptive memory first before doing the oil, but then the technician that did the health check said to change the oil... so perhaps they are both guessing.

I guess I could bite the bullet and get them to change the oil and if it doesn't cure it then the warranty would kick in and then I could claim the oil change back from them... maybe ! 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #627712 4th Apr 2022 3:07pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The gearbox software fix is not one of the routine software updates, it is a bulletin item which the dealer said is only done if the car has problems, specifically thudding on kickdown, so it is probably not safe to assume that it has been done in the past. I'd ask the dealer about the bulletin specifically (it may be the dealer can find out from the service records whether it has been done) and if they don't know about the bulletin ask them to speak to LR about it.

For the avoidance of doubt the software fix is not just clearing the adaptive memory, it is about programming how the changes work.

If your mileage is such that the gearbox oil could do with being changed anyway then it makes sense to do it, otherwise why not see about the software fix as a warranty item before going to the expense of having the oil changed? Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #627718 4th Apr 2022 3:26pm
lambo911

I wonder if it is this bulletin https://www.tsbsearch.com/Land-Rover/SSM73409 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #627727 4th Apr 2022 4:19pm
Bora20

Canada 2013 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Does anyone know if the software update can be installed using the Gap IID Tool? Dan. 🇨🇦 2013 L405 5.0 SCV8

Last edited by Bora20 on 6th Apr 2022 3:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #627743 4th Apr 2022 5:57pm
lambo911

So I spoke to the warranty company and asked if an oil change would be covered as it is not a service item and they thought it would but the dealer would need to make a warranty claim.

I explained that to the dealer and it is now booked in to be done on the 26th April. I will ask them to make sure the latest software update is also done.

Watch this space !

Oh, I did the transfer box and diff oil changes myself. Really easy job if you have an oil pump for the refilling part.
I bought the oil from LR and the bottles come in individual boxes. The transfer box oil is labelled "Land Rover Special Transfer Box oil" but the diff oil is just bottle of Castrol SAF XO. Fortunately the LR price is similar to buying it from Euro Car Parts so all good. TB was about 1.4 litres and the Diff was 1 litre. 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #627938 6th Apr 2022 2:46pm
Bora20

Bora20 wrote:
Does anyone know if the software update can be installed using the Gap IID Tool?

I contacted Gap and purchased Fast Lane Service for the Transmission and Transfer Case ECU software updates. I installed them yesterday. Worked like a charm! The clunk is gone. Perfect for $84 🇨🇦. I should have tried this first before replacing components and oils (which needed replacing anyway). Dan. 🇨🇦 2013 L405 5.0 SCV8

Post #628106 8th Apr 2022 3:30pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Great news Thumbs Up

Did you connect a power supply to the car when performing the update? How long did it take to apply it? Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #628110 8th Apr 2022 4:22pm
Bora20

No I did not this time. The flash takes five minutes. The vehicle starts/stops several times on its own during calibration of the transfer case sensor and clutches.

I have had the car off longer than that while listening to the stereo waiting for my kids.

One thing people could try before flashing is to try recalibrating the tranfer case:

-Menu--Calibration--Transfer Case, proceed with calibrating both items.

You have to put the vehicle in neutral and put the parking brake on. Take your foot off the brake pedal though. I kept my foot on it the first time and calibration failed. Dan. 🇨🇦 2013 L405 5.0 SCV8

Post #628112 8th Apr 2022 4:30pm
lambo911

The car went into to LR today for an oil change, gearbox reset and latest software all done under warranty. I have only done a short low speed journey so I am not sure if the clunking issue is fixed yet but will keep you posted.

But just regarding the oil change, they have changed the oil and there is a shiny new filler plug but they haven't changed the sump pan and therefore the filter!

I just don't understand dealers, why don't they just do a proper job. The mechanic that did the oil change didn't even test drive the car before doing it so how was he going to know if he'd cured the issue. 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #629793 26th Apr 2022 5:37pm
will308f

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

it is very bad you would think that for the money they ask everything would be done right Rolling Eyes

Post #629996 28th Apr 2022 1:03pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I can’t believe they wouldn’t do a road test after completing a job such as this, its basic good practice IMO, and gives you confidence they actually care!

Post #630073 29th Apr 2022 10:00am
lambo911

Hi All, I did a few hundred miles over the weekend and the oil change has certainly smoothed out the gear changes so well worth doing.

The clonk is still there so I guess there is slack in the drivetrain somewhere.

Can I ask a question... when you are in park and you put it into R or switch between R and D, do you get a slight 'clonk' as it engages ? 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #630497 3rd May 2022 10:10am
MrWold

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black

As a newbie I've kept quiet but if no-one else is going to answer...
I don't, I feel it rather than hear anything. Chris

2014 FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Barolo Black
2012 RRS SDV6 HSE Baltic Blue
and before I saw the light:
2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara SZ5
1998 Ford Mondeo V6 Ghia X
1990 Citroen BX GTi
1973 Triumph GT6

Post #630620 4th May 2022 12:56pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I would not go as far as to say a clonk but you can hear it engage and feel it take the play up in the drivetrain which is normal especially when they get a bit of mileage on them.
If you can definitely hear a clonk or a bang that is not normal!

Post #630626 4th May 2022 1:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>