Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > Test drive today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
kevantlin

United Kingdom 
Test drive today

So today I had a 3 hour test drive in a D350.

I am coming from a new defender and placed my order and paid my deposit for a 460 in February

I was like an excited kid this morning. However after an hour of pootling about I returned to the dealer and changed my order for another defender.

Really sorry to report that I was underwhelned, don't get me wrong, it's a lovely motor, the disconnect for me came to the variance in price. You see the new defender is just so bloody good that I can’t justify more the doubling the price to get into a 460.

Interestingly I used a paid for sound meter app on my phone, drove the same peice of road at 60mph and the defender was slightly quieter ? (I can’t explain it either)

I wish all those transitioning the very best, I won’t be one of them. Really disappointed as I wanted to love it.

Post #628201 9th Apr 2022 6:24pm
BigFiat

United Kingdom 

Weird. Does the defender have noise cancelling speakers?

Post #628203 9th Apr 2022 6:33pm
Vogue4

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Carpathian Grey

New to the forum, although I have enjoyed reading over the last 9 years I have never logged on. I test drove the new FFRR today and was underwhelmed. It didn’t seem to be in anyway a better drive than my 9 year old L405, certainly no more refined despite noise cancelling tech. With the increase in price foisted on me, I have to consider if the price to change is just not worth it. I have also driven the new Defender and that is on a par with the new RR, in terms of its refinement. The standard seats in the HSE lack shoulder support, meaning an upgrade to the 24 way seats is needed, to get near the comfort afforded by my present Vogue SE. Have JLR taken advantage of the disease we all suffer from with these cars? I later sat in a BMW X7, nicer seats, but not an RR. Overall disappointing, having been a serial FFRR buyer over the past 20 years.

Post #628213 9th Apr 2022 8:32pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

The noise cancelling is only present in the headrests which is the most notable part on specs with the most premium sound system.

Post #628215 9th Apr 2022 9:00pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

Firstly, I want to thank vogue4 and kevantlin for their thoughts and reviews .Although slightly negative, I think we should all welcome such opinions, whether good or bad.

While some of us may not believe that the new L460 is much quieter than a Defender, (and that may be the case),but as buyers, we should also consider what our priorities are.

For me, the biggest leap forward with the new L460 is going to be comfort. I'm speaking from experience here.

Over the last 4 days, my wife and I have just driven our 22MY (December 21 registered), L405 5.0 AB Supercharged from our home in East Sussex to Marbella. While power hasn't been an issue, at all, our numb backsides certainly have!!!!

Having owned both a 66 plate V8 diesel, and an L405 V8, 2022MY L405, I can honestly say that the seats are not good enough for long drives overseas in this car.

However, I think the new L460 is, which on its own, is a good enough reason for me to change.

Post #628221 9th Apr 2022 9:31pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

I'm glad it isn't just me in this camp, I complained to LR about the seats in my new 2016 L405 years ago saying they felt uncomfortable over a long distance, the base was the worst but they said my csr was normal after testing it.
Let's hope the new car is much better but I do agree with refinement for the Defender, it really is a class above it's station and the standout featue but then I don't believe the buyers are looking for refinement in a Defender so a bit odd to make it so dam good.

Post #628224 9th Apr 2022 9:48pm
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

So - does either of you want to give me your slot 😂😂😂

The new defender has got to be the most over rated hipster wannabe car that JLR have ever produced 😂

I’m just glad we all like different things 👍

Post #628230 10th Apr 2022 12:21am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

The problem with the new Defender is the boot space even in the 110 is very poor compared to the FFRR - it’s just too narrow especially if you need to accommodate a dog box and other paraphernalia. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #628238 10th Apr 2022 5:19am
Eisbärhöhle

Germany 

Wow … a car enthusiastic forum where the first personal test drives are negative …. I guess the reality is this:

World economic meets test drive results

Post #628239 10th Apr 2022 7:26am
kevantlin

United Kingdom 

7CDB welcome to it, won’t get you the car until Feb 24 though 😳

The point made above about the boot space; my observations were that while the RR has a larger boot space, the square back design of the defender gives my dog way more space in the back that the slope back of the RR.

Can’t help think that this this is a case of emperors new clothes.

Post #628240 10th Apr 2022 7:32am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Fortunately we are all different.
I have yet to drive and probably wont until I drive mine away.
I test drove the new Defender and was terribly disappointed, handing it back after half an hour and ordering a 992. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #628241 10th Apr 2022 8:03am

United Kingdom 

I really wanted to like the Defender when it came out and when they dropped the V8 in I thought I would get one in between the 405 and the 460. But, regardless of how well it may drive, I could never live with the interior. It’s like driving a Transit van compared to a 405 AB. It does not have an interior of a luxury car so I haven’t even bothered to test drive one for this reason alone.

Post #628242 10th Apr 2022 8:12am
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

We had one on demo - as I thought it would be perfect for the wife/horse duties and all the crap that goes with it.

On the 3 door you have to be a contortionist to even think about getting in the back seats, they are a big lump in 5 door guise and do not have the room inside, the interior is hilarious and reminds me of what action man would of had.
My wife asked if I’d been hunting at Waitrose when I pulled up in it 😂😂

Post #628243 10th Apr 2022 8:23am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

May I just salute the brilliance of the phrase "what action man would've had" in describing the Defender interior. Bow down Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #628255 10th Apr 2022 10:38am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Maybe the Defenders I’ve driven were broken, because they weren’t as refined at motorway speeds as an L405. It’s clearly not supposed to have a Range Rover-style “luxury” interior, either.

Post #628266 10th Apr 2022 12:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>