Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > 2017 L405 TDV6 Brembo 6-pot brake upgrade?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Thumbs Up

Post #628757 16th Apr 2022 7:36am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Still waiting for bits to arrive, I need need a set of 12-point mounting bolts for the big Brembos (I found the rears OK) but can’t seem to find the LR part number for these, what size are they, & where can I get them, please? Bow down “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #629155 19th Apr 2022 9:20pm
Gremlin500

No takers? Lol, in that case I’ll answer my own question, in the hope it may be useful to others Laughing

The part I’m referring to is an M16 x 40 Torx high-tensile 12-point galvanised bolt LR033274 (2 per caliper) which should NOT be reused like a few of the YouTube vids do. The idea is you tighten to 133Nm +60deg. which “streches” the bolt slightly to max. out the clamping force. There is a risk of less holding force if reused, because the bolt could then go beyond its elastic limit.
I have seen this myself with big industrial brakes where M32 studs just got longer & longer, failing reach the torque wrench setting. Shocked

ALWAYS use new bolts! Thumbs Up

P.S. I will re-post to confirm correct part number/fit after installation, but if anyone can confirm, please do. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #629231 20th Apr 2022 3:59pm
Mikey

Scotland 

It's funny. These same bolts on D3/D4/RRS do not have to be replaced every use Laughing

Post #629243 20th Apr 2022 6:38pm
Gremlin500

Maybe LR had some issues and changed their advice in the workshop manual:

Anyway, for the paltry cost of a few bolts, is it worth the potential risk, however small?
I was only trying to explain that it’s for sound engineering reasons, and common practise, certainly on industrial brakes never to reuse critical fasteners, and that’s not even on “man-riding” equipment.

If some folks want to skimp, that’s up to them, but what about when they sell the vehicle? “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #629250 20th Apr 2022 7:57pm
Gremlin500

For the record, LR033274 is the part number of the front caliper mounting bolt.
Interestinly, the new item is a galvanised HT HEX head and not a 12-point like the original, I suppose we are talking LR here Rolling Eyes

Bit of a setback with my little project, -brakes peeps sent the wrong rear caliper brackets. Of course I didn’t realise until I’d got it all stripped down Big Cry All new brake hoses required at £300+ Censored Oh well looks like a busy BH Weekend for me if the parts arrive in time, -more soon!

One question which puzzles me? The WM says “remove engine undertray to access lifting points for axle stands” So, what’s the safest way to remove it? Offroad height and stands under sill jacking points, “Commando style” or is there a better way?
I’m a little worried about crawling under there BEFORE axle stands are in place? It seems a bit of a flawed idea for LR to cover the lifting points with the undertray? Shocked

Can someone enlighten me? Bow down “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #629782 26th Apr 2022 3:15pm
marcochezzi

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

I've just replaced the front swaybar bushes on my 2014..

I have a reasonably long trolley jack, which I positioned under the lifting points, which by the way are not completely covered, you can see the lifting points clearly however I used a piece of hardwood between the trolley jack 'cup' and the RR lifting point as I did not want the cup to cause damage on the undertray.

Jacked her such that I could get the axle stand under the traditional jack point on the side of the Fattie, one per side..

Removed the trolley jack, and then figured out I needed to remove the front underplate anyway.. Rolling Eyes

While the plate is not exactly hard to remove, the bolts are tight, thankfully we do not suffer much corrosion where I live and we do not use salt on our roads, otherwise I can well imagine those bolts and captive nuts rust together to some degree, and then you might well land up in a world of pain..

Post #629784 26th Apr 2022 3:43pm
Gremlin500

@marcochezzi:

Thank you for the good advice, I’ll follow your method and leave the tray in situ, that saves a load of time Bow down

Just praying for the parts to arrive by Friday and dry weather over the Weekend………… “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #629863 27th Apr 2022 10:03am
Gremlin500

Got more parts today:

Rear caliper mounting bolts SYG000013
Brake hose assy LR096526
Brake hose assy LR096525
Brake hose assy LR079544
Brake hose assy LR079543

Total cost £312.05 Shocked “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #629985 28th Apr 2022 11:21am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Were your brake hoses cracked or are you replacing based on time as per the service schedule? Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #629994 28th Apr 2022 12:58pm
will308f

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

a bit of an expenses month for you .....looking forward to seeing the results

Post #630000 28th Apr 2022 1:16pm
Gremlin500

@knwatkins:

Hoses were OK but fittings corroded and would need replacing for next MOT, so felt sensible to do them now during the brake upgrade, doing Lanogard at the same time, so hopefully these should not end up the same way as soon, car came from W coast of Scotland, which might explain why they need replacing a bit earlier than the recommended 6 years.

Will take pics & post them here when I’m done, in the hope others may want to do similar.

Thanks for your interest. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #630004 28th Apr 2022 2:35pm
Gremlin500

Teaser shot:
 “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #630251 30th Apr 2022 10:41pm
Gremlin500

Jeez! This one took me all day today, thanks to 2 VERY seized caliper mounting bolts, 1/2 tin of Plus Gas, one cartrige of gas, 600mm breaker bar had no effect. They succumbed eventually, but I need a bigger swear box! I’m amazed at the amount of corrosion in a 5y.o. car, why don’t manufacturers rustproof vehicles? 2nd thoughts, don’t answer that, lol! It’s just not in their best interests, is it? Doing all the brake hoses slowed me down a lot too, some of the little bracket bolts have rubbish access, and needed careful removal due to yes you guessed it, being seized up. I reassembled all these little fasteners with copper grease to prevent future tears. Big Cry “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #630323 1st May 2022 8:17pm
Gremlin500

All done! This is still a “before” shot, wheels all going away tomorrow to get done in Shadow Chrome, (I just think they are a bit too “silvery” for the body colour, but I don’t want to go too dark “bad boy” style with the wheels). After that, I’ve got a MY18 grille to fit and that’s it, I’ve spent quite enough, I think! Got the Lanogard kit already, so that’s my NEXT B/H Weekend taken care of, lol! Laughing

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #630417 2nd May 2022 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>