Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 no start no crank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Also one strange thing I noticed is that since I filled up the engine with fresh 9l of engine oil, when I go to the service menu in dashboard to check the oil level, I get 'not available' message. Before the oil change, it said, 'undefiled'. Does the engine need to run for the engine oil level sensor to be able to pick up the oil level info, or could it be something else?

Click image to enlarge

Post #630511 3rd May 2022 12:00pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

The oil level shows if you have the bonnet open and press the cruise cancel a few times. Once you get it running I'd run some engine flush through it and refill as from the state of the oil filter it's choked up with soot. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #630517 3rd May 2022 12:45pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Jesus... that oil filter is a right mess. What was the oil like that came out? A filter will always be black when it's removed but you should always be able to see the creases in the element like the new one. That one looks like it's loaded with sludge.

This is what I'd expect an old filter to look like: (Picture stolen from Google Images)

David 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #630522 3rd May 2022 2:14pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

OMG! the filter, is like a block of tar! something long term bad has been happening with your engine, which might have now come to a crescendo! i can only guess that the oil, wether its wrong oil, (cheap mineral oil?) or oil way past its sell by date, or some foreign additive has messed up the lubrication on the engine. im pretty sure you have a semi seized engine from what we already know from description earlier, and the state of the filter pictured. i was hoping it was external components dragging down the power of the starter motor. but i would be seriously thinking about dropping off the lower sump and getting a good look in the sum pan, and possibly undoing a con rod bearing cap and checking the state of the bearing material. if you have failed bearings, then the crankshaft can be replaced, or reground and oversized bearings.... but its an engine out, and strip down job.chances are that the rover covers, when removed will also show a ton of black death tar, which will need to be throughly cleaned. it would seen that your oil system has been compromised, and lack of oil coming in, from sump has run the bearings, making engine very tight. -not the 'end of days'... but a final protest before shutting itself off! WOW, thats hideous! never seen something that bad on modern engine.

Post #630524 3rd May 2022 2:18pm
dhallworth

For reference, this is what our 4.4 TDV8 sounds like when spinning over on the starter motor.

Ignore the chirping idler... it's on my list of things to do when the 4.2 is back together.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #630525 3rd May 2022 2:19pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Also noticed on you dash that the fuel gauge is showing empty which may be a reason it's not starting...... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #630526 3rd May 2022 2:19pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

.... bear in mind that these engines, are like £8500 new, without ancillaries, or turbos.... don't rush to nearest back street engine 'rebuilders' get a proper quote, and a ceiling price before opening the wallet, as there are a lot of dodgy people around 'rebuilding' engines... this youtube is good info. -note completely different engine, but the repair process is what you need to know etc. &t=399s

Post #630527 3rd May 2022 2:25pm
coopss

This was mine which shortly after turned out to be a failed head gasket. If you get a replacement make sure it’s from Land Rover or someone very reputable.

1995 4.6 v8, green/tan (long gone)
2005 4.8iS X5, blue/black
2011 4.4 tdv8, black/black (gone)
2003 3.0d X5, Oxford green/black/manual
2021 p575 SVR, BR green/vintage tan

Post #630584 3rd May 2022 9:34pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Alright guys, so acknowledging all the above post about the near certainty that there is something mechanically wrong with the engine itself given the terrible state of the engine oil, this morning I installed the new starter . put in the new 400A MEGA fuse and removed the serpentine belt (checked all the pulleys and ac / ps pumps - all felt smooth so this certainly wasn't the problem). Tried starting the engine twice (didn't want to go blowing the fuse again) and I have to say that this time it didn't feel slow when spinning. I'm not sure however whether that's just me, or the new starter has more grunt or the old starter was faulty and caused the fuse blowing. As I said, I only tried starting it twice as I didn't;'t want to post it and blow the fuse in case it wasn't the starter's fault. Here is the video of start both attempts:

Post #630778 6th May 2022 1:09pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Here is the start attempt no 1. Started of a bit slow but than it picked up in speed

Post #630780 6th May 2022 1:16pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Here is the second attempt:

Post #630781 6th May 2022 1:18pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

coopss wrote:
This was mine which shortly after turned out to be a failed head gasket. If you get a replacement make sure it’s from Land Rover or someone very reputable.

How come a head gasket issue was causing this? It looks like very similar symptoms to what I'd been having (blowed MEGA fuse possibly due to a faulty starter or more likely a tight/faulty engine)

Post #630782 6th May 2022 1:21pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

It sounds to be turning over quickly enough to start. With it turning over as it now does, I suggest that if it doesn't fire within about 2 seconds then don't persist.

Post #630784 6th May 2022 1:26pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

johnboyairey wrote:
.... bear in mind that these engines, are like £8500 new, without ancillaries, or turbos.... don't rush to nearest back street engine 'rebuilders' get a proper quote, and a ceiling price before opening the wallet, as there are a lot of dodgy people around 'rebuilding' engines... this youtube is good info. -note completely different engine, but the repair process is what you need to know etc. &t=399s

Thanks John,

yes, I'm well aware of all these scam engine rebuilders. Already done a lot of research into this topic.. If it does indeed turn out that the engine needs a rebuild, I I'm most likely going to take it out myself and have the block and heads properly rebuild by a local reputable engine shop. Depending on what the problem is and how much money I will have to throw at it, I will than have to make a decision whether to fix this engine/ sell it for parts and just buy a different second hand engine or just sell the whole car for parts and than buy a new second hand l322 that actually works..

Post #630785 6th May 2022 1:26pm
dhallworth

That sounds like it’s down on compression to me.

I do agree that it sounds like it’s spinning to fast and a lack of compression could account for that.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #630786 6th May 2022 1:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>