Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > First test drive impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Quote:
Adara huge thanks for taking the time to write such a helpful review!

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Do you know if your test drive car had the new fancy dampers?

I don't think so, I looked at the upper end and it was just the connector we have now. When I'll have the car for a longer drive, I'll inspect that...

Quote:
- you feel you are in something new and special (it reminds me of my first go in an L405)

Yes, it is a great achievement in design and comfort, especially when compared to the competition, which often just adds more bling, or makes dubious decisions in the looks department...

Quote:
- the ride quality is much improved; very smooth and beautifully damped

It is improved, certainly. I'll have to take the new one to my usual commute, as there are some places where the L405 rattles...

Quote:
- the seats are softer and more comfortable

Actually my impression was that they are harder (than mine), but they are very comfortable indeed!

Quote:
- the sound system is just awesome!

I don't think it improves on the current one, but a longer listen is required. I have a song that I use for bass test (Nipsey Hussle - Blue Laces 2) because it has very low frequencies and those are reproduced better on my system... It's not really my cup of tea, but it has much lower sounds than anything I tried, including electronic music...

Quote:
- to my surprise I liked the new gear selector (and I can see it is safer)

You still cannot make out the position without looking, but I guess it calms down the BMW users, who might think the rotary control is for the media!
The irony is that many SUV manufacturers now use rotary shifters: Kia (Sorento, Sportage), Ford (Edge, Mach-E), Chrysler, etc.

Here is an article from 2 months ago that praises the dial gear selector:
"You push a button or dial a rotary for sport drive, eco drive and off road ability; why should your gear selector still be a relic from the 1970s?"
"The elimination of the mechanical shifter means a lot of space has been freed. This results in more cup holders, a cubby under the center console, wireless charge pads, more USB and 12V ports, slide out drawers, etc."
"Dial shifters add to the art of a car's interior."
I love this one: "You don’t always know which gear you’re in by looking at the shifter. I always look for a light on the dashboard, too, to know which gear I’m in (because there’s nothing like plowing into your garage door when you think you’re in drive but you’re actually in reverse). The dial shifter solves that: Dial ‘R’ and you’re in reverse. Dial ‘D’ and you’re in drive. Dial ’S’ and you’re in sport. Simple, sublime and confident."

Quote:
- cameras are much improved

Camera views - cameras have the same resolution, I think.

Quote:
- I like the simplified seat controls as they are easier to use

I never had a problem operating the current ones, they are very intuitive and, most important, can be used without taking the eyes from the road.

Quote:
- wireless CarPlay, thank you!

And it works well!

Quote:
- the fridge area is much better (I can never remember which lever opens which part on mine)

True, but yet another storage space gone...

Quote:
Jobs for the facelift:

- Please improve the climate buttons (ie between the two dials). I expect a tactile and ergonomic delight from such parts of the car but these were a disappointment. I thought they were touch sensitive but they seem to require a very firm press of the whole panel which surprised me, and not in a good way.

Actually, I didn't check that, I only used the rotary controls...

Quote:
- Please allow the selection of both side cameras at the same time. The most used camera view (in my humble opinion) is both sides of the car at once (for parking, avoiding the curbs in a car park, or going through a toll booth, or through a width restriction). I couldn’t summons that view except in the off-road setting.

I actually gave up on camera selection controls, it takes so much time to acces them...

Quote:
- Please improve the steering wheel controls. Some controls (eg volume) are a stretch now which means you have to take your eyes off the road to use them.

Yes, they actually even harder to use than the current ones, or am I already familiar with them?

Quote:
- Please make the indicator click a little louder; I couldn't hear it at all with the stereo on at modest levels, so had to visually check it was on.

That is true!

Quote:
- Please find a better location for the internal door lock / unlock buttons. They are a stretch to reach and hard to see.

Agree.

Quote:
- Please enable the HUD to show navigation instructions from CarPlay 🙂

I don't think anyone allows that...

Quote:
- Above all, please consider including some previous RR customers in some sort of panel to provide input to the car’s detail design - I am sure things like the arm resting on the door cards would be picked up by owners and that would help the design process.

Now, that would be a brilliant thing! 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #630601 4th May 2022 9:56am
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

EdJ wrote:
One question for those who have test driven the car, they made a big noise about "Alexa" being included as standard in the L460. What can Alexa do / not do? For example, can you ask Alexa to "lower the car"? Or "increase lumbar support in driver's seat"?

I hate having to go into a screen to change anything, but if Alexa is able to perform these features, it might be at the very least, a safer option.

I forgot about Alexa, but from what I read, it mostly does things related to multimedia, calendar and navigation (play roadtrip mix, what is my next appointment, take me to a restaurant, etc.)... Many of those can already be done with Siri (find destinations, open front gate, turn on home lights, etc.) or Google. Alexa also allows the use of voice with the LR Remote App through Skills (are the car doors locked, how much fuel do I have, etc.)... But the Alexa Skills already work in the current model with the LR Remote App. Alexa won't raise the interior temperature or lower the suspension, for instance. Also, from all the assistants I'm using, I think Alexa hates me the most. 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #630602 4th May 2022 10:18am
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Thanks for clarifying that, adara. Yes, so Alexa isn't quite the advance I was led to believe at the launch. Like you say, I use all of this with Siri on CarPlay! 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #630603 4th May 2022 10:24am
Freddy Bear

United Kingdom 

Thanks Adara.

Interesting on the sound system. I have the middle one on my L405 (Surround I think). The L460 AB I drove had the top one (Signature) and I thought it sounded fabulous, and better than the top system I had on my previous L405 SV AB.

On the gear selector I think the reason for change is someone was killed by their own vehicle with the rotary selector - the driver thought it was in park but it wasn't - hence now you have to press a button to engage park.

In the UK a 350D does come with Electronic Air Suspension with Dynamic Response Pro and Electronic Active Differential with Torque Vectoring by Braking, so I suspect your test car had them too. But I do note your comment that it didn't look any different. Keen to know how much difference they make but that would require a drive in a car without them, and there don't seem to be many of those around.

Here is my dilemma: I would like a P510e PHEV and LWB and the Dynamic Response Pro etc (assuming they contribute to the excellent ride quality I experienced). But you can't order those things in combination, so would you go for:

1. A SWB P510e with the Dynamic Response Pro etc or
2. A LWB P440e without the Dynamic Response Pro or
3. A LWB or SWB D350 with the Dynamic Response Pro

I'd love to know everyone's thoughts on that please!

Post #630610 4th May 2022 10:53am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Good review Adara, I enjoyed that and everyone's comments.

I much prefer someone who is a FF owner like yourself doing a review, using their L405 as comparison.
Press reviews deal with every car and by people who mainly are not owners, and have had little time with the models to give an accurate comparison.

FreddyBеаr option 1 for me if I had the cash Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #630637 4th May 2022 2:52pm

United Kingdom 

Freddy, assuming you don’t need LWB for 7 seats I would have option 1. If they can’t supply me with a V8 I will switch to option 1 myself.

Post #630644 4th May 2022 6:11pm
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Freddy, I'm a bit biased since I'm going for option #1 myself... But if I were living in the UK, I would have gone for #3.

Post #630645 4th May 2022 7:01pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Dynamic Response is a must for me. If it’s about company car tax then it’s option 1 otherwise, given you said you quite liked the D350, option 3 with a choice of LWB/SWB is the way to go. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #630646 4th May 2022 7:24pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Has anyone had it confirmed yet that Holding Pool orders are safe with the P530 engine? Or are they at risk too with the ‘suspension’?

Post #630662 4th May 2022 11:35pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

Freddy Bear wrote:

Here is my dilemma: I would like a P510e PHEV and LWB and the Dynamic Response Pro etc (assuming they contribute to the excellent ride quality I experienced). But you can't order those things in combination, so would you go for:

1. A SWB P510e with the Dynamic Response Pro etc or
2. A LWB P440e without the Dynamic Response Pro or
3. A LWB or SWB D350 with the Dynamic Response Pro

I'd love to know everyone's thoughts on that please!

Hi Freddy,

Like you my dilemma continues........

Most importantly for me, having reached the point where I'm sick of paying for cars out of my own pocket, which is a lot of money on a car like this after paying your 40% tax in order to take that money home, for me, it now has to be a PHEV - 100%, and my company can pick up the bill.

Personally, I do prefer the look of the LWB PHEV, but with that, as you say, you can't get the Dynamic Response Pro.

That said, someone I was recently talking to, pointed out that cars made without Dynamic Response Pro will still have some kind of anti roll system, and one which will be much improved over the L405. So, I think this idea that cars without DRP are going to be wallowing all over the road, simply isn't true - I still think they'll be OK. I guess if you're going to drive it really hard then it matters, but for me, I'm not convinced it's a real must.

Personally, based on your list, I'd go for option 2, followed by option 1.

I'm sure the new diesels will be good, but I guarantee you'll still be able to hear them on tickover, and when sat in traffic, with the real teller being when you turn the engine off - That's when you'll notice there's been a noise, if that makes sense.

All that said, I'm in exactly the same place as you. I have your option 2 currently spec'd in Autobiography, but I'm now considering option 1 in SV form, simply because I like this SV colour, Varesine Blue.

However, that will still feel like a compromise, as I can't spec 23' wheels and my preferred LWB is not available in the PHEV variant...... JLR aren't exactly making this easy!!!

Post #630666 5th May 2022 12:30am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Autobiography wrote:
Has anyone had it confirmed yet that Holding Pool orders are safe with the P530 engine? Or are they at risk too with the ‘suspension’?

I spoke to my dealer yesterday, their demo 530 has chassis and engine number allocated and is imminent to them. He expects me to get mine July ish. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #630667 5th May 2022 6:04am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

aja500: If you can live with the noise levels of the 405 5.0SC you ought to be able to live with the 460 D350, especially if in AB spec with noise cancelling. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #630683 5th May 2022 10:48am
Bill

United Kingdom 

adara wrote:
. Also, from all the assistants I'm using, I think Alexa hates me the most.

Adara, you must of been very wicked in a former life….

Many thanks for your review and everyone else’s comments. Far more informative than a visit to the smug sold out dealer!

What surprises me most , is that JLR cannot troll this forum, if they did they would know how really important storage space is & as for the missing sunglass holder….

Low cost , keep the customer happy , items

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #630693 5th May 2022 12:24pm

United Kingdom 

Autobiography wrote:

No. Mine was holding pool and now suspended. I am wondering if I should wait or switch to a p510 which I don’t really want. Also, if I switch will that put me at the back of the queue?

Post #630695 5th May 2022 12:41pm
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

aja500 wrote:
That said, someone I was recently talking to, pointed out that cars made without Dynamic Response Pro will still have some kind of anti roll system, and one which will be much improved over the L405. So, I think this idea that cars without DRP are going to be wallowing all over the road, simply isn't true - I still think they'll be OK. I guess if you're going to drive it really hard then it matters, but for me, I'm not convinced it's a real must.

That's a very good point, aja500!

In the description of Dynamic Reaponse Pro it says: "Integrated Chassis Control with Dynamic Response Pro provides supreme ride comfort using Electronic Air Suspension that primes the vehicle for corners using eHorizon data to read the road ahead and provide appropriate responses".

Even if DRP is an active system, it doesn't seem to be similar to the Audi A8 Predictive Active suspension that uses a front-facing camera which scans the road ahead to pre-set the suspension for a smooth ride. I expect that when DRP uses navigation data to "read the road ahead", that will require that the built-in navigation system to be active in order for it to work. Navigation data will provide much less road condition data (lesser ability to do a predictive smoothening of the suspension) than a front facing camera. When navigation isn't active, I guess DRP only uses gyros to respond to turning forces and rolling in near real time.

But of course, I'm also eager to get the DRP system, it will most likely be much better than the L405 anti roll system, and a gigantic improvement to our current boat-like L322 Very Happy

Post #630725 5th May 2022 7:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>