Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > First test drive impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Freddy Bear

United Kingdom 

5.0, Aja500, Phil, Eirik34 - huge thanks for your very helpful thoughts.

You made me remember the main reason for getting the new car in the first place - and that was the PHEV range combined with a 6 cylinder engine. I can do 85% of my driving days on battery only, and on the rare occasions my journeys are longer there is a 6 cylinder engine to call on. I find that compelling.

Next up this car looks good as a LWB, and when I have others in the back of my L405 I wish there was more space. So does my dog - he can jump in but there isn't the space for him to jump down from his cage on the rear seats to the car floor, so I have to lift him out. Every time he looks at me as if to say the experience is not very luxurious.

I'd like to compare the ride between a car with and without the Dynamic Response Pro, but as aja500 says the standard setup is unlikely to be poor, and almost certainly better than our current cars. I don't think I can prioritise between the PHEV and space, so am hopeful the P440e LWB is the answer. That has compromises for sure - no Dynamic Response Pro, and not a P510e. But I will stick 23 inch wheels on it and so equipped think it offers the lowest potential for regret. If I get the diesel I will wonder why didn't I get the PHEV. And if I get the SWB I will wish I had the LWB.

Of course I fully reserve the right to change my mind in the morning!

5.0 I feel for you - do let us know what you find out regarding your place in the queue and your engine choice.

Thanks Adara, for starting this thread so wonderfully, and thanks everyone for your generous time and thoughtfulness.

Post #630742 5th May 2022 9:49pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

5.0 wrote:
Autobiography wrote:
Has anyone had it confirmed yet that Holding Pool orders are safe with the P530 engine? Or are they at risk too with the ‘suspension’?

No. Mine was holding pool and now suspended. I am wondering if I should wait or switch to a p510 which I don’t really want. Also, if I switch will that put me at the back of the queue?

I'm sorry to hear this 5.0 - You shouldn't go to the back of the queue if you have an existing CON / COMMS Number. This will likely start with 16.

Just change it to something 5.0, worse case scenario, if you don't like it or it feels like too much of a compromise, sell it then get another ordered at a later date - Something has to be better than nothing, and whatever happens with the economy, if you really don't like it, they'll always be someone who'll pay full list and over, not to have to wait.

Post #630747 5th May 2022 10:48pm

United Kingdom 

aja500, good to hear you don’t think I will lose my place in the queue! If I don’t get any assurances regarding getting a V8 soon then I will ask to switch to a p510 PHEV. I would rather do this than have an indefinite wait.

Post #630751 6th May 2022 7:04am
Freddy Bear

United Kingdom 

5.0 I agree with aja500 in that you shouldn't lose your place in the queue.

For those of us who ordered before seeing or driving a car I think it is entirely reasonable to want to refine the spec (by which I mean change anything including engine and wheelbase) as we learn more about the car. All the more so in a situation where the manufacturer is removing the very engine you chose! I do hope you are properly looked after.

Post #630758 6th May 2022 8:28am

United Kingdom 

Thanks Freddy. I agree that makes sense but you never really know how these things will work for sure. Especially with the current supply chain issues making any allocations difficult to rationalise. The factory does what it wants and the dealers haven't got much more of a clue than we have about what's going on. It's the same at BMW. I ordered a car and it took almost a year to come through. Other customers got the same model with 2 or 3 month's wait. It can be down to slight specification differences or dealer allocations or heaven knows what other reasons! I do know that if you change spec then it's a good excuse for them to bump you down the list.

I remember in the early days of L405 production the V8s were in short supply to the UK market and I had to wait a long time even though I had one of the first orders in. Other larger markets than the UK predominantly choose the V8 which can limit supply to the UK.

It would just be helpful to know what is going on so I could make a decision. I would rather take a p510 now than wait a year or so for a V8, especially as I sold my L405 last week Laughing

Post #630766 6th May 2022 10:23am
EdJ

United Kingdom 

I test drove a Charente grey AB LWB D350 with perlino leather yesterday.

Firstly, apart from the engine and LWB, this is very similar to the car I've ordered. Certainly in terms of colour scheme and I have to say I really liked it. I had been tempted by the green but I've decided to stick with the Charente grey.

The test drive was with the dealer (same for others?) which is never the same as going for a drive on your own, is it? The dealer was great and just let me get on with it, but I didn't test many aspects of the tech (eg CarPlay, Pivo Pro, massage seats, sound system etc). So, I don't really feel I can give as comprehensive a review as some of you have done.

That said, I thought the car was a significant step up from my L405. The ride was noticeably better, and especially the roll when going around bends. I took a slip road to the motorway that I know very well, and in my L405, I'd have to slow right down or my passengers would be complaining. The difference with the new car was quite remarkable. It felt much more like a saloon car than an SUV.

I also felt that the seats were much more comfortable than my current car. Softer leather, and more contoured.

The D350 was a lovely engine, and I almost wondered whether I'd done the right thing going for the PHEV. I think if my typical journey were slightly longer, it would be a no brainer, but to say I was impressed by the engine would be a big understatement. Silky smooth and effortlessly powerful.

Build quality felt very good. I've always noticed the quality in modern Porsches being a step up from Land Rover, and this was the first FFRR I've been in that matched the Porsches. Very solid and reassuring.

I didn't really get the chance to play with the gear stick - I think that I will miss the rotary selector in the current car but I was glad that LR have finally put a foot brake hold on the FFRR.

I tried out the Tailgate Event Suite (which I have spec'd because - heck - why not) and whilst it's probably not worth £1k, it is pretty cool.

I asked about delivery, the dealer told me that no customer spec'd cars were being built yet, but every time a car is finished, they try and match it with a customer car if at all possible. I asked whether that would mean I might get a call saying we've got a car for you that matches everything except - say - the rear TV screens? He seemed to suggest that might happen, but I don't think he really knew.

Shame, as I have to say, I really want to get this car now - hope I don't have to wait too long! 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #631047 9th May 2022 8:51am
Gunning

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Currently driving around in a d350 LWB AB and I’ll be honest, I much prefer the LWB AB spec over my HSE swb…
 19 L405 4.4 AB + Disco3 pick up + 800BHP Rothmans 911

Previous RR:
ALOT

Post #631269 11th May 2022 8:16am
FlyingTrotter

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

What colour is that in please - looks good in that light

Post #631313 11th May 2022 3:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123