Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Making the step to EV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Caesium

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Making the step to EV

I’m thinking about making the jump to an EV in the form of a Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo.

Anyone else got an EV and thoughts (good or bad) they can share? Christian.

Current Cars
2011 Range Rover Vogue SE
2020 BMW M4 Competition
2019 BMW X4

My RR Blog: www.facebook.com/L322Project
or
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic61540.html

Post #638871 6th Aug 2022 7:05pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

We're replacing our vehicles with EVs, It's a shame JLR hasn't got a full EV yet indeed, esp. a RR.
EDIT I mean LR full EV l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Last edited by verydisco on 13th Aug 2022 5:30am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #638973 7th Aug 2022 9:19pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
Re: Making the step to EV

Caesium wrote:
I’m thinking about making the jump to an EV in the form of a Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo.

Anyone else got an EV and thoughts (good or bad) they can share?

You need to consider your useage, if you have regular long trips have a look at the Range and charging points en route.
I made the change 3 years ago and I wouldnt go back, the Porker is a nice EV. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #638979 8th Aug 2022 3:41am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

verydisco wrote:
We're replacing our vehicles with EVs, It's a shame JLR has got a full EV yet indeed, esp. a RR.

They do... the I-Pace is a full EV and has been around since 2018. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #639287 11th Aug 2022 11:00am
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Been looking at I Pace for a while now. They ain't cheap are they? And with the cost of electric being stupid at the moment lots to ponder. Am I also right in thinking that the Govt have only promised no road tax (yes, I know it's not really road tax but that's what we call it) on EV up until 2024 or have I made that up?

Post #639290 11th Aug 2022 12:46pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

My folks ordered a fully loaded IPace HSE last May and took delivery of it in November.

RRP on theirs with the options was just over £85k. Annoyingly though, they are holding strong residuals! Annoying for me as I want one, not for them though! Laughing

It's a great car, really quick, really quiet, and loaded with toys.

There's more tyre noise on it then we were expecting so we'll be looking for a set of Pirelli NCS tyres for it at some point. The seats aren't as comfy as the Range Rover either but it's by no means uncomfortable. All in all, they're very pleased with it though. Also, as the RR was at this price point for a fully loaded one over 10 years ago it's not a fair comparison despite it being the other car in his stable.

They've got a 3 phase supply at home so can charge it at 11Kw. They don't do huge mileage so charge it every couple of weeks at home. The thing they had to get used to when doing longer trips to Wales or Lincolnshire to see family was stopping more often for a "top up" charge rather then running it low and taking it to 100%. They charge fastest between 20 and 80% so keeping it in the "sweet spot" will see it charging at 100Kw on a rapid charger.

I've driven it a few times now including a trip to Wales and back in 24hrs to collect the cylinder heads for my Range Rover and am really taken by it. You can drive it on one pedal and with the regenerative braking turned up to high you can drive it very quickly on one pedal. As the weight of the battery pack is so low in the car it handles very well and feels very composed through the bends.

In summary, if I could afford to swap my wife's car for a 21 or 22MY IPace I would in a heart beat, even though she's not convinced.

Pictures were taken after it had it's 2 day ceramic coating in January.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #639297 11th Aug 2022 2:10pm
archermav

Lovely thing that. I'm shopping at the lower end of the market Big Cry but the more I read up/view em the more tempted I am. My man maths also thinks of saving £550 a year road tax.

Realistically, any ideas as to the costs to your parents re charging at home?

Post #639305 11th Aug 2022 3:28pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

Home charging costs are very variable as the tarriffs are currently moving up so fast and it depends when you renew and what scheme you're on. But you can do ball park sums easily. Most EVs get ~ 4miles/kWhr depending how driven, just like with petrol. Toe it everywhere and you'll get less than 2! You'll also get some losses through the charging process but basically if you multiply your milage by your leccy rate divided by 4 then you'll get a fair idea. If the car will be your biggest draw then you can go with something like Octopus go which gives a 4 hour window overnight very cheap 7.5p, but a very high rest of the time rate ~ 40p?. We're all electric in the house so heating/hot water the biggest draw and have opted for an economy 7 style service currently 17p/27p. So our i3 typically charges in the overnight window at roughly £2 for 50 miles. HTH Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #639313 11th Aug 2022 4:07pm
Mikey

Scotland 

We've an electric Mini on order for the wife, to replace her Disco Sport

Her average daily run consists of 2 miles to school and back, twice a day. One a week, she does a 24 mile round trip to see her cousin

She doesn't need a huge range, and a list price of £28-35k, it's quite affordable too.

But I have secretly been eyeing up an I-Pace, I just can't get on board with spending £60k+

Post #639319 11th Aug 2022 5:22pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I have a BMW i3, wifey has a Mitubishi Outlander PHEV, both are great cars in very different ways. The Outlander has a daily trip of 6 miles to/from work 6 days per week and she goes line dancing once per week which is a 50 mile round trip. Most of the use is on electric and it's great, very cheap to run and works for us. Going further afield it will use the engine but even then manages a very respectable 45 - 55 mpg. We are looking to change the PHEV to the new MGZ5 estate but we cant test / view one until December. It looks a smart well engineered car, good tech and being Chinese will be reliable. Starting price of around £26k and range of 270 miles.

The i3 is staying!

In terms of charging costs my i3 averages 5 miles / kWh so 7.5p / 5 = 1.5p per mile.

Octopus GO is a great tariff and seem to be the most popular one between EV owners. This year I've added solar PV panels and a battery. We now dont use any Peak Rate electricity but the meter must be busy during the night with 2 x EV, Tumble Dryer, Washing Machine, Storage Battery all waking up for a feed. The last 4 weeks or so I havent charged my car on the off peak tariff, I've used the surplus daytime solar energy giving me free fuel. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #639333 11th Aug 2022 6:40pm
Paul J.

England 

Had this for nearly 4 years now, and intend keeping it for at least the next few years. It’s the best car I’ve had by a long way. Cool

Once you go down the EV route, you won’t go back to ICE. Gone D3
Gone FFRR L322
Gone FFRR L405
Now on the JLR electric highway ....

Post #639344 11th Aug 2022 8:55pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

archermav wrote:
Been looking at I Pace for a while now. They ain't cheap are they? And with the cost of electric being stupid at the moment lots to ponder. Am I also right in thinking that the Govt have only promised no road tax (yes, I know it's not really road tax but that's what we call it) on EV up until 2024 or have I made that up?

You can get special tariffs for charging EV. It’s night time and currently 0.075 per kw unit .

Octopusgo

The day time charge for the house might be a bit lumpy … have two suppliers???? Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #639345 11th Aug 2022 9:53pm
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

There could be something in having 2 suppliers - if you have a detached garage you could "rent it out to someone" who then gets a new supply installed to you charge from the garage at night (with say Octopus) & run your house with another supplier that has a good daytime rate.

I would not factor in zero road tax (it's called that on the .gov website) because as the chief beancounter in no11 sees a serious shortfall that will go.

Certainly electric makes sense at the moment, but what if the costs of electricity goes up 10 fold & fossil fuels remain the same because there is less demand because so many have gone electric ?
Oil will still be extracted - after all, where will all the plastics come from otherwise.

& what happens if they (as in the experts) have got it wrong again ?
Nuclear Power (in the 30/70's) - "electricity too cheap to meter".
North Sea Oil - "we will have the best, roads, transport, schools, healthcare".
Diesel cars - we all know about that one from the 80's.

Very uncertain times ahead.

Post #639368 12th Aug 2022 8:27am
archermav

Excellent replies, definitely something to ponder. Didn't realise that you can get the cheaper night night tariff for a start.

Post #639375 12th Aug 2022 8:58am
Bill

United Kingdom 

Not just cheaper night time rate, which is actually only a bit lower than normal rate, ie economy 7 , but a very special rate for cars/ battery charging between 12.00 and 3.30 or similar. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #639378 12th Aug 2022 9:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>